PDA

View Full Version : Number plate warning

He11cat
20-07-2012, 02:11 AM
http://m.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/local/op-dragon-launched-to-crack-down-on-illegal-number-plates-1-4069866#.UAi9ZpkzD_s.mailto

Just thought id pass this on

Stafford
20-07-2012, 06:13 AM
“Addressing misrepresented registrations is a very important part of our work as plates that are difficult to read and pose a threat to identifying vehicles that may be used for criminal activities."

I think if was was going to commit a crime I'd not bother to make a plate difficult to read I'd just nick one off someone else's car for christ sake.

slob
20-07-2012, 06:41 AM
ANPR SQL Injection attack... for the geeky amongst you

http://kossovsky.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sql_injection_traffic_camera-300x231.jpg

Diego
20-07-2012, 07:56 AM
ANPR SQL Injection attack... for the geeky amongst you

http://kossovsky.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sql_injection_traffic_camera-300x231.jpg

brilliant!

He11cat
20-07-2012, 08:41 AM
I should have clarified why I popped this up.
I hate to see stupid plates in some font that you can't read ...
Usually by some boy racer driving mummys pug.
But yes often could be used for criminal offences .

Actually the now favoured trick I fell foul of was having my car plates nicked ... They then use your plates. I had to ring police.

The reason I popped this up was I know a few of you ride with undersized plates.
I am pretty sure this will fall under this operation.

I run with normal plates now days.

The problem is loads of online shops now sell "show plates" and you can run with anything .
I saw one with 2 Dope
Don't think that was legal !

He11cat
20-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Just to make me pull my hair out ease photoshop the blue screen of death on the windscreen :) sniff

Nottsbiker
20-07-2012, 12:17 PM
“Addressing misrepresented registrations is a very important part of our work as plates that are difficult to read and pose a threat to identifying vehicles that may be used for criminal activities."

I think if was was going to commit a crime I'd not bother to make a plate difficult to read I'd just nick one off someone else's car for christ sake.

You and me both - the more legal you look and appear to the casual anpr scanner the more likely you are to get away with it.

J_Dub
20-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Actually the now favoured trick I fell foul of was having my car plates nicked ... They then use your plates. I had to ring police.

This happened to me a few years ago, so being a good citizen I reported it to the Police, they were not interested at all and couldn't seem to grasp why I would report such a trivial theft.:confused:

After I had an accident on my bike a couple of years ago the police told my son that "we won't be taking any action over his illegal number plate." as I was taken away in the ambulance. My 'crime' was to have trimmed the plate down to leave a half inch border around the numbers and letters, so I lost the BS number and postcode. The numbers and letters were the correct font, size and spacing!

Nickj
20-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Obviously they are a little low on both the 'solved crime' stats and budgets.
Look out for an excellent year end report ;)

JerryT
20-07-2012, 01:16 PM
You may not like some of the laws in this country, or the way our police choose to enforce them, but they are still the law and apply equally to everyone, so break it at your own risk. It does sometimes appear though, that bikers are a particularly easy target. I have a fully legal plate and it's staying that way. My bike is for road use, not show use.
However, I would really like to see a clampdown on cars with dark tinted front side windows (which are illegal) as they prevent you from seeing whether the driver waiting to pull out of that side road is actually looking at you, or just texting his mates...

slob
20-07-2012, 01:40 PM
... or whether he/she can actually see you at night. With you there JT!

pegboy
20-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Ok lucky I have change my plate on my 749

utopia
20-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, I'm heading off through the peterborough area tomorrow, with my std plate cut down to 8"x6" by trimming the borders and losing everything bar the essential numbers.
I'm assuming that common sense will mean that I don't get stopped, but I will be seriously pissed if some jobsworth tries to get all technical about "the law being the law, and no excuses".

Agreed about the tints.

LVC
20-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Never had "legal" plates on any of my bikes and get regularly stopped over here for them....but unfortunately for the local plod they can't fine me or anything as only UK plod can issue a fine for a UK registered bike.

I'm sure the EU laws will catch up sometime but not yet and the last 11 years I've run the gauntlet: pipes too loud and no DB killers..96dB at tickover, indicators not std location or size, etc. etc. etc. - en vacances Mr. Gendarme .... lol

When the laws become "standard European" I'll keep my modified bikes for shows etc. and go buy a Diavel me thinks ;)

revver
20-07-2012, 09:45 PM
I was talking to a bloke on a ZZR 1400 (very nice bike) with a miniscule plate and he was from wolverhampton. i asked how often had he been stopped he said never even had cops follow him. I personally run full sised as i would get stopped all the time and its not worth the hassle for something like that. (full sised keeps the water off my a**e anyhow).

He11cat
20-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I did have one bike with a plate that was tiny , but it was like it when I purchased it.
I was worried as had baffless bean can and little plate on a bright orange bike ..
Myself and previous owner never had any trouble.
However I changed to a normal plate.

We had another one of these campaigns a while ago with the " tintometer" checking visors.
I agree with side windows and tinting don't like it.

Am I getting really old but another thing I don't like is kids who fill car up with speakers..
I love music ! I love music when I drive my car but when it gets to a point where I am behind a mobile disco and the music is punching into my chest.
And vibrating my visor when I'm on my bike and so distorted it could be Jedwood megamix on acid playing... There's so much distortion to the sound who knows!!!

That can't be safe to drive in.
Although round here if your on your bike behind them and they roll down the window youl get a cloud of skunk in your face or a fag butt

Or is this my midlife crisis I'm turning into Mr Meldrew!
"I don't beeelieeeeeve it!"

LVC
21-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Yep definately getting old HellCat :(

Easy fix for noisy car stereos - pull alongside with the Monster and rev a couple of times - last time I did this with the S4, unbaffled Termis and open dry clutch the chap in the car closed his window as he couldn't hear his music.

Saint aka ML
21-07-2012, 01:55 PM
You may not like some of the laws in this country, or the way our police choose to enforce them, but they are still the law and apply equally to everyone, so break it at your own risk. It does sometimes appear though, that bikers are a particularly easy target. I have a fully legal plate and it's staying that way. My bike is for road use, not show use.
However, I would really like to see a clampdown on cars with dark tinted front side windows (which are illegal) as they prevent you from seeing whether the driver waiting to pull out of that side road is actually looking at you, or just texting his mates...

Jerry problem is law does not apply equally now does it? Unless speed camera is involved two different people might get opposite ends of punishment for same speeding offence. That is just an example. When officer stops you level of your fine depends as much from your offence as it does from PC's first impression of you, his mood, if he likes or does not like bikers and from your actions after getting stopped. If they can interpret as simple rule as speeding why do they expect others to not do the same?

Yep definately getting old HellCat :(

Easy fix for noisy car stereos - pull alongside with the Monster and rev a couple of times - last time I did this with the S4, unbaffled Termis and open dry clutch the chap in the car closed his window as he couldn't hear his music.

Did the same in London number of times, works.