PDA

View Full Version : Monster 1000. Can someone help me ???

justmario
11-12-2003, 10:28 AM
I took a look at forum posts about Monster 1000 but I didn't find
what I looking for.
I would like to know your impression in terms of ride pleasure,fun
and so forth.
I heard this byke is very funny, more than S4 and S4R because
very high torque level and not exagerated horse power make
it very usable in tipical situation where more hp are unnecessary.
Simply put, S4 and S4R are amazing but I am convinced they are
too much for people who wouldn't ride in a speedway.
Is it your opinion as well?

Sorry form my bad english.

P.S. Can any owner of M1000
tell me about its top speed?:D

Billy Bigwheels
11-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Had mine on a Dyno & it confirmed how the bike feels - constant smooth torque througout the rev range. Needs less reving than the S4's and it was the bike I bought after testing them both. You should find a review on the site here somewhere as our man Fatbloke was one of (if not) the first in the UK to ride it.

Had mine for 9 months now and just love it more & more. Brilliant bike.

Top speed (and then I had to back off) 135mph - plenty and one of the few times I've used 6th gear.

Take both bikes out though cus you may prefer one of the S's - each to his own and all that!!

justmario
11-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the post !!
I hope I could early ride the M1000 .
I have tried the S4 but it seemed to me it has a hole in the
the lower part of torque range. When you
suddenly rotate the gas it seems to babble but after
it has an explosion of power.
I love all DUCATI byke but I prefer to ride a bike that
well respondes at my gas opening even it hasn't an high top speed.

Billy Bigwheels
12-12-2003, 07:54 AM
I agree with you. The 1000 will definately give you that response at all speeds.

Let us know how you get on.

justmario
12-12-2003, 09:00 AM
It seems to me that there isn't in England a lot of people
that bought this bike.
In Italy the internet forums are full o bikers who love and
have bhought M1000 and wuold like to show to others because they love and prefer this bike to other one.

Why other bikers don't posts their impression..??:lol:

re-sorry for my bad english but, as you could see, it isn't my
mother tongue.

nik_the_brief
12-12-2003, 09:27 AM
Your english is probably far better than the italian spoken by the majority of people here Mario, no need to apologise!

I generally get by in foreign climes by just SHOUTING IN ENGLISH until people understand me (or at least pretend to!) :)

Steve James
12-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Hi all

Well! Has anyone anything to say (good or bad) about the Monster 1000?
I`m on the verge of buying one, on the drip unfortunateley (if other things fall through!)
Is it a good bike (well it`s a Monster!)?
Pro`s and cons please, as the holiday will be getting sacrificed and it will be all your fault ;)

Steve

justmario
13-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Steve James
Hi all

Well! Has anyone anything to say (good or bad) about the Monster 1000?
I`m on the verge of buying one, on the drip unfortunateley (if other things fall through!)
Is it a good bike (well it`s a Monster!)?
Pro`s and cons please, as the holiday will be getting sacrificed and it will be all your fault ;)

Steve

What I know about this bike is that it has a lot of pro
and very little number of con.
It is more reliable than other DUCATI bike because DUCATI
modify and simplify old M900 engine to make it easier and
to give it a little of power plus. A lot of people that
tried or own it say it has a very thrilling torque level.
It hasn't an high power level respect to JAP bike but you
know that it isn't very important in a naked bike.

Another thing I have to say is service cost is less expensive
than liquide cooled engine, almost 30~50 % less.

Can someone deny my last assertion.

Melnie Mouse
13-12-2003, 09:16 AM
hi, the m1000 if new one is the DS model which is Dual spark, very nice smooth engine, smoother than S4.. although I haven't ridden one, I have ridden the multi-strada with same engine, and I like it.. love it infact apart from not being able touch floor as well as a monster, so that engine in the monster sound perfect combination to me... I'd go for it, the S4R is faster but if you're not fussed i'd go for M1000.. hope this helps...

justmario
13-12-2003, 03:56 PM
As you know DUCATI produces another good engine
for the moment installed on ST3, its name is DESMO3.
It is a 3 valves per cylinders liquid cooled engine with
combination of high torque level in the lower and middle part of
rev range. But it has more than 100 hp as well.
In an article delivered on DUCATI site it meens that
early a new M1000 with DESMO3 could be produced.
A lot of friends living in Borgo Panigale (where the DUCATI is)
said me that a new M1000 is already in testing phase
and probably a bike will be born the nex year.

