PDA

View Full Version : So is Danny Boyle a big Lord of the Rings fan then

MrsC_772
27-07-2012, 08:27 PM
So far we've started with the funny little artificial hill that looks like the Shire, a somewhat hobbity looking bunch of peasants, then there was the "industrial revolution" towers, smoke and fire (Saruman's orc army at Isengard ..) next they're forging the one ring to rule them all ....

No doubt we'll have the lighting of the beacons (probably not initiated by a hobbit, but time will tell) - will the finale involve an eagle swooping in ...

I posted prematurely .. and I'm nowhere near drunk enough to appreciate the full trippy vision of the opening ceremony...

OK, so now they've brought out Mr Bean! Much more appropriate for a British Olympic opening ceremony!

Mrs C (a cynical nerd, wineglass in hand)

He11cat
27-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Make it stop its scaring me Mrs C!!

Grumpy
27-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Bah humbug.......not watching it...been in garage working on me bikes! Far more fun:biggrin:

Nickj
27-07-2012, 09:20 PM
I've been out collecting a generous coating of bugs

Grumpy
27-07-2012, 09:22 PM
I've been out collecting a generous coating of bugs

lol... a midnight snack!...now watching iron man 2!!

Headhunter
27-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Myopia above and probably below.......

Headhunter
27-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Mrs C, I think he is a fan of the Shire...... JRR Tolkien + Tubular Bells. Just need Alice in Wonderland to make it 3 and out. Oxfordshire rules.

Personally I think the opening ceremony is pretty awesome and Britain should be proud. Even if people don't like it surely the music must make you smile or feel a sense of excitement.

MrsC_772
27-07-2012, 09:58 PM
In the Childrens Literature inspired section there was a Queen of Hearts out of Alice in Wonderland so I reckon that makes it all 3

Still not sure about the radish-head pogoing punks ...

Ok, so full marks for playing the Sex Pistols, and a few bits of music I like (Eurythmics, Tubular Bells, Bohemian Rhapsody) as well as some more dubious stuff ... (currently being subjected to the Bee Gees)

There seems to be an inverse correlation between the wealth/size of the country and the jolliness of the costumes - contrast Cameroon, Fiji, Burkina Faso and Gambia on the one hand, with the likes of Canada.

The German costumes are clearly demonstrating a Teutonic sense of humour

Anyone else reckon half the Australian blokes were pissed?

Headhunter
27-07-2012, 10:03 PM
In the Childrens Literature inspired section there was a Queen of Hearts out of Alice in Wonderland so I reckon that makes it all 3

:) :) :) Well spotted

bex
28-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Rather enjoyed it! Park looked amazing by night/aerial shots I must say.

Thirdway
28-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Mummy always told me if I can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all.

He11cat
28-07-2012, 10:47 AM
:) I was told that but as usual with me I did not listen :)