PDA

View Full Version : Whats your.....

Zak
18-06-2012, 06:48 AM
So we've all been there, a long arduous journey on the bike, miles and miles of motorway to cover and not much of the twisties to excite and fight off the boredom. You've got a great lid which keeps road noise to a minimum and invest in an iPod and build a playlist to make the miles disappear from beneath you, what's on your ultimate playlist?

Mine:

Maybe tomorrow : stereophonic
Superman: stereophonics
My own worst enemy : stereophonics
Fight music : d12
Tick of the clock: Drive soundtrack (if you haven't seen this movie you must)
Ghosts n stuff : deadmau5
I need : maverick sabre
Cold game : maverick sabre
Paper planes : MIA
Hip hop : dead prez
Show me love : robin s
Carry me away : Chris lake
Ghost : slash
Ghost : jes
Backfired : masters at work
Ugly : bubba sparxxx
Take off : bubba sparxxx
1st whatcha call it: bubba sparxxx
Hitz : chase and status
Let you go : chase and status
Going back to Cali : biggie
Sky's the limit : biggie
Walking on a dream : empire of the sun
We are the people : empire of the sun
Warm sound : zero 7
Somersault : zero 7
Home : zero 7
Kick in the door : biggie

After listening to this and 20 other tracks my journey to see the vulcan xm655 on the 748 in p*ssing rain just became mile after mile of great music and singing in my lid.

Awesome music, fantastic bike, incredible plane. Perfect fathers Day??!!

Z.

Thirdway
18-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Tool lateralus
Tool Aenima
Tool 10,000 days
Incubus - make it yerself
Incubus - morning view
Deftones - white Pony
Machine Head - Burn my Eyes
Slayer - South side of Heaven
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pixies - Doolittle and Surfa Rosa
Meat Puppets - meat Puppets ii
Rival schools - United by Fate

That should do for starters

Capo
18-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Can't understand how people can listen to music and concentrating on riding, i'm sure there are studies that prove it is not a good thing to do. I am attuned to the noise of the engine, it is a necessary input in overall control.

pegboy
18-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Can't understand how people can listen to music and concentrating on riding, i'm sure there are studies that prove it is not a good thing to do. I am attuned to the noise of the engine, it is a necessary input in overall control.

Where's the like button??

Couldn't agree more:thumbsup:

Zak
18-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Where's the like button??

Couldn't agree more:thumbsup:

People can manage it when driving a car! (and drink a coffee, shout at the kids, watch sat nav).

Surely if you have a two hour blat on a motorway, a basic straight line ride to get somewhere you want to be on your bike, then I'm sure music is a far better soundtrack than wind noise.......

Besides, deaf bikers seem to cope without having the ability to attune to the noise of their engine.

He11cat
18-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I am a total music freak.
But I can't listen to it when riding my bikes.
I like to listen to my engine.
been a few times when I have picked up on something is not right by noises.
I do sometimes sing to myself.
I did this on my bike lessons years ago and chatted to the bike.
Except I forgot I was rigged up so the instructor could hear me as well :(

scrapps
18-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I love to listen to music in the car but not on the bike if i get bored i just sing to myself or find a car-cars to have a little rant about.
If i am "making good pace" i need to focus on the road ahead and be able to hear the bike.

Blah blah
18-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Surely the exhausts are music enough?

Mind you I did once travel from Newport in Wales to Stafford on my old 750 with the theme from "Ballamory" going through my head...:fou:

utopia
18-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I can't do music on the bike either (and I always avoid motorways, so that's not an issue).
I did try it once, decades ago, but after one short trip I quickly abandoned the idea.
On that occaision it was Jefferson Airplane, as I recall.

I do mostly have a soundtrack of some sort going on in my head though.
As often as not, when I'm on the bike, its Little Feat....usually "The Last Record Album", which has been my standard shed music for over 30yrs now (the same battered, oily cassette tape).
I also have two of the band's signitures on my seat cowl (most people assume its some racer or other).

Totally different in the car....I nearly always play music there....and use the motorways too.

Blufoot
18-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Gangstarr - Above The Clouds
M.O.P. - Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
Dr Dre - Let Me Ride
The Roots - Adrenaline
Phat Kat - Door
Kool G Rap & Polo - Deathwish
Pharoahe Monch - Agent Orange
Clipse - Gangsta Lean
Artifacts - The Ultimate
MED - Push
Big Boi - Shutterbug
Clipse - When's The Last Time
Mavado - Am So Special
Jay-Z - Kingdom Come
Four Tet ft Guilty Simpson - As Serious As Your Life
Big L - American Dream
Public Enemy - Fight The Power

Although i change the playlist regularly, I come from a music background so my collection is huge and I have trouble singling out 'favourites' as I only bought my favourites anyway.

