PDA

View Full Version : The Baby Monster

He11cat
03-07-2012, 12:24 AM
After a long and rather fraught journey ......

He arrived over a year ago now with chipped and bent frame , acid down frame and casings and list so long of problems even Carl Harrison was sick of the sight of it and I have never heard him mutter about a pain in the arse bike until this one.

Thank you to Grumpy's friend for being a star without Daren this would be a pile of bits!
Also for tolerating me and
I just got things like paint sorted and coating and parts and general running about like a loon. A hellslish start as well and huge setback
Il post pics below

He11cat
03-07-2012, 01:45 AM
beforeish
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/barbazoonew-1.jpg
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/puig.jpg

He11cat
03-07-2012, 01:46 AM
After
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/babypowdercoat2.jpghttp://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/babypowdercoat.jpg
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/BABYJULY2.jpg
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/BABYENGINE3JULY.jpg
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/BABYWHOLE4.jpg
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/BABYJULYFRONYT.jpg
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/bABYJULYWHOLE.jpg

He11cat
03-07-2012, 02:11 AM
he powdercoat is a goldy yellow with a very very fine white flake in it that is only detectable in bright sunlight or very close inspection.

The black took a chap 6times to do, coudn't get it right or blemsih free.
I heard about a local chap Dave at Tricolour and he loves spraying Ducs he did it for me in the end and got it just right.
In the end I went with the raise decals like Hectors as they last and look really nice.

He11cat
03-07-2012, 02:13 AM
sorry posted twice I am so worn out at the mo...... as well as senile.

Zak
03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
It looks great, well done for sticking with it, end result proves it was def worth it!

Z.

Dookbob
03-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Nice one Mel. I particularly like the seat, that must be as low as you can go with a Monnie seat.

the_adam
03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Looking very good :thumbsup: Always liked the yellow frame ones...does he have a name yet or is it just Hector no.2?

urbanfireblade
03-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Don't often see the swing arm done to match the frame. Looks good, bit like a bumble bee :)
I'm also jealous of the rack on the back. One thing Monsters lack is ANY storage space!

He11cat
03-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I am currently saving to have the seat replaced as I don't like the side cut outs they look messy.
He also needs a new custom shock one on him is killing me.

I know this colour scheme is not a popular one but since I have had bikes I have always had a bright colour and black bike kicking about.
First one was hot pink and black.
I mocked up 3 options and I love orange and black and yellow and black.
There was a bit of a vote ...then a huge dilema then standing at the coaters I got but he looks like a bee and if he was orange he wouldn't !
So yellow and black it was.
Yellow with a black frame .. then I thought the other one has a black frame and I wasnted the trellis to be prominant.

Things like the wheels and body kit are all replacements.
The original stuff is still as it was.

I just need to get him tweeked
seat sorted
shock sorted
and new barends on.

I am really happy with him and wouldn't want him any other way.

He11cat
03-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I know the rack looks naff but I can't carry much on my back now :( my bikes are working bikes and I use them to go camping and stuff ... both have little rentek racks .

The swing arm made the yellow flow through.
A few people thought I sounded deranged with the idea but I like it .... I can see things in my old decrepid noggin.

He's now unbattered and hopefully will keep nice for a few years as he is staying put.

urbanfireblade
03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I'll look into Rentek racks as I could do with something like that for mine. I think it looks good,practical comes first with me!

utopia
03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Nice job, Mel.
And full marks for being persistent and single-minded. The results speak for themselves.
I was particularly pleased to note that you didn't do the belt covers yellow...there was one on here about a year ago with yellow covers and I thought they looked a bit iffy.
If you're looking for bar-enders, check the 3" round Oberons....I think they do two types. Mine have a knuckle joint/pivot at the bar-end and a ball and socket adjuster on the mirror. £65 each isn't exactly cheap, but they're nicely made and I'm well pleased with mine. They also pivot fully inwards for getting through narrow gateways etc. and visibility is better than the std stalky ones, in my opinion. I'll try and post a pic (or pop over for seaside ice-cream once the weather improves).
As per my pm, I'm wondering whether a single can exhaust would suit the little motor...???
Maybe satin black Renthals too, if you're thinking of changing the (std..?) bars at all.
And of course, it needs a custom alternator cover plate....;)
But overall, a top job, with a unique and rare outcome.
Full marks.

utopia
03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
I'll look into Rentek racks as I could do with something like that for mine. I think it looks good,practical comes first with me!

