PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Carbs

mks
01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm looking to balance the carbs on my m900 and was wondering if there are any adapters available to connect the vacum gauge to the inlet sample holes?

My gauges have 2 rubber connections tubes about 5mm diameter so was looking to see how others connect these tubes to the sample holes.

Mark

Zimbo
01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
You need a pair 5mm adaptors, screw the flat head machine screw out of each inlet tract and replace with the hose tail adaptor, push your vaccuum gauges onto the hose tails. Not sure where to get them though I'm afraid!

utopia
01-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I used an adaptor that was left over from the bag of bits that came with my scottoiler.
I daresay they sell them separately.
Actually there were two in the bag, but one had a larger dia thread which I had to modify, so if you do get some from them, make sure they have the right thread.

I also found it useful to have some blanking caps for them, so the gauges could be fitted quickly once I'd been out top warm the engine ( with the adaptors already in place). A bit of neoprene tube with a bung in the end should do the trick.
Actually, I managed to find some particularly neat blanking caps in my box of handy bits and pieces, so I didn't bother removing the adaptors afterwards. I just left them there with the blanking caps on, ready for next time.

Reaperman
01-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Same thing I'm after for an M600. After thats done it'll be off for its first MOT in 2 years.

Dukedesmo
01-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I use a 'Morgan Carbtune' for carb/injection balancing - good piece of kit and whilst it's supplied with plastic adapters I bought some brass ones to leave in permanently (it's almost impossible to get the rear in with airbox in place on a 916).

Got them from Morgan, they have them (5 & 6mm) on their website; http://www.carbtune.com/