PDA

View Full Version : Swinton swindlers

jonzi
17-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Currently my bike is registered at my parents address in Uxbridge, but I am moving in with my girlfriend at E10.

I just called Swindlers, and they want an extra £500 to change to this address.

This would put my insurance up to £1700.

Not happy with this.

I can understand it being high because it's the first year of my license, no no claims etc. but £500 to move it to E10 is a joke.

So a question. If I leave Swinton now, after 6 months, can I transfer the 6 months of NCB I would have accrued to another insurance company?

Or should I pay the difference? Or keep the bike registered at the folks for 6 months and move with one years NCB?

J.P
17-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Even if you left the bike registered at your parents you'd still have to declare where you leave it overnight. A garage makes a big difference to cost.

you won't get 6 months NCB, you cancel, you lose it. But phone around for other quotes, it might be cheaper to cancel now and get a cheaper policy, but I'd be surprised.

Nickj
17-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Think yourself lucky that you aren't moving to a more expensive insurance area, then who would want to move to manor park.

There is another option, move to a cheaper area like Truro or Dumferline.

jonzi
25-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Just been looking about at other insurers and got 2 quotes from bwhh.co.uk

Insurer Aviva Equity Red Star
Premium £2976.34 £11387.64

11 grand!

Is insurance pricing regulated as this is a joke

steeevvvooo
26-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Check ALL the comparison sites. Compare the market, confused, go compare, tesco compare etc. Not all insurers quote on the, all.

Had fun with my renewal yesterday too... £300 for the monster and £350 ish for the 749r when quoting individually, 4 years no claims, 1 theft almost 5 years ago, garaged in Bromley. Bear in mind I can only ride one at a time, and will do less miles on each bike compared to having a single bike...Multibike policy is £750! :dunce:

I know policies are based on risk, but the only extra risk for having 2 bikes is that both will be nicked together. I can't crash both at the same time and won't do twice as many miles :twak:

The first years no claims makes a big difference. Try asking if you can have a big excess when you move? Might help a little.