PDA

View Full Version : Roadracing ally tank

Nottsbiker
16-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Did anyone else see it come up on ebay.com last week?

I put in a bid but it went over what I could(nt) afford but only ended up at £373.09 + shipping from Oregon at around £50.

I'm still holding out for some brake scoops.......:hissy:

Stafford
16-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Dam missed out on a bargain there........or did I :biggrin:

He11cat
16-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Don't hate me ..... My New Nano, My fav mentally exspensive handbag I just looked at and did not use, and the man at Santander ..... I hit the button then though ohhhhh Cr*ap im skint as it is !!!!!! Just cleared my overdraft as well :( so Mr Santander and my overdraft are now groaning :(

He had 2 the other one went for over £600 damaged which was mental.....the £600 one was lovely.
This one needs a hell of a lot of work stripping and reworking.
Its not in great condition and need stripping back to bare metal.
I don't think it will everbe perfect which is why it went for alot less then the other one.
I won't be able to undertake the work for a while ...

I also have a matching fairing you see ... and well .... why did I not just buy a god dam Honda!!!!
If I see of hear of scoops I wil let you know.

I need my head testing I can't believe Ive just got myself back in debt over a Fuel tank ffs.

He11cat
16-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I need to ask you about the petrol cap Stafford it has a cap but no Key!!!! sniff...

utopia
16-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm kinda glad that I didn't see it as I can no way afford one at the moment.
.......I know how you feel, Mel (apart from the handbag bit, obviously).

He11cat
16-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I am a failure of a woman .............
What sane woman would get shot of her best custom made handbag thats one off for her ... for a petrol tank!!!! The Nano don't give a stuff about as have my phone... its the near £200 I now have to find to give Mr Santander oooops .... I finish work for the summer guess who is going to be sitting doing poxy ebay and worse still another car boot sale which I loathe!!!

Why did I not just stick toa pile of poo jap bike!
The little bike is staying as he is just needs belt covers.

But the glittery one ... in time I would like to overhaul and get him dry clutched .. I don't want a 900cc lump in him as I am only a wimp. I guess I had better start looking on how the best way of removing the laquer off and stuff without scuffing up the metal .

I saw the lovely one and wept when I saw it go for £600 plus! The guy emailed me to say he had another but he wanted to auction it.. I was a bit suss to what damage the tank had so he told me and I left it til last minute as I really really am skint ...
I figured if I got it I got it if I didn't it was not meant to be I shut my eyes and then it popped up you have won then I thought oh ...... what did I just do!!!!!
Liz we both have matching vases now :)

I would like to make hector into something special I am sick of going to bike shows and seeing people sniff at monsters ... and go gaga over some boring old Blandit thats got real flame paint yawn!

Stafford
16-07-2012, 01:38 PM
See these guys for keys if you're lucky or a fuel cap if not.
http://www.newton-equipment.com/

bex
16-07-2012, 02:12 PM
What sane woman would get shot of her best custom made handbag thats one off for her ... for a petrol tank!!!!

You mean to tell me there's women out there who would choose a ****ing handbag over a rr ally tank?

the_adam
16-07-2012, 02:50 PM
You mean to tell me there's women out there who would choose a ****ing handbag over a rr ally tank?

Only the ones that haven't been thinking carefully...simply attach a strap and you could use it for both purposes :D

He11cat
16-07-2012, 04:42 PM
No it's a vase ;)

Nottsbiker
16-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Who ever bought ended up with it got a bargain as they are going for serious money in the right now, last one went for $1000!!

Grumpy
16-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Who ever bought ended up with it got a bargain as they are going for serious money in the right now, last one went for $1000!!

I think Hellcat bought it!!

Nottsbiker
16-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Bloody phone! Missed out USA - I frickin hate the stupid auto correct :(

I bid up to £250 but tbh was glad I didn't win as I couldn't have justified the expense no matter how much I would have liked to...

uksurfer
16-07-2012, 08:04 PM
ended up at £373.09 + shipping from Oregon at around £50.
:

cheaper in belgium......

buzzbomb
16-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Good olde Rally...:biggrin:

animaluk
16-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I did'nt buy it as I have brought 2 chromo tanks in as many weeks im now chromo'd out :)

He11cat
16-07-2012, 09:17 PM
No Santander brought it :(
Is is true you can live with just one kidney??
I am now thinking what have I done :(
What a nobby .

