PDA

View Full Version : Drilled Carb slides?

urbanfireblade
30-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi, me again! :look:
I've heard of drilled carb slides, can anybody tell me if standard ones(for a 600) should have one or two holes in the bottom of the plastic slides? Mine has 2 and i'm wondering if thats the cause of my carb woes when it should just be one.

Capo
30-06-2012, 04:14 PM
The holes will slow the rise of the slide.

urbanfireblade
30-06-2012, 04:17 PM
should i have one hole or two? My bike had a dynojet kit in the carb when i bought it, but with standard exhausts and a performance filter, meaning the carburation was all over the place so i've put it all back to standard but it still has a hesitation, i'm wondering if the previous owners went as far as to drill another hole, so this could be why my bike isn't running right even with standard carb internals(needles, springs, jets).

Capo
30-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I believe there should only be one, its purpose is to port the venturi vacuum to the diaphragm chamber.

urbanfireblade
30-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Ok thanks Capo, this could (hopefully) fix my carb problem! Gonna block up one hole and see what its like!

Blah blah
30-06-2012, 07:11 PM
I seem to remember a Dynojet kit for my old ZXR400 supplied a drill bit to enlarge the holes in the carb slides... sorry, nothing to do with yours, but hey ho

urbanfireblade
30-06-2012, 07:28 PM
I took mine out and looks like it should have 2, the fact they're perfectly equal each side, no burrs and even countersunk on the hollow inside of the slider, no drill marks in the holes either, so no sign of modifying. Shame, i thought i stumbled on what could be causing my carb woes. :(

Dookbob
05-07-2012, 08:03 PM
I took mine out and looks like it should have 2, the fact they're perfectly equal each side, no burrs and even countersunk on the hollow inside of the slider, no drill marks in the holes either, so no sign of modifying. Shame, i thought i stumbled on what could be causing my carb woes. :(
Just took a look at my slides, 2001---M600. No holes in them ????

urbanfireblade
14-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Lol, really? You didn't have these 2 holes either side of your slider? Mines an M600 2001 Y-reg,

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/urbanfireblade/cropped2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/urbanfireblade/Cropped1.jpg

urbanfireblade
14-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I just asked someone to look at theirs while the carbs were off (750SS) and they have a hole each side like mine.

Dookbob
14-07-2012, 03:07 PM
I just asked someone to look at theirs while the carbs were off (750SS) and they have a hole each side like mine.

Sorry mate, I told you wrong the first time, I just slipped a slide out of a spare set of carbs and looked in the right place, there are two holes. As Capo has already said regarding porting vacuum to the top side of the diaphragms, the slides would,t work without these holes. I would think that increasing the size of these holes ( If that is what Dynojet supplied a drill bit in the kit for on some kits) would quicken up the throttle response, which is why they supply a softer sring on the Monster kits, but of course this is not the problem that you currently have is it.