PDA

View Full Version : Why so much hostility towards Ducati's?

Small Clanger
23-07-2012, 07:48 PM
The Monster is my 1st Ducati. Before the evo came 4 BMW's, 5 Harleys and quite a few other assorteds.

I have another Jap bike. On their forum it's non-stop. Slagging off Ducati's, Harleys, Beemers, Wings etc.
I must admit, it really winds me up, but I always make a point of asking, before I launch into them, have you ever owned or ridden one? None have, it's always "my mate's Dad's uncle Charlie" had one.

Should I ignore the Keyboard Kommandoes and know that, because I ride a Ducati Monster, I'm in a place where the ignorant don't belong and the enlightened wear smug grins. Or fire straight back at them and tell them they're a bunch of di*k heads?

uksurfer
23-07-2012, 07:54 PM
i wouldnt worry about it, lifes too short, get out and ride

Char
23-07-2012, 07:57 PM
bloody Audi drivers...

Phatty
23-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Even worse at a trackday when the "track bike" brigade are sneering at your Italian naked with tax disc and number plate.

Soon shuts them up when you pass them on the track and thy can't get anywhere near you.

Mark Taylor
23-07-2012, 08:16 PM
They are just jealous:thumbsdown:, mostly, when people ask me what bike I ride, and I say "a Ducati" they say "WOW" :hail: If trolls are giving you sh*t for what you ride then it's a reflection on them - tossers:fou: take no notice!

Mohawk
23-07-2012, 08:34 PM
It's just what some folk do. I've been on Ducati Forums where they slag off Jap bikes too. I agree with UKSurfer, just ignore it and go out and ride :-)

benson
23-07-2012, 09:14 PM
ANd with weather like we've got there's no excuse!

banditloon
23-07-2012, 09:26 PM
I've been on the end of the sneers, micky taking and general slagging off of Ducatis for the past 6 years of owning the old red one. But still, she shuts them up by working. Ok, I have spent a small fortune on making her work, but out of my Jap, German and British manufactured motorcycle owning friends, I have a (nearly) 20 year old Ducati Monster that still works, has covered nearly 60k miles and on a good day, still looks about half it's age :chuckle:

So, in short, laugh at the un-educated who think Ducatis are temperamental, money pits that don't work in the rain, that don't sound right, that have wiring made out of pasta, and enjoy the road on your Monster :D

(unless it's a new shape one, they are horrible and not a proper Monster ;) I'm sure I've heard that at enough Mini meetings in the past year about my car.... :chuckle:)

Thirdway
23-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Went out with a group of mates riding Street Triples and me on a ten year old ST4s ( I christened it the yellow tractor ). Oh how they jeered :biggrin: then the lead bike gave up the ghost and spit its rectifier and left awd' yella to finish the ride.

Then we went to Scotland, it poured down everyday and they all waited expectantly for awd' yella to quit, but no, instead, another Street Triple quit with a wiring loom failure. The Ducati started straight away.

They don't laugh anymore :biggrin:

He11cat
24-07-2012, 12:51 AM
I must say before I had one always had admired Monsters more then the sports bikes.

All I get is buy a cruiser .... you should ride a cruiser ....
I get taken the pee out of all the time.

However when I got the Monster my Grandad went up his rode and told people my grandaughter just got a Ducati.
That stayed with me and made me even more fond of them and proud.

~I can also say yes I have had experience of Harleys... and many Jap bikes.

Ignore mostly they have nothing better to do and have a dull bike any how!!

Electron-Monkey
24-07-2012, 09:58 AM
You want to try owning a Buell and see how much flack you get about them being rubbish. Yes they are not to everyone’s tastes but I loved my XB12SS lightning, I actually wish I hadn't sold it. Given how few Buells there are on the road you would have thought it would have been a tight community however on the forums there is a split between the "fuellers" and the "tubers"...

I'm now getting 'friendly' banter from other motorcyclists about buying a Ducati, "I'll start bringing my tool kit in", "is it still working" etc...

