PDA

View Full Version : Road legal???

Dookbob
10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
I have fitted a pair of carbon fibre Sil Moto cans on my M600' Not sure wether or not they are road legal. They are not stamped as not for road use , but are stamped with the following number...........SM-06 (e9) 4420 * 02..........
Does any one know the significance of this code number.

Blah blah
10-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Are they loud ? Do they have a big perforated tube through the middle?

If the answer is 'yes' to the above then they are probably not for highway use.:biggrin:

Dirty
10-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Enjoy!http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/2370/contents/made

Actually the bit you want is here (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/2370/regulation/3/made) and basicly says to be road legal it must be "clearly and indelibly marked “BS AU 193/T2”, “BS AU 193a: 1990/T2” or “BS AU 193a: 1990/T3” (being marks referred to in the British Standard Specifications indicating that certain requirements specified in those instruments are met)."

Some more details regarding exhaust markings here (http://www.ukwheels.com/exhausts_dft.asp)

gary tompkins
11-07-2012, 09:20 AM
You can get rivet/bolt in db killer baffles for them

I've got some on mine and it makes a big difference... unbaffled Sils are 105db

Dookbob
11-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Cheers gentlemen, I now have the info I was looking for.

He11cat
11-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Whats the loudest of the makes I know they all have different tones would anyone care to write a tiddly bit about each of the main ones ie Termi , Mivv, Sils .

Ducatis sound great I have never had people moan about exhausts. , they moan about the dry clutched bikes!!
Which again is my most fav sound in the world.

Im sorry but I don't grasp all the worry about it is too loud not being rude .. (well except for MOT)
Only because you have Harleys with straight through slash cut pipes they are loud in an unpleasant way!! sorry ... :(

Blah blah
11-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Whats the loudest of the makes ...:(

GSXR600WV with a carbon fibre Art race can :fou: loudest thing I've ever ridden and I had a XJ650 with 4 into 4 drag pipes and that was quieter !

Dirty
11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Whats the loudest of the makes I know they all have different tones would anyone care to write a tiddly bit about each of the main ones ie Termi , Mivv, Sils .

Ducatis sound great I have never had people moan about exhausts. , they moan about the dry clutched bikes!!
Which again is my most fav sound in the world.

Im sorry but I don't grasp all the worry about it is too loud not being rude .. (well except for MOT)
Only because you have Harleys with straight through slash cut pipes they are loud in an unpleasant way!! sorry ... :(

Of course I'd be happy to write out a little bit about each one...................but someone beat me to it. They have posted vids and sound clips for some of them as well - hours of fun HERE (http://www.exhaust-notes.com/brands.asp?partner=en~jmt) at Exhaust-Notes.com! I kid you not. There is a new rule in town. If you can think of it someone has probably already done it and posted it on the internet.

On a personal exhaust note the loudest I ever heard was when a friend bought a brand spanking new Harley and the moment he got it home he wheeled it into his kitchen, hammered out the baffles with a long flat head screw driver and started it up. The kitchen cupboards started opening and things were falling out. We thought it was hilarious!:biggrin:

Darkness
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Road Legal: that's an oxymoron.

If it's on the road then it must be breaking at least one law, even if it's only causing an obstruction, so it ain't legal.

the_adam
12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Road Legal: that's an oxymoron.

If it's on the road then it must be breaking at least one law, even if it's only causing an obstruction, so it ain't legal.

Hmm...I like it...wonder if you could use that philosophy to get away with speeding tickets? :scratch:

"I was just trying to get off the road as quickly as possible!" :D

He11cat
12-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Cheers I will have a listen .... I loathe the sound of Harley's sorry...
My little Suzi Katana was loud when I hit a bump and ripped out the full stainless yoshi system .... Opps bit of a pisser when it had to be bolted back on!

throstle
13-07-2012, 07:03 AM
The website doesn't seem to include Mivv's or Sil's.