PDA

View Full Version : airbox broken

jerry
13-08-2012, 06:29 AM
the airbox on my s4 is beginning to break up around the clip locks have tried various glues , plastic welding and plastic putty but its a losing battle its now held together with tie wraps ,

i am thinking of ditching it and putting pod filters on retuning would not be a problem as old air box was heavily modified to flow a lot more air and i have PC3 and can adapt maps to suit , the problem will be cutting down the injector input velocity stacks to fit pod filters an how much flow will be disrupted as venturis are reduced so pod clamp on properly ????

any one done this I can see many benefits as access will be much easier for servicing

Nickj
13-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Plastics are a PIA to repair, hot welding is often best but if it's all stressed then it'll probably fail again (and again).
To glue you need an acid etch to prep and a gap fill superglue, 50:50 on it working though. I've had some success (but more fails) with a slow set glue and kicker but it depends so much on the original material

Weren't the stacks cut down a little from the original version of the motor for the S4'sto pep up the mid range a little?

Nottsbiker
13-08-2012, 05:55 PM
My battery box has done the same thing but is beyond repair I fear :(

You can have it if it helps you out, but I have no idea if your bike had the same set up as my old 900??

Funkatronic
13-08-2012, 06:19 PM
i have a complete airbox with oem lid and filter in excellent nick from an s2r1000 if your interested

should have open lid and DP/K&N filter too

pm me if you want to discuss
cheers

ali

jerry
14-08-2012, 02:09 AM
I really want to explore doing away with the air box completely its a pain when one needs to do TPS and injector balancing it gets in the way and takes about 20 minutes to remove as radiator also needs to me moved to get access to front airbox mounting .
Pod filters or velocity stack socks may be the way to go ,i could do with some feed back from anyone who has gone this route .

Funkatronic
14-08-2012, 09:31 AM
no worries mate thought i'd offer

i remember speaking to dave woods who did damons s2r800 (i think) back in the day, he suggested not to do it as its a nightmare to tune consistantly

Mr Gremlin
15-08-2012, 01:40 AM
if you keep the velocity stacks, sleeve the outside so that the sleeve diameter is slightly bigger than the bell mouth and find pods that fit right over and clamp to the sleeve , then you shouldnt have many problems, cutting off the bell mouth will restrict the amount of air going in the stack and low/mid range fueling may be affected. removing the stack completely and fitting pods straight on the throttle bodies is the best way to f*** everything up !! the chances are you will still have to do a bit of setting up, but it shouldnt be that drastic

jerry
15-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Mr Gremlin i agree with you ,,, must keep the bell mouths intact actually even bigger bellmouths like the TPO ones which are 50% bigger would be good but very expensive £160 a pair ouch!!!,
I think an easy solution is to use Filter socks for bellmouths available, from ITG, pipercross,K&N etc easy to fit no mods or cutting required I cant get them in thailand but will pick up a pair in UK
alternative is clamp pod filter over bell mouths with sleeves made from foam rubber sleeve and Duct tape as you suggested