I agree with all the other posts ignore the un-enlightened and enjoy what you love...! I know it's an overused phrase but, if everyone wanted the same bike, life would be very dull.

pegboy
24-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I met this guy a number of years ago, as our wives are friends. I get along well with him, top bloke, but where we differ is bike choices. He has ridden Jap bikes all his life and when i told him i was on the hunt for a Monster, he started asking me the same questions mentioned above, unreliable, wiring problems etc. etc. etc. I said to him all bikes can have problems and my theory is if you maintain your bike and look after it, then you shouldn't have too many problems. Anyway he was not convinced, and warned me and he continued bragging about his love for Jap bikes etc.

Fast forward 7-8 odd years and after many discussions about bikes and why I love the Ducati’s, and the many ride outs together, and he sees the Ducati's get all the attention, he now has his heart set on a "Ducati" a 1098. He has been converted; I rest my case, although i might be in trouble with his wife when she finds out?

Pomp1
24-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I always tell them that they have the option of NOT buying one..

J.P
24-07-2012, 10:58 AM
all the stories tend to be based on bikes from many, many years back when the weren't reliable. Now they are up there with the best in the world

slob
24-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah, apart from the reliability that afforded wins at Imola 500 in 1972 and IoM TT in 1978...

Current statistics say they're absolutely the most reliable European bikes (I was amazed BMW don't hold that accolade), the only ones that come close to Japanese manufaturers, based on warranty claims for new bikes over the last 5 years

neilo
24-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't experience any (genuine) hostility at all, just a bit of genial banter at the most. Perhaps I'm lucky, because the vast majority of my biking friends aren't ignorant, and know that Ducatis have come along way since a few decades ago. They're all a pretty well informed bunch of guys...and none of them would buy a BMW...after some of them having owned BMWs.

Before I bought my evo, my very first post on this site was about 'reliability' and 'parts availability'. Needless to say almost everything I'd 'heard' (on some forums) about Ducatis for a very long time was that Italian bikes just weren't as reliable as the Japanese brands, and that it was a bugger to find parts when they broke.

How wrong that was... My evo has been 100% reliable, and parts has not been an issue at all (so far, because nothing has broken). On the other hand, a Versys I used to own was terribly unreliable...left me stranded twice (did not start, thankfully close to home), and the finish was dire too. But then my ZZR1400 was 100% reliable, so I guess it depends on where some of the models are put together... It seems that genuine Japanese bikes fair better than Japanese brands made in some other countries...

I can't be bothered trying to convince ill-informed people...I just go out and ride...

Small Clanger
24-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I can't be bothered trying to convince ill-informed people...I just go out and ride...

Amen to that. :)

Stafford
24-07-2012, 03:37 PM
The only grief I've ever got was off this forum over a certain rectification issue, bloody Italian electrics :hissy:

Darkness
24-07-2012, 04:47 PM
i wouldnt worry about it, lifes too short, get out and ride

I keep telling Hypermotard owners that they are horribly unreliable and they are just lucky it hasn't gone into fragmentation mode or electrical melt down yet, but I still haven't persuaded one to sell it to me to avoid the grief to come. My cash offer may be surprisingly small, but that,'s only because they are an unreliable liability.....

:biggrin::biggrin:

jerry
24-07-2012, 06:03 PM
its jealousy and sheer ignorance that cause Ducati abuse , recently saw a 900ss that has gone 147,000 miles with no work on the engine , and also in USA a Monster 900 has recently reached 200,000 0n just a top end refresh and new piston rings

marchesini
24-07-2012, 08:48 PM
The only grief I've ever got was off this forum over a certain rectification issue, bloody Italian electrics :hissy:

Ive not had any problems with Italian electrics. Well, not in the last three days anyway. The thing is when they don't work, at least you have something nice to look at - a bit like the Kardashians - don't work but still nice to look at. I could go on about great riding experiences once they get going but maybe I should be quiet now.

Char
24-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Ive not had any problems with Italian electrics. Well, not in the last three days anyway. The thing is when they don't work, at least you have something nice to look at - a bit like the Kardashians - don't work but still nice to look at. I could go on about great riding experiences once they get going but maybe I should be quiet now.

