PDA

View Full Version : New discs new pads -grinding noise...? Help?

mrbryanmarshall
05-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi all

I upgraded to the common Goldline Calipers with 320 discs - but had to make custom spacers for the offset correct. (Discs were flat with 5.8mm offset, so had a 4.2mm circular spacer made to take up to 10mm)

I ran with old, ok, pads for about 50 miles - there was a little grinding/juddering at slow/hard braking coming to a stop.

Changed to new pads as soon as they arrived. Started fine, now a grinding sound and juddering all over again.

- copper grease is on back of pads.
- new discs and pads so can't be warped/glazed
- bled lines, so unlikely to be air bubbles
- bobbins should be clean as brand new - disc does move side to side when wiggled

know juddering is common - but usually solved by the above

can i put this down to new pads/disc combo and wearing in?

are there any other factors that i am missing?

i was worried about the offset, but all calculations check out over and over again, and all bit check with vernier etc - if this was off, calipers could push more from one side than the other, pushing off centre alignment of the bobbins, checked this too and can't find any evidence.

Please can ask a favour - if you have the goldline calipers upgrade, please can you have a look to see if the disc sits directly in the middle of the gap, or if it is slightly closer to the inside than the outside edge.

This is worrying me as i know it should be centre, however, i've checked the centre line of the rotor against the caliper join line, and it is dead on....so, either the calipers will have slightly different spacing t the inside edge on either side of the rotor, or, i have a problem/miscalculation, or the join line isn't the centre...

Still this is boggling - visually, it is all pointing to needing a thicker spacer which means that the offset would be greater than 10mm....although all calculations indicate it is correct.

I've driven bikes with brake spacers lie this before - no problem! Kinda hoping it is a new discs/pads wearing in problem (never had new discs before on any bike) and not having to go back to the old setup.

They do work, and well, just hard vibration and grinding/juddering when coming to a stop! very disconcerting"

So...any thoughts/comments are welcome! Thanks!!!!!

JerryT
05-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Perhaps they just need to bed in and you should avoid hard braking pressure for a couple of hundred miles (where possible obviously!!) ??

manwithredbike
05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
you might get some grinding with new pads. juddering would seem to suggest an issue with the discs ie warped, not running true etc.

mrbryanmarshall
05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah....grinding defo....taking it easy for a while, and braking progressively, gently. Still gets a slight gcrrrrrr noise coming to a stop...will see how it goes.

Thanks!