PDA

View Full Version : Test drives and insurance? What do people do?

bluep
03-08-2012, 08:21 AM
What's the norm when looking to buy privately? I can't find a company that will give me short term insurance to test drive a bike before I own it (last time I bought a bike...many years ago, there was a firm that did). Are you just at the mercy of whether the owner will take you out on a pillion ride?

I should imagine a fair few people are happy to jump on without insurance but if I was selling a bike, I wouldn't be happy to let someone do this and as a student I worked for an insurance company - the people we had calling up with an IN-10 on their license (driving without insurance) found it very difficult and expensive to get insured after that.

singletrack
03-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Hi Jess
I am afraid you are in a bit of a no win situation. Many bike owners have third party insurance to ride any other bike, but that is not much use when you are wanting to buy your first bike.
Other than buying from a dealer,who will be covered for test rides, the only thing I can suggest is getting someone who has got insurance to test the bike for you. Or you have to take a risk and buy the bike using sound of the engine, and driving a few yards up the drive.
Is it a Monster in general you want to try, or a particular bike?

anthonyas11
03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Try phoning your own insurance (if you have some) as some of them are willing to insure you for a day on other bikes. Or you could always set up an insurance, pay your first month and then cancel within the FSA 14 day cooling off period...they have to give you a full refund then.

bluep
03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the posts guys.

Singletrack - its for if I am going to view particular private bikes - to test it's all running ok etc... Going for a pillion ride seems the only solution. Urgh - no-one else to test drive for me either.

Anthony - I don't currently have a bike so not got my own insurance unfortuately. Plus to start up a policy (even to cancel it) you have to be the owner/keeper (or spouse)...

Pah life isn't easy sometimes!!!

Saint aka ML
03-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Plus to start up a policy (even to cancel it) you have to be the owner/keeper (or spouse)...

Pah life isn't easy sometimes!!!

When I found my 1st bike had a chat with owner and seen the bike. I then phone H&R insurance and told them I am buying my 1st bike and want to test it and if all good buy it next day so could they start insurance from that day. I was not the owner yet, just gave them plate no and was told I can only ride it on that 1st day then I have to tell them if I am keeping it or not.