He11cat
16-07-2012, 09:18 PM
You above stop showing off .

Pomp1
16-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I mean, really? 1k for a tank? That's just plain stupid..

the_adam
16-07-2012, 09:37 PM
No Santander brought it :(
Is is true you can live with just one kidney??
I am now thinking what have I done :(
What a nobby .

I'm sure you can. If not you could possibly have it converted into a replacement one though - it's about the right shape. Being a roadracing kidney it'd clearly be much lighter and generally better than the one you replaced it with too ;)

He11cat
16-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Some of the quotes I got to have one made £800 plus vat!!!!!!!!
The guy who says £500 never seems to actually make any just leads you to think he is apparently!
I couldnt afford nor justify it :(

The one that went last week was £600 and needed work .
I'm going to be selling all summer to pay the money back .
But it was a rare chance .
Would I have paid more no .. That was my top bid .
If it had gone a penny higher I'd have let it go.

Capo
16-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I hope you receive it in the condition you expect

He11cat
17-07-2012, 12:11 AM
It needs work I understood that.
I hope so as well !
The chap has consistant good feedback .
Fingers crossed I know it's not perfect and a gamble.Also need to get a key made to fit fuel cap

skank
17-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Hahahhahaa!!!! Well done chick!! I was out getting pissed and forgot to bid, I would have gone up to £600 easily for the damn thing. I'm glad someone from the club got it. I did notice a suspicious quietness around the forum when the tanks went up for sale :D

He11cat
17-07-2012, 10:56 AM
The silver one was lovely ..... but it kept going up and up and I couldn't afford it.
I had 7 days to sort some money from bank overdraft and sell some stuff.

It was a good excuse to declutter a bit , I still have lots of things. So instead of gold and handbags I have a shiny tank now well I hope.

gary tompkins
17-07-2012, 12:42 PM
So which monster is it going on then?

Would look nice on the yellow one if painted to match

http://www.roadracingworld.com/images/article/1stplaceNY1138218905.JPG

http://www.ducatiomaha.com/images/jjmonstertank.jpg

He11cat
17-07-2012, 01:13 PM
The yellow one is now black with yellow and I like him like that and wanted to keep the 400 pretty stock, I have a matching ally fairing.

I was thinking of the glittery one at some point.
He's looking a bit left out.
But first have to see how bad tank is and see how I can resuce it.
Also it was a serious comitment to the bike as I am happy on my monsters.
couldn't go back to an inline 4 now.

Phatty
17-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Stop saying "brought" when you mean "bought"!!!!

Kato
17-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Mel, now that you have the front and the middle bits how about the matching rear to go with it ?? could easily be pursuaded to part with it to a good home!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/kato--/RR1.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/kato--/RR2.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/kato--/RR3.jpg

animaluk
17-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I ****ing hate grammer nazi's f.ucl off and troll somwhere else

He11cat
17-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Just on my way home kato il have an eyeball at that ! Please stop !

As for spelling and grammer I know mine is terrible , my auto correct cant be blamed for everything!!!
Is that me again????
Rubbish at spelling rubbish as a woman ..
Oh dear me ... I do wonder what my purpose is in life.

Albie
17-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I mean, really? 1k for a tank? That's just plain stupid..

I just spent £2000 on a tank because I like it and its alloy and Utopia said you need an alloy tank one. So I did but get the bike with it..

I also get an orange bike...

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pG6MYpV_FCS2yYBzep2n7gNVVxxN2qwXH0abWeVk7wrkHYhl 2GumV6SojQUn0TQCM37D3jyDdIzfwKTU465eYVA/IMAG0354.jpg?psid=1

Rally
17-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I just spent £2000 on a tank because I like it and its alloy and Utopia said you need an alloy tank one. So I did but get the bike with it..

I also get an orange bike...]

Youve been Tango'd Albie!

Albie
17-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Ha ha yes ...... Looks like it soon. I can join the club with GT and CK/AK and Utopia

Mel if the tank is slightly dented can I recommend my friends post who had his TT tank undented and polished. This is a man who likes his bikes just right and he is very pleased.

The post....

