PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

Dookbob
05-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I was checking out the ignition components with the multimeter today, being as I never rode this bike before I did the rebuild, and it's getting near to its road test once I get it off the sorn thingy. Everything checked out OK so I decided to take a look at the spark on my shiny new Iridium plugs. I was surprised to find the spark was of a very feeble apearance, yellow in colour. So I tried the test again with an ordinary GKN of the recommended type, but non Iridium, the spark with these was what I was looking for, nice big blue spark. I wonder has anyone had any issues with Iridium plugs, or any preference from experience with them. I have only run the motor on the bench as yet, and it starts ok with either type.

Headhunter
06-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Okay this is not the technical answer you're looking for but I remember reading an article where it mentioned the irridium plug was not ideal for my Monster (620ie) and the spark would be greater with the normal NGK or Champion plug.

Like I say not a technical answer but do recall thinking to myself well those irridiums were a waste of money. That being said they seem to work fine but have never physically checked the spark.

Dookbob
06-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks for that, at least I now know that's it's not just me being to picky, the non iridiums plugs will be what I run on .

urbanfireblade
07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
My friend with a Ducati 900 SS rates Brisk spark plugs very highly, certainly not cheap but he won't be using any others from now on.
Here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-BRISK-BR12ZC-DUCATI-MONSTER-M800-M900-900-S2R-PASO-DCPR8E-N-XU24EPR-ZU-D8EVX-/150849331975) they are on eBay