PDA

View Full Version : When to use a paddock stand?

simonb
09-07-2012, 04:36 PM
:confused:On my 695 should I adjust the chain when the bike is on the side stand or is it ok to do it on the paddock stand? Also when checking the oil is it ok for the bike to be upright on the paddock stand or is it better to get a mate to hold it up? Not sure if the paddock stand will effect the oil level...cheers!

Zimbo
09-07-2012, 05:20 PM
If you have a paddock stand, use it to adjust the chain tension. It's not absolutely necessary, but it helps!
As for oil level, having it on the paddock stand does make a slight difference, not enough to be too concerned about though. Having it upright on it's wheels is the most accurate check.

Nickj
09-07-2012, 07:05 PM
It's a lot easier to get the chain run square on a stand

simonb
10-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks! I'll use the stand then.

Funkatronic
10-07-2012, 10:33 AM
paddock stand will change oil level line a bit tho too (not loads tho)

so better to drop the bike off the rear stand to check the oil level . The bike should be upright and on a flat surface

utopia
10-07-2012, 12:57 PM
The chain tension will probably be slightly different on the paddock stand though, as all the weight of the bike is on its wheels and the suspension will deflect further.
I would suggest that you set the tension accurately on the sidestand as recommended (at least it is for my older 750) and then measure the tension when on the paddock stand.
You can then use this new chain tension measurement, in conjunction with the paddock stand, on all future occaisions.

chris.p
10-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I have found over the years, including racing , road etc that the best way to check the chain tension is on the paddock stand, when you think you have it right, lean over the bike with your stomach on the seat and you feet off the floor, so your weight is is taken up by the bike(as it would if you were sat on it, pull the chain upwards with your fingers, in the middle between the two sprockets, it should move upwards by around 15 to 20mm, any tighter and and you can do bad damage to your gearbox output shaft bearing.

If you have a friend, then sit on the bike and let him measure the chain slack.

Chris.

simonb
11-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Thank you one and all!

slob
11-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Also rotate the wheel to find the tightest point on the chain, most used chains have tighter/looser sections of links. If you happen measure the slack at the loosest bit, you may find it's dead tight somewhere else.