Any of you guys need a TT or aluminium tank straightening then this
gent is your man.

http://www.jc-classicrestorations.co.uk ... /home.html

Joss Creed
Unit 2 High Heath Garage
Hinstock
Market Drayton
Shropshire
TF9 2ST

01952 550206
josscreed@hotmail.co.uk

Sample work.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/markcoppersmih/Yamaha%20TT500/DSC_0925.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/markcoppersmih/DSC_1060.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/markcoppersmih/Yamaha%20TT500/DSCF5723.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj160/markcoppersmih/Yamaha%20TT500/DSCN97792.jpg

TTB

utopia
17-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Ooooh, Albie. Nice one mate.
Now you're talking !
Keep it light, minimal and useable.
I bet that one becomes your favourite.
I'd go for a single seat and a full titanium exhaust.
Maybe some tiny, barely legal lighting just to get you there and back, or blatting down town.

ps/edit.....and lose/chop/lower the front mudguard

Nottsbiker
17-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I'll keep on hunting for the bargains whilst concentrating on rebuilding my house into a decent hom and look forward to being able to bling out a monster in a couple of years :)

He11cat
19-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Thanks Albie !! :) thats fab

He11cat
19-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Kato that is lovely .... il pm you :)

The Yellow bike I saw those side panels on a bike for sale are they roadracing as I really liked them :)

marchesini
19-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Road Racing Fever....
don't get it.

The chrome tank is quite cool but most of the other stuff - awful. Trying way too hard and nowadays just looks outdated. Front fender, side panels, seat cowl, brake covers (to what purpose do these actually serve???) - all gash. All those exposed rivets - wouldn't look out of place on a Cher outfit. Is the attraction just because it's not made anymore? Maybe there's a reason - it looks rubbish.

All in my humble opinion of course.

He11cat
19-07-2012, 01:47 AM
I like the tank but with minimal paint on it .
But I like alli tanks full stop , if this had not have come up I would have saved and saved and had one bespoke made.
I like the little side panels but thats it really.
I wouldn't deck my whole bike out in the same thing.

But I feel the same about other brands ....
I don't want to offend anyone but I would not deck my entire bike totally in DP or rizoma either for the same reason...
I saw a lovely bike the other day and people where having a big look at it .
On closer inspection yes lots of money had been spent on it and yes it looked quite nice.
But when I had a really close look it had the entire Rizoma catalog thrown at it.. my heart sank a little as it took the charm away.

I buy things because I like them not down to brand names.
If I knew someone I would draw up things I would like made and get them made.
I don't know a soul who works like that at the moment.

I also often buy stuff thats in need of work or fixing because you ave to put that bit of effort into it and its more satisfying.

I hated The Harley scene for that ..... I was so sick of screamin Eagle bolt on stuff I actually had rows with my then husband.
The Harley shops where scary places walls and walls of stuff.. his bike looked like a bad Christmas tree in the end .
If I saw Live to ride ride to live with a poxy eagle ever again I would have a meltdown it s only now I can mention that catalogs name.

skank
19-07-2012, 09:38 AM
If I saw Live to ride ride to live with a poxy eagle ever again I would have a meltdown it s only now I can mention that catalogs name.

Hahahahahahahahaaaa!!!! Agreed.

I am in love with the RR tank. I cannot tell you how much I regret selling my last bike with that beautiful ally and red tank on it. I do agree a little with Marchesini, not a lot of the RR stuff has aged well. The tank being all kinds of awesome though.

the_adam
19-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Road Racing Fever....
don't get it.

The chrome tank is quite cool but most of the other stuff - awful. Trying way too hard and nowadays just looks outdated. Front fender, side panels, seat cowl, brake covers (to what purpose do these actually serve???) - all gash. All those exposed rivets - wouldn't look out of place on a Cher outfit. Is the attraction just because it's not made anymore? Maybe there's a reason - it looks rubbish.

I don't really like it either, for the overall look rather than the riveting though. Everyone's different :) As far as I know the purpose of the brake covers was to act as air scoops, so you have faster airflow over the disks and so better cooling. Whether it's actually needed is another matter :D

He11cat
19-07-2012, 10:52 AM
You can go over kill on anything .... (says the girl who had a fight with a bag of glitter!)

At the end of the day everyone is different , we each have our own taste and thats what makes the world go round :)

I buy what I like reguardless of a name ... If I like it I will buy it.

Basically I am just a magpie if it shines or glitters I am there !
I like just to have a couple of key things and thats it as focal points on a bike.
I think if I was offered the choice between a big box of bling and a dry clutch I would opt for the dry clutch as that what I love most.

The little yellow and black fella all I want for him is a set of belt covers and to get a non cut out seat for him. I want him not to be fussy... just a tidy little monster.

Hector I use quite a bit but I would like to get him looking nice as I get sick of going to bike shows and seeing bandit after bandit or cruisers same old same old and I know the monsters would never win anything and I don't care ..... but its good PR for them plus I do love to upset the apple cart a bit :)
I do love to have a chuckle at people moaning about those bloody rattly things!! :)

He11cat
19-07-2012, 10:58 AM
You did what Skank!!!! noooooooo.......
Ive kept my old tank Hector had on him with that little badge of honor dent they all get ....
If I ever sold that would be back on like a shot !!!!

The little one I stripped him of all the stuff he came with body kit the lot .... and started again all second hand mind and took me nearly two years to do.

Nottsbiker ..... sniff I don't have a home ...... I have something il post up later my new house :)
It was a steal :)

I stumbled across the tank by accident .. I also have a friend who imports bits from Japan so if I hear of anything Il let you know ... im not looking for anything else now apart from a new shirt for my back.

Nottsbiker
19-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Road Racing Fever....
don't get it.

I only want the tank because its ally and exposes the rear cylinder for better cooling and obviously better looks, along with the brake scoops because they fit in with the overall style-direction I'm going with on my project (+I always liked them on Cagiva Super-City's).

Wouldnt mind one of the seat covers with the nifty little rack built onto it, but apart from that I dont want any other RR stuff for my 900 :)

utopia
19-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I agree..... I too only like the tank, simply because its alloy and for the way it exposes the engine. The only downside is that it won't take a magnetic tank bag, which is fairly essential for the luggage-limited monster. My plan is to cut and weld a std steel tank to the same cutaway shape.
Oh, and the screens are nice too, but not the rest.
The rivetty look would be cool if it was on a one-off item made in the shed with limited facilities, but on a production item it becomes pointless and a bit of a style folly.
The little rack on the cowl looks good at first sight, but probably wouldn't be strong enough to carry a great deal as (I assume) it relies on the flimsy cowl fixings.
And the disc scoops look pointless too, imho.

Its a shame that nobody seems to make an alloy tank for monsters at a reasonable price. I'm sure they would sell pretty well.

Capo
19-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I understand these people will be producing an alloy tank for Monsters in the near future.

http://vintageautoworld.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/119435006-101257158/1970_s_Ducati_750SS_aluminum_alloy_gas_fuel_petrol _tank_reservoir.html

Capo
19-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I only want the tank because its ally and exposes the rear cylinder for better cooling and obviously better looks, along with the brake scoops because they fit in with the overall style-direction I'm going with on my project (+I always liked them on Cagiva Super-City's).

Wouldnt mind one of the seat covers with the nifty little rack built onto it, but apart from that I dont want any other RR stuff for my 900 :)

Better cooling? I think not, the brake scoops serve no purpose

He11cat
19-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I found a very good company but it was £800 for a tank :(
But then again how much is a new tank from Ducati I wonder?

Nottsbiker
19-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Better cooling? I think not, the brake scoops serve no purpose

So is any motorcycle that can exceed 70mph but I bet you still want them don't you?

Blah blah
19-07-2012, 07:00 PM
"Show don't go..." :running:

satan916
19-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I found a very good company but it was £800 for a tank :(
But then again how much is a new tank from Ducati I wonder?

£1400 for a stock S4 tank (I know cos I tried to get a new one from my insurers when it got trashed in the garage), guess what, they said no and repaired the original

He11cat
19-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Crikey!!!! Probably why you see so many monsters with that little battle scar on their tank .

the_adam
20-07-2012, 12:21 AM
£1400? For a tank? :eyepopping:

Unless Ducati have them hand-carved out of billet mithril by the last surviving dodo, plus they come filled with matsutake mushrooms and imbue the rider with the powers of Chuck Norris I'd be very disappointed! :D

He11cat
20-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Don't worry Adam they most certainly do come with that fitted as standard!

the_adam
20-07-2012, 12:33 AM
In that case the price is entirely reasonable :) It seems that the Chuck Norrisly powers of mine are broken though, may have to order a replacement now! ;)

gary tompkins
20-07-2012, 09:00 AM
They must have gone up in price.. they used to be about £900

Nottsbiker
20-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Think someone in the states is looking at having some made, or at least they seem to have been doing so for what seems like forever over on the other Monster forum.