Riding & Listening doesnt bother me and i can still hear other vehicles and horns/other things i need to hear, i suppose everyones different. Back in the good ol days when i had me monster I used to listen to love ballads while riding to slow me down, but i'm older now and have slowed down naturally.

Nottsbiker
18-06-2012, 06:27 PM
People can manage it when driving a car! (and drink a coffee, shout at the kids, watch sat nav).

Surely if you have a two hour blat on a motorway, a basic straight line ride to get somewhere you want to be on your bike, then I'm sure music is a far better soundtrack than wind noise.......

Besides, deaf bikers seem to cope without having the ability to attune to the noise of their engine.

I'm with you on this one - been listening to music on the bike for years.

Blue tooth headsets are good but the auto reverse Walkman was a revelation in its day ;)

Zak
18-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm with you on this one - been listening to music on the bike for years.

Blue tooth headsets are good but the auto reverse Walkman was a revelation in its day ;)

Auto reverse?!? You are a proper posh boy!!! I didn't even have rewind, just fast forward and play, if I wanted to rewind a song I had to take the tape out, turn it over, fast forward until I thought I was roughly in the right place, take the tape out, turn it round again, press play and hope I was close to the start of the song..... Those were the days!!!

Oh the joy of the home made mix tape!!!

He11cat
18-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I must be really old or out of touch ... Probably both :)

I know the tracks and bands on Thirdways list of course .
But the rest of you guys I'm scratching my head ...

Zak
18-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I dont believe that! You're only 25!!! ;)

gary tompkins
19-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Only soundtrack I need is the V twin rumble

Don't do ipods

the_adam
19-06-2012, 08:58 AM
I do sometimes sing to myself.
I did this on my bike lessons years ago and chatted to the bike.
Except I forgot I was rigged up so the instructor could hear me as well :(

That sounds like something I'd do :chuckle: I found a slug in the kitchen sink not long ago and spent ages trying to persuade it to climb onto a bit of cardboard. In the process phone buttons were accidentally pressed and someone was left with a nice long answerphone message of me talking to it :D

In terms of music on the bike I did wonder about using it as an alternative to earplugs. So I tried the headphones without music and realised they block no sound at all...I figured that in order to have the music loud enough to listen to I'd probably end up damaging my hearing even more :) I'm with Capo on hearing the engine though, I don't even like earplugs on the new bike because it's too quiet to hear at certain speeds (for now...)

LouSCannon
19-06-2012, 10:02 AM
It's not just the engine but everything else you should be listening for... car horns, other road users, sirens etc... let alone thinking 'I love this track' when I should be thinking 'Did that guy just look in his mirror and as such is likely to pull out without signalling' I've tried headphones on the bike and afraid I just don't feel safe enough...

I drive many many miles in the car and yes obviously people listen to music in the car... but in the car I also have a big old metal cage around me and many many airbags, four tyres and four sets of brakes, ABS and generally a bigger road presence meaning people can see me easier!

I don't see it as wrong, I see it as personal choice, and my personal choice is that I want to take every step possible to prevent me being killed.

Nottsbiker
19-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Auto reverse?!? You are a proper posh boy!!! I didn't even have rewind, just fast forward and play, if I wanted to rewind a song I had to take the tape out, turn it over, fast forward until I thought I was roughly in the right place, take the tape out, turn it round again, press play and hope I was close to the start of the song..... Those were the days!!!

Oh the joy of the home made mix tape!!!

Ha ha ha! Went to states on holiday when I was 16 and bought one for pennies not pounds like you'd pay in the UK ;)

JerryT
19-06-2012, 12:35 PM
This is my favourite track list at the mo':

DUCATI - 'Primo' (fuel pump prime) [2sec]
DUCATI - 'Inizio' (start) [2.5 sec]
DUCATI - 'Mandare su di giri' (rev up) [5 sec]
DUCATI - 'Prima marcia' (first gear) [.25 sec]
DUCATI - 'GO! GO! GO!' [2hrs...]

:biggrin:

Thirdway
19-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't ride the bike listening to music I just wanted to do a list.

Being distracted by music is down to sense preference:

If your into colour co ordination and movement then your less likely to be distracted.

The more musical of us have to have our sound systems at the right volume and can't stop listening to conversation on other restaurant tables.

Thirdway
19-06-2012, 10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgkzRE89Gyw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For when you have had a really bad argument with your partner. Enjoy

gary tompkins
20-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Great song by McLusky... weird video

Whoyouknow is another a great 'jump around the room' track too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0J3TT9z-A

Thirdway
20-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Great song by McLusky... weird video

Whoyouknow is another a great 'jump around the room' track too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0J3TT9z-A

Probably a bit more sludgy but have you come across Fudge Tunnel?

Another UK band from Nottingham. A cross between Black Sabbath and the Sex Pistols.