PDA

View Full Version : DP Dymag Spoke Wheels

tricolore
16-07-2012, 04:28 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320933855033?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4820wt_1139

I wasn't sure these ever existed ........ the pairs for sale :hissy:

PDS
16-07-2012, 04:43 PM
cosmicknome was selling some back in march this year, on this site, dont know if they ever sold,

Its alot of money to invest in some wheels :) especially if you only do road riding, cant imagine you would reap the real benefits they give in "normal" use.

But if you want it, you got the cash (or credit card) why not, some people spend more than that on a ring.

Saint aka ML
16-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Well as they are spoke I guess they would not be lighter then your stock wheels, I would expect them to way more. Unless someone knows how much they way I would say it is only for looks. Hubs in those things way a tone, all spokes together are quite heavy as well. However getting a set of 5 spoke carbon rims you would notice difference in road riding, mainly turn in but also acceleration and braking.

slob
16-07-2012, 05:10 PM
7.4kg rear, 5.1kg front. The rear looks nasty where it's been drilled for spokes. €3000 for a pair of wheels... about the same price as BST 5 spokes, which are around half the weight. The spoked ones are still quite sexy if that's the look you're after.

Dookbob
16-07-2012, 05:52 PM
They looked quite nice at first, but like Slob I couldn,t help but notice the crap looking drilling to to take the spoke. These holes should have a titanium ferrule inserted into them.

Blah blah
16-07-2012, 07:08 PM
For whatever they cost, that is some pretty poor hole making for the spokes...

gary tompkins
16-07-2012, 10:47 PM
They looked quite nice at first, but like Slob I couldn,t help but notice the crap looking drilling to to take the spoke. These holes should have a titanium ferrule inserted into them.

Yep the quality on those is awful for the money

I'll stick to PVM's

Phatty
17-07-2012, 01:36 PM
They're pig ugly, why would you want them instead of marchesini's?

tricolore
17-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Personally I like spoke wheels to look at and that's all I'm interested in at the moment. Marchesini are on everything, if I wanted something really special then one of the other brands mentioned would be preferable.

gary tompkins
17-07-2012, 03:49 PM
http://www.track-daze.co.za/images/pvm_wheels.jpg

Albie
17-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I didn't like the finish around the holes. Looks a bit chattery . Personally I like carbon and the mix of carbon alloy but not at that price at all. Its a rob and never worth the gain in weightloss and being broke. I would prefer to put wire spoked alloy rims on mine for sure.

utopia
17-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Getting rid of unsprung weight, and rotational inertia, makes an awful lot of sense, but as has been said, there are better ways of doing it. However, the weight of the hub is less significant because its at the centre of the wheel where rotational inertia is minimised.
They do look nice though, and I like the way that load is distributed more evenly around the rim with a spoked wheel. It just seems to make sense.
Bit of a bugger to clean though, and on a keeper bike such as mine, that's a life sentence.
As for the spoke drillings, surely there must be some sort of reinforcement inboard of the spoke holes....a steel belt or something perhaps.....? If not, then I certainly wouldn't feel confident in the knowledge that my wheels were held together by such flimsy slivers of carbon fibre, with or without titanium ferrules. It may be strong stuff, but its not magic.
I've seen carbon rims without the flanges, drilled through the rim itself in conventional fashion with a sealant strip over the holes so tubeless tyres can still be used. That seems like a more sensible way of doing it.
And then there's the dread at tyre changing time. You'd be hard pressed not to damage them.
They do appear to be cool at first sight, but less so on reflection. Possibly even uncool as they're bling at the expense of function. (though I admit that I was tempted by the ones cosmicknome was selling, at first).
All things considered, if you're after that look then I think spoked allys are the way to go.

Albie
17-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Getting rid of unsprung weight, and rotational inertia, makes an awful lot of sense, but as has been said, there are better ways of doing it. However, the weight of the hub is less significant because its at the centre of the wheel where rotational inertia is minimised.
They do look nice though, and I like the way that load is distributed more evenly around the rim with a spoked wheel. It just seems to make sense.
Bit of a bugger to clean though, and on a keeper bike such as mine, that's a life sentence.
As for the spoke drillings, surely there must be some sort of reinforcement inboard of the spoke holes....a steel belt or something perhaps.....? If not, then I certainly wouldn't feel confident in the knowledge that my wheels were held together by such flimsy slivers of carbon fibre, with or without titanium ferrules. It may be strong stuff, but its not magic.
I've seen carbon rims without the flanges, drilled through the rim itself in conventional fashion with a sealant strip over the holes so tubeless tyres can still be used. That seems like a more sensible way of doing it.
And then there's the dread at tyre changing time. You'd be hard pressed not to damage them.
They do appear to be cool at first sight, but less so on reflection. Possibly even uncool as they're bling at the expense of function. (though I admit that I was tempted by the ones cosmicknome was selling, at first).
All things considered, if you're after that look then I think spoked allys are the way to go.

Theres probably an inner aluminium band. They probably lay it in there when making. You cannot get strength alone from the carbon. It just has to wear away and spokes will just keep getting loose. I had my wheel laced 6 months ago and not been on road yet but it needs a little tighten here and there.

tricolore
17-07-2012, 05:20 PM
There's no way I'm paying anything like the asking price. Interesting that the eBay ad states ' not for road use' ? What else would you do with them....

I've pm'd Cosmicnome, if anybody knows another way of contacting him I'd be interested to hear his thoughts and whether his are still for sale.

Interesting how many of us in favour of spoke wheels but probably for cosmetic reasons rather than function... Sport classic wheels would be the db's on a monster ?

gary tompkins
17-07-2012, 05:39 PM
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=41976.15

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=24888.15

http://www.alpinaraggi.it/en/catalog/50332

http://jcpakbikes.com/cgbg/image/p9192155.jpg

gary tompkins
17-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Sport classic spoked wheels are much heavier than some cast ones though

This guy saved nearly 30lbs of rotational weight by going to forged BST wheels

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/Motowheelscom/Motowheels%20Sport%20Classic/SCRS.jpg

slob
17-07-2012, 06:12 PM
BST wheels aren't forged Gary, they're genuine laminated ;-)

http://www.blackstonetek.com/images/5spoke-swept.jpg

gary tompkins
17-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Ahh.. couldn't tell from the photo's and forgot BST's are carbon

That would explain the massive weight loss then ;)

tricolore
17-07-2012, 06:52 PM

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/Motowheelscom/Motowheels%20Sport%20Classic/SCRS.jpg

Sex on wheels ?

slob
17-07-2012, 09:03 PM
The lastest PVM 6 spokes are very nearly as light if you can afford the Mg ones

Albie
17-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Sex on wheels ?

Thats frickin' gorgeous. I need more black on mine

Albie
17-07-2012, 09:16 PM

I love that bike. Frickin' gorgeous. I need more black

Pomp1
17-07-2012, 09:38 PM
SC wheels weight a tonne and would adversely affect handling. The alpina one are carbon laminated ally, so not a massive weight saving, if any at all. When modifying a bike handling MUST be kept in consideration IMHO.

Nottsbiker
18-07-2012, 11:53 AM
SC wheels weight a tonne and would adversely affect handling. The alpina one are carbon laminated ally, so not a massive weight saving, if any at all. When modifying a bike handling MUST be kept in consideration IMHO.

Who cares when they look bloody loverly though? :biggrin:

Pomp1
18-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Who cares when they look bloody loverly though? :biggrin:

I do. Surely if your bike starts to handle like a barge you won't be thinking "still, when I stop I can admire my wheels..".Or am I missing the point of biking?

He11cat
18-07-2012, 01:32 PM
They do look nice however having owned several unglam spoked wheeled bikes no thanks.
They are such a pig if they get dirty ...admitedly mine just normal run of the mill older bikes.

But no..... not for riding about on the roads.
the cleaning drives me to despair!

Mind you the chaps with white wheels I thought where brave souls ....... yellow wheels :( boy do they get dirty! :)

buzzbomb
18-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I have in front of me a monster S4 accessories and kit catalogue which is quite afew years old, in it are the carbon rimmed spoke wheels the RR price including vat was 794-50 for the 3.50x17 front and 1011-20 for the 5.50x17 rear. It states that they are Special rims with central spokes and carbon groove, and that they are specially devised to reduce vehicle unsprung weight. It concludes with the statement that these rims also stand out thanks to their refined design.

Don't shoot me I'm only posting what I have in front of me.

So if they were 1865-70 pounds back then you had to be really keen to have them.

tricolore
18-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Thats very interesting, so how much would you pay for a second hand set today, being 10 years old. Makes the ones on eBay rather expensive.

marchesini
18-07-2012, 09:23 PM
If you're talking light. You need some of these bad boys. Magnesium centres & carbon rims. Special lightweight titanium paint as well... perhaps. Weight - oh... about the same as a ham sandwich with lettuce but no mayo.

Courtesy of Nattyboy Independent Traders ;)

Capo
18-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Weight - oh... about the same as a ham sandwich with lettuce but no mayo.

Would that be similar to those sold at filling stations in Belgium?

slob
18-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Simon doesn't know, he's been unable to locate Belgium so far.

marchesini
19-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Would that be similar to those sold at filling stations in Belgium?

Don't be silly. Nothing could be as light as that ham sandwich. It was so memorable, I captured it for all time and as a warning to others - avoid Belgium.

Nottsbiker
19-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I do. Surely if your bike starts to handle like a barge you won't be thinking "still, when I stop I can admire my wheels..".Or am I missing the point of biking?

No, youre missing the point of owning a Ducati ;)

On a more serious note I'd love some wire wheels for my 900 just to make it stand out from all the others and look a little older / more classic at the same time.

Pomp1
19-07-2012, 09:01 PM
No, youre missing the point of owning a Ducati

Yep, that is probably it. From now on my eyes are open. I will cover my bike in heavier stuff, make it handle worse and go slower, so people can take a good look at it.:rolleyes: oh, and I might join HOG while at it..

buzzbomb
19-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Nice answer Max...:thumbsup:

I'm certain that you know the point of ducati ownership...:rolleyes:

Nottsbiker
20-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Are you two deliberately trying to troll me for an angry response? I do understand that I'm not in the forum clique but you do realise it was a joke dont you??

Anyways rant over and will now only post things that fit inline with the forum mainstream view / opinion :)

gary tompkins
20-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Forum/mainsteam view... wassat then? :scratch:

Nobody told me I was supposed to be blending in... oops

http://www.duccutters.com/GaryTompkins-Tricati.tpl

slob
20-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I'd hope this forum isn't too cliquey, those that get out and about and meet others more may have a greater rapport going on than those that don't though. I'd also guess that 350 posts and rising you're one of our more regular contributors of late Ben. Try not to take it personally ;-)

Nottsbiker
20-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the pm. I'll relax and not take any offence :)

Albie
20-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Nice answer Max...:thumbsup:

I'm certain that you know the point of ducati ownership...:rolleyes:

Ducati ownership.... Love your bike. Treat it like your best friend. We often neglect or best friends but still make it up.

Capo
20-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the pm. I'll relax and not take any offence :)

And have a ham sandwich :biggrin: