PDA

View Full Version : bar end mirror + shorty lever

simontt
26-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Have been thinking of replacing the stock items with the above.

The mirror mainly for cosmetic reason, which may also facilate easier filtering.

but a shorter adjustable lever would be useful imprvvement as I only use 2 fingers for brakes and the travel on the clutch lever is just too long even fully adjusted, resulted in soreness to the left hand.

Any recommendations?

Char
26-07-2012, 10:32 AM
can worms open

I have Rizoma Spy Square bar end mirrors as dont like any of cheap ones
http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/rizoma-billet-mirrors/rizoma-spy-r-bar-end-mirror.html
However they do smash to pieces if you hit the road :fou:

but I have cheap shorty levers from US which are not cheapest but not most expensive plus you can have them engraved and mix and match colours and they flip up and mine have not faded like some cheap ones - turnaround was about 2 weeks and quality very good
http://adjustable-levers.com/categories/Levers/Folding-and-Extendable-Levers/

Nottsbiker
26-07-2012, 12:11 PM
How does a bar end mirror improve filtering? I would have thought that the extra width of the bars would impede filtering slightly.

On a related note I thought about a rear view camera set up but couldnt find one that was waterproof, or some where to mount the screen.

simon_g
26-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I could do without making my bars wider. There's a CRG Lane Splitter mirror though which is designed to fold in when you're squeezing through.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-bar-end-mirrors/crg-mirrors.htm

I did have some cheapy M-Label levers from ebay which worked fine but the black finish faded to bronze in the sun. They were more like 3-finger levers but the adjustment was useful. Replaced with some ASV F3 levers, which are just like C5s but forged not CNC machined and have a shorter warranty and a lower price tag. Still feel like quality bits of kit and are spot on in length for 2-finger use.

simontt
26-07-2012, 01:31 PM
How does a bar end mirror improve filtering? I would have thought that the extra width of the bars would impede filtering slightly.

On a related note I thought about a rear view camera set up but couldnt find one that was waterproof, or some where to mount the screen.

Sometimes the position of the monster's rear view mirror aligns with the big white van's rear rear mirrors where they are quite high up and huge - to the point that the handlebar clears but not the mirrors.

I would like to get those bar end mirror which are inset above the bars, i.e, where their end point sit flush with the bar end and therefore does not add to the overall width.

floyd
26-07-2012, 01:40 PM
have a pair of these http://www.oberon-performance.com/acatalog/Oberon_Handlebar_Clamp_Mirrors.html lot better view, crystal clear. also highly recommend oberon great customer service and fast delivery.

simontt
26-07-2012, 03:51 PM
What do you think of this:

http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/368.html

Pedro
26-07-2012, 04:31 PM
What do you think of this:

http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/368.html

I have a pair of the Rizomas and they are by far the best I've tried and I've tried a lot! Hated the Oberon and CRGs as neither gave a decent enough view - quite sh*te actually. The Rizomas are great and beautifully made although I think Busters were selling copies at about half the price.

One quick point - the Rizomas are designed to clamp to the ends of the bars meaning grips and switch gear near moving in about 1/2 inch. I struggled a little with this as I have Brembo Radial master cylinders so I modified a set of Oberon bar ends to mount the mirrors on instead, let me know if you want a pic

Ped

simontt
26-07-2012, 04:37 PM
yes please, but in short can I just mount them onto my stock evo without any modicfications?

tricolore
26-07-2012, 04:57 PM
yes please, but in short can I just mount them onto my stock evo without any modicfications?

http://www.rizoma.com/universal/handlebar-caps/ma502/en?MOTO=50412155-50462984-R

You can buy these from Rizoma for the mirrors to fit onto or I used some Renthal one's which worked equally as well..

utopia
26-07-2012, 09:58 PM
I've been very pleased with my oberon bar-end mirrors.
They do a couple of types though. Mine are the sort that have a tapered arm that hinges to the bar-end and a ball and socket fitting to a 3inch round mirror.
The smaller streetfighter type don't look nearly as good imo.
The rear view is excellent and much better than the original stalkies. This is partly down to their position, and partly because they are just slightly convex...not enough to be anywhere near confusing, but enough to give a decent field of view.
They're easy to adjust, on the move, and they stay put. They can also be rotated inboard of the bar-ends for getting through narrow gateways.
The looks are super-clean and functional, and the finish is still jet black after 2yrs. Overall quality is excellent too.
£65 each isn't exactly cheap, so I bought one and tried it out.......went back for another without hesitation. I'd have them on my other bikes too.
All bar-enders will add something to the width of the bike (and that's partly why the visibility is improved), but as far as I'm concerned its safer not to filter though those smaller gaps, so I don't actually find it a problem.
Though I cut an inch off the ends of my Renthals, so overall its not much wider now anyway.

Visually, I'd like to fit shorty levers, and I mostly only use one or two fingers. I think I'd find them just generally slicker and nicer, but the standard ones work ok for me, so I haven't bothered. I'd probably go for cheapies if I did change them though. Maybe in silver or titanium finish, to avoid the fade.
But I think that money spent on replacing the stalkie mirrors does more to improve both the appearance and the function, at least it does for my old-style monster. Surely those mickey mouse mirrors were never in the original minimalist design principles.

Nottsbiker
27-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Gf had the Oberon bar end one on her speed triple and returned to standard because the view was so poor, I've ridden it and can also state it was a waste of time.

I can understand about the stock mirrors clipping vans though and have had to stop and apologise miserly once or twice over the years.

floyd
27-07-2012, 03:17 PM
cant understand it my oberon are great, took a few rides to set them up perfect, though before i brought them did read a few negative reports, though from what i read i think oberon changed the glass in there mirrors a few years ago, but whether you buy rizoma,cheap cycle mirrors or whatever they gotta be better than the standards, i dont see my shoulders anymore plus barend mirrors just look so much better.

SunEye
28-07-2012, 01:41 AM
One quick point - the Rizomas are designed to clamp to the ends of the bars meaning grips and switch gear near moving in about 1/2 inch. I struggled a little with this as I have Brembo Radial master cylinders so I modified a set of Oberon bar ends to mount the mirrors on instead, let me know if you want a pic
If you fit Rizoma grips you'll have a spare 8mm-10mm of bar sticking out the end. That may be enough to fit the mirrors onto.

BossMan
22-08-2012, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't suggest a rear-view camera. I had one mounted on an old model and the thing caused nothing but grief. I eventually scrapped it. If it wasn't rattling or shaking about (probably because of my shoddy installation, but still) it simply wouldn't work. Never again.

Chromiumballs
22-08-2012, 04:59 PM
have a pair of these http://www.oberon-performance.com/acatalog/Oberon_Handlebar_Clamp_Mirrors.html lot better view, crystal clear. also highly recommend oberon great customer service and fast delivery.

+1 For Oberon mirrors, also they have a convex lens which helps no end:thumbsup: