PDA

View Full Version : that vaccum tap

stef
25-06-2012, 06:32 PM
what is this vaccum tap nonsence all about ?
that round thing that sits under the tank hinge ?
are you guys sure it's a tap ? i am just asking, because tonight, when i came to pick the bike up after my days work, and was looking forward to the ride back home, i was shocked to see a pool of petrol under the monster.
the pipe from the tap to the pump had disconnected. ok, poor workmanship on my behalf, as i didnt get the hose clamp far enough on the nipple. so it didnt grip properly... but still,

why is it leaking, i mean pi$$ing on the other side of the tap when the engine is not running ?
what is the point of that bloody thing ?
And i though it would stop my FCR from overfilling in the case of a badly closed valve ?

Kato
26-06-2012, 06:01 AM
I think your talking about the pressure regulator stef

stef
26-06-2012, 07:07 AM
I think your talking about the pressure regulator stef

ah, yes, erm.. that "pressure" regulator..
(dammit)

thanks.
just 9am, and i have solved one of the great mysteries of my life.

utopia
26-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Pressure regulator.....?????

stef
26-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Pressure regulator.....?????

yes, amazing, innit ?

utopia
26-06-2012, 11:09 AM
its unreal......n'est ce pas ?

gary tompkins
26-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Do carbed bikes have a pressure regulator?

Sounds more like an EFI requirement

Dookbob
26-06-2012, 07:31 PM
why would they, none of the ones I have owned have had them.

Dookbob
26-06-2012, 07:34 PM
yes, amazing, innit ?

Are you sure it was leaking from the tap outlet pipe union, If the engine was stopped and the tap is closed as it should be, it could still leak from the tap inlet pipe union. Thats on the side of the tap that goes to the fuel filter.

stef
26-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Are you sure it was leaking from the tap outlet pipe union, If the engine was stopped and the tap is closed as it should be, it could still leak from the tap inlet pipe union. Thats on the side of the tap that goes to the fuel filter.

this m900 carbed was born with one. out of 3 monsters i've owned, it is the first one which has it. is this how you distinguish between male and females monsters or something like that ?

it certainly would explain the inapropriate leak on the parking lot, as it saw me approaching.
next time, i'll have to rub its headlight in it.

to answer your question, it was leaking on the oposite side from the filter. as it's mounted on the frame, one side (the LHS) enters horizontally, and the RHS exits down at an angle. it was leaking through there. just under the testies.

urbanfireblade
26-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Sounds more like a tranny to me :)

Kato
27-06-2012, 06:17 AM
ah, yes, erm.. that "pressure" regulator..
(dammit)

thanks.
just 9am, and i have solved one of the great mysteries of my life.

What I meant to say was fuel cock..........:dunce:

Like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Fuel-Cock-Monster-400-M600-M750-M900-58840142B-/310287567085?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item483e9488ed

stef
27-06-2012, 07:38 AM
What I meant to say was fuel cock..........:dunce:

Like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Fuel-Cock-Monster-400-M600-M750-M900-58840142B-/310287567085?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item483e9488ed

ok, that settles it. my monster is a he, because he has a cock.
and he is as emotional as a young puppy.

has anyone checked to see if their monster of the male type had this kind of problem ? does it leak from the cock if the pump hose is removed ? reason i am asking is because that cock also has the purpose of stopping the carbs from overfilling. The exxact thing happened last week, when i found my inlet pipes full of petol (i had bypassed the cock) . if this cock cant hold anything, what is the point of having it ? i might have it removed for good.

Dookbob
27-06-2012, 09:42 AM
ok, that settles it. my monster is a he, because he has a cock.
and he is as emotional as a young puppy.

has anyone checked to see if their monster of the male type had this kind of problem ? does it leak from the cock if the pump hose is removed ? reason i am asking is because that cock also has the purpose of stopping the carbs from overfilling. The exxact thing happened last week, when i found my inlet pipes full of petol (i had bypassed the cock) . if this cock cant hold anything, what is the point of having it ? i might have it removed for good.

If the fuel tap is passing fuel when the engine is stopped, then it requires replacing, not removing. If you definitely don't want this type of tap, then you can replace it with the earlier monster manual tap, but you will need to fabricate a mounting bracket for it. To recap, If your tap won't hold anything then it,s worn out, past it,s useful life, Unservicable, knackered, you need a new one. Cruel I know, but you can't escape the reality.