Where's the chuckle button :chuckle:

tricolore
24-07-2012, 09:20 PM
My local Honda dealer always refused to take any Ducati in part exchange, more trouble than they're worth he used to say, infact a lot of dealers used to say that. Last month he had a 796 for sale and sold it in three weeks.

Think his attitude towards Ducati's may have changed on the basis most of his other used bikes aren't moving.

cactus
24-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Ducati Monster 900ie :thumbsup: bloody top bike. buell S1 Lightning :thumbsup: another bloody top bike. We all ride what we ride because we have a feeling for that manufacturer or that manufacturer's engine. I don't give a toss what others say about my bikes, I just get out and ride them, and I put on a lot of miles riding some of the best bike roads in Europe. :D I owned a Triumph Bonneville T140D for years and got a lot of stick about the bonnie but I'll tell you, people constantly walked passed Japanese plastics to slaver (Scottish word) - drool over the old Triumph. If they're slagging your Ducati mate, just fork them all.

He11cat
24-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Buell Lightning have to say I really like looks wise :)
Problem being I have the stupidest shortest legs :(
So out of my range.

mazydog
25-07-2012, 08:24 AM
I recal Skoda being the butt end of every car joke going now they are considered a good vehicle you even have Skoda police cars, I am that old I remember when Kids who wore Tesco clothes were ridiculed.

30 years from now some forum for Chinese bikes will be asking the same question

benson
25-07-2012, 09:15 AM
My 900ie and I have gone a long way together. So had my old Buell XB9 which I chopped in for the 1125CR which I ended up "giving" back to Buell because every conceivable thing on it failed or blew up or seized. I was devastated to be without a Buell so I've ended up with an 09 Uly which I love love love...It's an amazing machine and regularly leaves other adventure bikes behind (and a few fast in a straight line map bikes too). I am a complete bike tart. I make no apologies - if I love them I keep them and I buy more. I have a Bonnie too which is an agile wee gey scalie beastie (and I know what slaver is too hen!) and a Suzuki VanVan because it makes me smile.. That's what this is all about - having a giggle and riding what you love. There's a life long lesson in there somewhere!

Happy roads ahead,

Rachel (Benson)

Blah blah
25-07-2012, 06:32 PM
How I laughed when a CBR Blackbird owner said how rubbish my Ducati was and how reliable his bike was... He then went on to explain that he'd had to replace the clutch, fuses kept blowing and a load of other bits had to be replaced over the last 12 months...

Mind you, the last time I went out en masse with a load of others, I got the usual

"Ducati, that'll break down then..."

"No it won't it's never let me down"

2 hours later, it stops for no reason whatsoever, AA couldn't find anything wrong. Just on the off chance, one last go before we call recovery and it started ! I think it was in a huff as we weren't going fast enough...:mand:

Saint aka ML
25-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Last 2 weeks my one is working fine. Well except stupid wire going to starter relay keeps working loose!!!

Mark Taylor
26-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Last 2 weeks my one is working fine. Well except stupid wire going to starter relay keeps working loose!!!

Hi Lucas - I have had the same problem with the starter motor relay plug - I fitted a ty-wrap around the plug & relay to prevent it coming loose:thumbsup:

He11cat
26-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Unreliability ? Hmm one of mines been a bugger!
I thought it was charm ? A ploy that you get attached to them.
I could not go back to blandness :(

Mazydog ... Yes I recall at school the kids would sing " let's all go to Tesco's where ....... ( fill in the blank) gets their best cloths an nah an na "

No wonder I rebelled... Brown clarks shoes really are not exceptable or cool at age 11 :( nor where quilted coats..
I rebelled big time!

Blah blah
28-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Unreliability ? Hmm one of mines been a bugger!
I thought it was charm ? A ploy so that you to spend lots of money on them...

Edited for truth...:biggrin:

philrl1
29-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I haven't had any hostlity just the old "Ducati -how long until that breaks down then!". I don't take any notice anymore and have given up trying to justify my choice of bike by quoting things like the bike equvalent of the JD power survey for cars which now shows Ducati is up there with Suzuki in terms of reliability. Why should I? I just say it gives me a biiiiig smile when I ride my Monster! As JP says it's old attitudes and they take a long time to change.

Small Clanger
30-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Spent a few hours showing this around Yorkshire the other day.

V. nice. :biggrin:

BeePee
30-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I've just bought my first Ducati after years of wanting one, had countless Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki back to Yamaha...........I could never afford the DUCATI I wanted, maybe a clue there for the Jap riders :) next time give them an eDUCATIon

cosmicknome
01-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi having been an owner of four and a half ducati's over the past ten year's reliablity has NEVER ever been a problem. I've just got back from the Faro Rally in portugal and i did not have one problem and i was regularly riding in 46c heat.

mickyvee
05-08-2012, 02:39 PM
:) Just got back from a 2000 mile Euro jaunt on my Evo. Total reliability in spite of 4" of standing water on the Belgian motorway for 50 miles. And I got 60mpg to boot! In similar conditions last year, my 1200 Griso gave me all sorts of electrical issues, and the year before that my 1050 Tiger decided to dump a gallon of petrol onto a hot engine (super scary!) due to crappy fuel line connectors. My Evo hasn't given me a moments aggro at all. Top bike! 25 years ago I went touring with my mate. He was on his Darmah, I was on my Jota. We both came home on the back of an RAC truck! Things have improved immensely since then thank goodness!

Char
05-08-2012, 07:45 PM
I have owned three and can never see myself changing brand - but Ducati is disliked by the majority of the biking community, simply because many of the people who buy them tend to only see them as status symbols and keep them in their living rooms or wrapped up most the year in their garages and only come out on dry sunny days to pose at the local meet :fou::biggrin:

simon_g
05-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Spent a bit of time at the busy Garmin event at onyerbike in the Ducati showroom taking a look at the shiny new stuff. Quite a few people browsing - overheard a couple of conversations about unreliability, £800 belts service needed every few thousand miles, electrical problems, etc. Don't really care if people listen to their uninformed mates really.

Diavel Cromo looks very nice though including the classic logo. Why can't we have a Monster equivalent?

iainvr
12-09-2012, 02:06 PM
This is my 2nd Duke, 888SP a few years ago then a raft of GSXRBLADE's nothing feels like a V-Twin on full chat. My mate takes the **** out of my tractor as he calls it saying it looks dated etc. So when we are parked up and people are looking at my S4R not his new Z1 it makes me laugh. Another mate had a blackbird and said he just dose'nt get the whole "Ducati thing", I threw him my keys & 20mins later he get's it.
Ignorance & jelousy will always remain with the small minded

spacemonkey
16-09-2012, 01:28 PM
My mate has always been into Jap bikes, but although he would never buy one- he's NOT a risk taker of any description- he freely admits that every ride on my bike is an experience. And that's why I will never part with it. It's been in the garage for a couple of years now due to needing a few jobs and not getting time, but it's gonna be out before next year when it's 20th birthday crops up.

To me, it's the perfect bike. Nothing has been made in the time I've had it that even comes close IMO. The new Monsters just don't do anything for me, neither do the water cooled ones. Faster? Maybe, but who cares? At the mo' I'm saving for a DeLorean and they're the same- very much maligned due to the very shocking build quality when new, but when rebuilt properly they are great cars as long as you appreciate their limitations. Sure, it won't keep up with a Ferrari, but park alongside ANY Ferrari and the DeLorean will get the attention. Ask any owner of one.

I've ridden lots of other stuff and they all leave me cold. I hate Harleys but I respect their character- very much like my bike, just different way of delivering it. I tried a Firestorm and was very disappointed- far too smooth and not like a V Twin at all. I'd be happy with a '94 900ss and a 996 to join it in the garage, along with a home made classic Jap Cafe racer, a classic old BMW converted into a wide bar lowrider type thing, and my Monkey bike. But one thing's for sure- the Monster will always be there and number 1..