I hope this information can help you.

Bye.

Steve James
13-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Went to look at the Monster 1000 today, as I thought it would be , it`s a beautiful machine!
Wanted a test ride, but did`nt arrange it as I went there on a whim (stayed off work).
Mario, I`m looking for a torquey bike, as I`m used to single cylinder MX bikes, I don`t want something revvy!!
As you say, I think I`d rather have the 1000s that the S4 which seems to be a "racier" engine.
I went to Woods of Abergele, who are prepared to do the same deal as the one advertised on the "on yer bike" website, basically £1000 down and the rest at 1%.
Is this a good deal or not?
I`ll try and get the test ride next week, will I be disappointed (I don`t think so) as I`m buying this bike on the "oh my god" factor.
£7200 is a lot of money!!!

justmario
14-12-2003, 10:32 AM
I think the price of M1000 is very high but all
the DUCATI bikes cost more than other bikes simply
because they are DUCATI.
Even though this situation a lot of riders continue
to buy this bikes and are happy to do this.
In Italy this bike had a great success, whit many
people who sold here old S4 to buy it for the reason
of its very high torque level.
I would buy a M1000 but because I don't care to buy
it now I will probably wait until April or May
to get it.

If you will try M1000, as I thought it will be,
you will not have doubts

Desmodue
14-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Hi Steve

If you get the M1000, you can call at my house for a hot coffee/tea and talk bikes, I've got the M900IE which is in a similar vein, and I love it ( low revs-plenty of torque )

Steve James
14-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Hi Chef!!

The only thing I`m worried about is seat height, will I look like Ruben Xaus!!
I`m 6`2" and 14 stone.
I sat on a m900 at Bill Smiths in Chester about 6 months ago, almost bought it but got talked out of it by a mate as he said it looked too small for me.
BTW Where about on the Wirral Chef?

Steve

Desmodue
14-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Steve

Not being as tall as you, my bike fits me like a glove

Try to gather opinion from other tall Monster owners, and get that test ride, ( don't just go round the block ! go on a variety of roads, take some time to get the 'feel' of the bike )

Good Luck

I'm in NewBrighton

crust
14-12-2003, 11:09 PM
dont worry about it being too small

afterall you're going to jack it up to speed up the steering anyway ;)

the words are 'light and flickable'

HTH

:) Crust

nambduke
08-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi,

Bought a 3month old M1000ie (DS model) last July and love it! Having just come back into biking after a long lay off, I found the bike very ridable in most situations - town/back lanes/motorways etc. Torque evenly spread and very useable. Limited suspension adjustment so can be tricky on the edge...however, nothing that can't be man handled if provoked during spirited riding.

Not many sold, so limited availablity. Probably less sold than S4Rs and S4s. However, less complicated than the water cooled versions, so cheaper to run.

The best bit was I managed to get mine for only £4k - poor bloke I bought it from lost £2.5k in 3months....some depreciation......but by my reckoning it was a bit of a bargain.

Regards,
nambduke

NattyBoy
08-04-2005, 09:23 AM
£4k.. :eek: You jammy bugger !!!

Nat

moor-ph0
08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi,
I've owned a M1000s since May04. Have driven it through the winter and like most bikes the fasteners start to corrode quickly even with constant cleaning and using FS365 protector spray. Fasteners corroding isn't a real problem for me as I've started replacing then with mostly stainless and Titanium in some stress related areas. With regards to performance I can't compare with other Ducs as this is my first but I still love driven her every day and think performance is great with excellent low down torgue and head wrenching acceleration. During the 6000 mile service yesterday changed the front sprocket from 15T to 14T which improves use of the 6th gear. Regarding top speed 130mph no problem but with no faring you couldn't stay at that for long. On the other hand Ducati Glasgow kindly lent me their 999 Demo bike -what a bike?

Geoff

blueyes
08-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I have owned a 1000 since last September and am enjoying it immensly. I love it! The power is on tap when ever you need it. Mine will do about 130...ONLY small downfall is the 'tractor like' behaviour when stuck in slow moving traffic. I recently got some Remus cans for it and for some reason (not knowing too much about bikes) it flows a whole lot freer and steady. Thats my opinion anyway....;-) :)

NattyBoy
08-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Blueeyes..pop a 14T front sprocket on..that will improve her behaviour round town...!!!

Chers
Nat