If you're not in too much of a hurry, I'm developing a design for a neat, quickly detachable rack for older monsters.
Watch this space (but don't hold you're breath...it could well be many months away yet).

urbanfireblade
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Keep me posted Utopia, I'd be interested in it.

scrapps
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Top job HC the Baby Monster if looking fantastic
I am no a fan of yellow bikes but the black and yellow goes very well :thumbsup::thumbsup:

He11cat
03-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Of course it needs a alternator cover :)
I wonder black anodised bars ... The option of black forks also but I would need later 600 forks.
The yellow is not the same yellow as the Ducati one.
Closest match was triumph racing yellow :)

Bike looks like new :) it was In such a state it really upset me and I promissed I'd tidy him up. He was a bit scrapheap challenge

He11cat
03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
A chap Daren did lots of hard work I just ran about with bits , got bits and sourced people to do stuff and again delivered and picked up stuff and ran it back to garage .

Years ago we used to have little bikes to do up.
I would like to one day if I had a garage buddy to tackle a bike again .
Even if it took years I'd like to pull a monster apart!

At one point I had parts all over East ANglia :)
I spent most evening and weekend collecting bits!

Dukedesmo
03-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Looks great, well done. :thumbsup:

revver
03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Looks real nice mel you've done him proud. But this means i cant do mine yellow and black now.

He11cat
03-07-2012, 05:11 PM
No your have to do yours purple!

FLATTOP
03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Fantastic job Hellcat powder coated wheels look especialy nice heres a pic of a black and yellow bike i used to own. 16397

Albie
03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Mel it looks great. Well done you. I very much like it indeed rack included.

Blah blah
03-07-2012, 07:13 PM
That looks lovely... (and quite yellow)

I need to do mine, anyone remember where the old monster colour changing thingy was?

MrsC_772
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Very tidy! I agree he looks like a bee, but I think it works.

Good for you for your persistence in rescuing an unloved little bike and turning it into something to be proud of.

Marcustheanimal
03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
By jove, I think I like it, as all transformer fans will know, Bumble Bee has to be the name. Also the rack is a good thing, practicality an all.

He11cat
03-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Arhh a yellow viffa!
But there had a be a quirky touch in him so he has the very very fine metal flake which only shows now and then.

Just need to get him set up now as he's a bit wheezy :)
I stupidly forgot to get my headlight housing done.

Also it was nice to be able to trust someone with him.
We have had a bit of a journey some not been great .
I made some big sacrifices to get him done :)

JerryXt
03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
that's very pretty! Complimenti!

gary tompkins
03-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Nice job Mel

Just needs a nice set of high level cans on that now ;)

sapone cremoso
04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Looks Great Mel :eyepopping:, Nicely :)

Dinkybiker
04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Oooo :banana: he's lovely, just what you want to be riding on a dull day, your own little ray of sunshine

He11cat
04-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Thankyou i am relieved he is revamped.

floyd
08-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Glad the mirrors were put to good use. like to see your bike without the side panels, see more of that sweet yellow frame and would show off the shape of the seat.

He11cat
09-07-2012, 12:50 AM
The mirrors are great thank you!!
The seat is temporary actually I hate the cut out bit at the side it was supposed to help me with my little short legs I had it done ages ago.
Id like a full seat but have got to get someone to sculpt it or attack it myself need to fins a tatty seat first so I can attack it :)

Nottsbiker
09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
That looks lovely... (and quite yellow)

I need to do mine, anyone remember where the old monster colour changing thingy was?

Just google 'Ducati monster forum' and its the first choice.

Billye looks tidy, would like to see some better quality pictures so the sparkle shows up :)

steeevvvooo
09-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Looking good Mel. Like my DD bile, but MUCH tidier. And that was before I had what looks like a mild explosion in the garage :biggrin:

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/steeevvvooo/6127edf0.jpg

Zak
09-07-2012, 08:57 PM
A mild explosion!!! It's Al Quaeda-esque!!!

He11cat
10-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Mine exploded all over Suffolk and Essex and Norfolk at one point :)
bits everywhere.

I still have parts everywhere as I was not happy with some bits on the bike so replaced the wheels , body kit I have sets of tyres .... forks or dear me I now have bits everywhere at home and wondering what to keep!! or get shot of :(

belltj
10-07-2012, 11:27 AM
You should put up a list of what you do not want he11cat and i am sure there are people on here who may need/want/buy them?