PDA

View Full Version : Best way to protect a signature on a bike?

bigredduke
08-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Not sure where the best place to post this is. I was lucky enough today to meet Paul Smart at Mallory Park (festival of 1000 bikes) and he kindly signed the silver seat cover on my Paul Smart 1000 LE. What would be the best way to protect the signature from washing & polishing? The obvious options would seem to be some clear plastic self-adhesive sheet, the type that can be applied to tanks to prevent knee-rub or a coat of clear lacquer. Any advice? Thanks

steeevvvooo
08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Maybe those invisible venture shield (sic) or similar? Often used to protect paint jobs from stone chips etc so should do the job for you

He11cat
08-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Also think about UV protection... sounds daft but some markets even permanent can fade to purpleish in sun.

gary tompkins
09-07-2012, 07:55 AM
You could get it clear coated

I think Mand did this on her signed monster

Zimbo
09-07-2012, 08:04 AM
I covered mine in rattle can clear lacquer from halfords. There's some risk of the signature "bleeding" slightly from the solvent, depending on the type of pen used, but once covered it's all good.

Mand
09-07-2012, 10:14 PM
I havent put anything on my cowl and my bike has been exposed to the elements big style! The writing is still black, luck of the draw maybe? I did borrow a permanent marker freshly stolen from my old job...

NattyBoy
09-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Swerve the laquer - it will probably cause the ink to bleed. Ive got a couple of tanks signed, and I always use the clear protetcive stuff that you used to cover my old school books in - cheap as you like from a stationers and so thin you can hardly see it. Do a template and trim round the autograph first.

purplebug
10-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Buy a spare cowel and keep the other indoors and in a dark cupboard :)