PDA

View Full Version : Can any super-sleuths I.D. these cans?

Red Pablo
18-06-2012, 11:21 AM
My 1994 M900 (added to my family in April) has some very fruity cans (no baffles/padding inside) in carbon and I was curious to know if anyone can identify them? They have an aluminium bracket which has been attached to a hole drilled just by the pillion footrest. They're round (not oval) and very lightweight. I'm guessing that they're probably not Termis 'cos of the extra bracket that has been added/hole drilled into the hanger. Pics attached!

Any thoughts? :scratch:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p568/paulstromaine/IMG_6752.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p568/paulstromaine/IMG_6748.jpg

dunlop0_1
18-06-2012, 11:34 AM
They look like the old ART ones with riveted straps. Remus where similar but usually had there name embossed on the end.

J.P
18-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Maybe LeoVince too ?

SunEye
18-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I was going to say ART as well, but I didn't want to be the first to post and look like the sort of nerd who can identify makes of exhaust at 30 paces ;)

The fact that I am the sort of nerd who can identify guitars, loudspeakers, microphones, amplifiers, data projectors, etc. at 30 paces and then bore you to death with details about them didn't occur to me ;) I was obviously trying to hide my real self from you, but now I have outed my nerdness and feel much better for it :)

Red Pablo
18-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Would never label anyone with such a talent as a nerd... although you may need to get out a little more :biggrin:

I've been doing a spot of Googlin' and see that ART are no longer making cans...

Scott1
18-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I think they might be BOS cans.

chris.p
18-06-2012, 05:43 PM
ART has not been trading for about ten years, the guy that used to do all there pipe bending for systems etc was Wayne Jackson, when ART closed he set himself up as J.A.C. in Hucknall near Nottingham.

http://www.jacexhausts.co.uk/index.html

He does all sorts of exhaust work and has done many systems for the Desmo Due racers.

Chris.

Nottsbiker
18-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Art came out of another Nottingham company called MRS. MRS started making cans from components and fabricated parts before splitting to concentrate on paintwork.

Not nerd mode as I worked at MRS for a while in the 90's

Red Pablo
21-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks chaps... probably the most likely is BOS. I'll never know. Sound bloody nice though :thumbsup:

eljaybe
21-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I used to go to MRS... Back when I had an r6.... When I crashed it every other week. If you worked there at that time you'll probably remember it... The only bike to get the frame replaced by insurance, think the guy that did it is called Les.

Nottsbiker
22-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Les Robinson was / is the owner. I was there in 1994/1995 before a break and then going to Dream Machine a year later.

Funnily enough Les had a 900 Monster in red when he lived on a narrow boat near the power station.

utopia
22-06-2012, 01:06 PM
They do look rather like BOS cans, as Scott says.
The separate connector pipe between the headers and the actual cans is just like the pic I have in front of me, from when I was considering them for my bike.
Though the straps would be a later addition (and look as if they give better support to the cans)...the std mounts are like the original Ducati ones.
I also have a performance graph which indicates a small but useful increase in the mid-range, with no effect on top end.

grunter
22-06-2012, 01:14 PM
maybe d and d or bos not art

Blah blah
22-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I had a carbon Art race can on a GSXR600w, sooo fooking loud that my mate could have a cup of tea ready by the time I arrived at his house :chuckle:

But don't know what those cans are, but they don't look like Arts to me

animaluk
22-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I think they are BOS cans with the stickers removed, I suspect they are BOS because i always hated the enlarged bent exits on them (Just always thought they where too long)