PDA

View Full Version : The New 900

Blah blah
15-07-2012, 07:26 PM
At last, sunny and managed to get out for a few miles...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f142/AKJRAY/M900/Untitled.jpg

As a comparison against my old 750 (which I last rode 9 months ago), it seems a bit more settled, less twitchy and slower to turn in. It doesn't 'fall' into slow speed corners like the 750. It could be down to the tyres and the fact that I'd previously sorted the suspension, current are some Bridgstone sports touring thingies, old were Michelin Pilot Pures, and they're slightly different sizes.

Power is not noticeably different, very linear, pick up is great and it'll wheely off the throttle - I've already had the back step out :eyepopping: (probably tyres again) and I seemed to be making a bit more progress (ahem :rolleyes: officer) than before which would suggest it's got considerably more power than I used to have.

All in all, a good first ride, but a list of things now to sort out, the joys of second hand bikes...

Fuel light keeps coming on, then going off, then back on even after I filled the tank, :confused: so that's gotta be fixed. Mirrors are pants, I still don't like the hi-levels (quite like the look of a quat-box), the dash lights are rubbish and the seating position felt slightly different, lower perhaps and my ar5e was numb after 50 miles...

Oh, and it needs a damn good clean.

J_Dub
16-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Could you not change the link pipes and put the silencers at low level?

gary tompkins
16-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Upper link pipes are welded to silencers on a lot of high level cans

It's easier to swap them for low levels which include matching link pipes

cactus
16-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Got to say I'm not a fan of high level pipes, NRP can do a tidy underslung exhaust system for the Monster. http://www.nrpexhausts.co.uk/

Nottsbiker
16-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Me too, I think they look totally out of character with the style of a Monster - just my humble opinion however ;)

Yorkie
16-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I think hi-level cans look wrong if they are not positioned correctly (Tight to the side) and if the poke out beyond the seat.

mine couldnt get any tighter. (And thats not just 'cos I'm Northern)

Yorkie

He11cat
16-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Oh no not how did they first make copper wire........ ;)

Yorkie
16-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Oh no not how did they first make copper wire........

Just rude, plain rude!

Yorkie

utopia
16-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Glad you're enjoying the new steed.

Personally, I've grown to prefer high levels.
I like the look of both high and low, but I prefer the cleanliness of the rear end with high cans, as well as the improved access to chain, rear brake etc for maintenance.
I also have a theory that the extra length of pipe makes the engine smoother and more tractable at lower revs, making the whole thing less "lumpy". This might even be more pronounced on the 900 than it seems to be on my 750. Then again it could just be subjective, but I rather think not. I found a similar effect on my trials honda with a longer, Miller exhaust.
Visually speaking, if I went back to low cans I would be very tempted to try a single can system.

J_Dub
16-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Upper link pipes are welded to silencers on a lot of high level cans

It's easier to swap them for low levels which include matching link pipes

Yes, but I thought these used a separate link pipe? From this thread: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=44907

Blah blah
16-07-2012, 06:00 PM
The link is separate to the cans, and I am currently investigating the options for low level links, unfortunately cardboard tube isn't very good...

Blah blah
16-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Oh no not how did they first make copper wire........ ;)

eh?

I'm must be getting old...

Yorkie
17-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Dude, I think that was aimed at me.

Yorkie