The tank that got sold was from a pair of bikes that were bought for a steal (I think) and this is the second one thats been sold after the bikes were broken for spares - talk about a good earner as one tank sold for more than x2 almost complete bikes were originally advertised for.

Still with the other examples of tank prices floating about the cost of the ebay one seems pretty reasonable now.

gary tompkins
20-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Hahahahahahahahaaaa!!!! Agreed.

I am in love with the RR tank. I cannot tell you how much I regret selling my last bike with that beautiful ally and red tank on it. I do agree a little with Marchesini, not a lot of the RR stuff has aged well. The tank being all kinds of awesome though.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5247/5234303989_40f6be80d0_z.jpg

skank
21-07-2012, 06:10 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5247/5234303989_40f6be80d0_z.jpg

:hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy:

Sigh.

gary tompkins
22-07-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm assuming you still have the M900 out in South Africa with you Skank?

He11cat
22-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Yes he had two bikes .. The silver tank sold for over £600 accident damaged!!!
I walked away !
It was a lovely tank and the chap wasn't daft!
My tank was the less attractive one however it when I have funds will be stripped back , I will look at getting it repaired.
I'm in no hurry .
I'm happy .. But il be happier when it arrives as he has not been in touch since!
When I sell I keep in touch with the buyer and if I sold a high value item like when I sold my diamondback lid I made sure it all went smoothly and kept in close contact with my buyer.
I've heard bugger all not sure if it's been dispatched which is not very good at all.
If it doesn't turn up il be raging!

Capo
22-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Has he got your money?

He11cat
22-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Ok he's shipped it ! Phew let's hope UPS don't use it as a football !

He11cat
24-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Mine is the black one ( its not in as good nick as the other one that went for a lot more but trying to have a close look in the pics I would say both needed stripping back fixing then laquering.

The silver one looks lovely but at way more then what I paid and still needing work I am happy.
Or will be when it arrives.

Im not sure about the painted bits to be honest althought the silver works a treat.

I also need to get a key for the petrol cap :(

Pomp1
24-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Mine is the black one ( its not in as good nick as the other one that went for a lot more but trying to have a close look in the pics I would say both needed stripping back fixing then laquering.

The silver one looks lovely but at way more then what I paid and still needing work I am happy.
Or will be when it arrives.

Im not sure about the painted bits to be honest althought the silver works a treat.

I also need to get a key for the petrol cap :(

I can't really see the pics as they're too small but I hope there's not too much damage as fixing dents in ali is going to be a very difficult job. Or are thinking to go for filling?

Nottsbiker
24-07-2012, 12:17 PM
A friend of mine is great at fixing dented tanks and has worked for many of the well known mc paint shops in this part of the world (MRS, Dream-Machine etc), however you would need to send it to me and it might get 'lost' in the post ;)

He11cat
24-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Ideally I'd like the dent out.
But if that can't happen I guess it's fill and paint :(
Or leave the dent as it that dent all monsters get :)

Darkness
24-07-2012, 04:49 PM

It's called "History" or "Character".

He11cat
24-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Yes that's right !!!! :)

gary tompkins
24-07-2012, 10:54 PM

Posted up by Albie earlier in the thread

Any of you guys need a TT or aluminium tank straightening then this
gent is your man.

http://www.jc-classicrestorations.co.uk ... /home.html

Joss Creed
Unit 2 High Heath Garage
Hinstock
Market Drayton
Shropshire
TF9 2ST

01952 550206
josscreed@hotmail.co.uk

Why not give the bloke a ring for a quote?

He11cat
24-07-2012, 11:34 PM
I most certainly will :)

gary tompkins
25-07-2012, 08:14 AM
I most certainly will :)

Getting the dent professionaly fixed is a no brainer IMO

If you resort to filling and paint you might just as well have bought a steel tank

skank
25-07-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm assuming you still have the M900 out in South Africa with you Skank?

Totally! Not for sale this one.

He11cat
25-07-2012, 12:06 PM
I think what was meant with the RR tank is you have the ally exposed bits and the painted bit .
The dings in these tanks fall on the painted bits so I guess the dings could be filled and repainted on that area.