PDA

View Full Version : Two stupid questions about chain links...

neilo
08-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I need to break the chain on my Monster evo, and understand that I'll need a new chain link to put it back together afterwards.

The current chain is a Regina 525 ZRP, in a standard colour (i.e. not gold).

However, I was wondering if the new chain link I bought HAD to be made by Regina as well, or if any other decent heavy duty 525 z-ring chain link would suffice? Any thoughts or reasons why I MUST stick with a Regina chain link?

My second question is where can I find/buy a replacement Regina chain link, in a standard colour? My local bike garage says they're having trouble locating one in a standard colour (i.e. finding a gold one is not a problem, but why would I want one gold link on my standard coloured chain?).

I naively thought that any decent heavy duty 525 z-ring chain (and link) would be the same in primary dimensions...

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Capo
08-06-2012, 09:32 AM
There are subtle differences. Stick with a link from the manufacturer of your chain.

Starter Sprag
08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Having one different coloured link, is very handy

It makes chain tension setting, chain cleaning & lubing much easier

You know at a glance, when you have done a complete revolution

crust
08-06-2012, 06:13 PM
There are subtle differences. Stick with a link from the manufacturer of your chain.

What he said.

neilo
10-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks Capo.

...but what do I do if they don't seem to sell rivet links in the same colour? Although I've seen Starter Sprag's post, I still don't fancy having 1 gold link.

What other options do I have? I can't seem to find a standard coloured rivet link (of the same dimensions as the chain I have on) anywhere...

Do the subtle 0.1mm differences make that much of a difference when the chain is being subject to so much abuse anyway?

utopia
10-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I would expect that chains of the same type by different manufacturers should conform to general, standardised specifications.
However I would say that any subtle differences could well be significant, and the abuse that the chain gets would make them more, not less relevant.
A link from a different manufacturer may well be fine, but its a gamble thats not worth taking for the sake of the colour of one link. The consequences of it failing could wreck engine cases, cause the wheel to lock, etc. etc.
I've never run a coloured chain, nor a super lightweight one, but I'm wondering how the colour is applied...? Assuming that the links are all steel (ie outer plates are not aluminium alloy, ie anodised) then the colour could probably be removed by wire brushing or something.
I'm not sure that I'd bother though.....as has been said, the different coloured link could even be quite handy.

BigOz
10-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi

I initially botched the riveting of the chain I fitted a while ago, the chain was a new to the market DID VX2 520 it seems buying this new to the market chain was a mistake as spares were difficult to find. When I ordered a new rivet link I received DID VX 520 links (this happened twice) I noticed because there was a a noticeable difference mainly to the dimensions of the side plates. I ended up having to call Maxxis the importer and enquire if anyone had purchased VX2 links from them and might have them in stock.

I would err on the side of caution and use the same manufacturer and model of link.

Andy

Capo
10-06-2012, 01:17 PM
I've never run a coloured chain, nor a super lightweight one, but I'm wondering how the colour is applied...? Assuming that the links are all steel (ie outer plates are not aluminium alloy, ie anodised) then the colour could probably be removed by wire brushing or something.
I'm not sure that I'd bother though.....as has been said, the different coloured link could even be quite handy.

Some kind of plating, it does oxidise in the same manner as an unplated chain albeit to a lesser extent.

neilo
13-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks all for your answers - I appreciate it.

So, I've resolved myself to sticking with a Regina 525 ZRP chain link, albeit in gold.

Now, given that this rivet link is a solid rivet link (as opposed to an open-ended rivet, for which one could use a flaring pin to rivet), does anybody know how best to rivet the ends? Punch and chisel set? Hammer with a pointy end? Most chain tools seem to come with flaring pins... Any thoughts? I just don't want to cock it up... :-D

utopia
13-06-2012, 11:44 AM
You could always colour it black with a permanent marker....?

Surprisingly, I've not got much experience with rivet links (having never had more than about 85bhp, I've used spring links), but I would say that the security of having used some sort of specially designed rivetting tool would be well worth it.
However, in the absence of that, I'd suggest a hammer and punches.....possibly a centrepunch first to swell the end of the pins, followed by a flat or (preferably) hollow/dished ended punch to peen over the ends. All done on a heavy metal base to support the back of the link.
But I'm sure that others will have more practical experience/advice to offer. I merely speak from general engineering experience.

Nottsbiker
13-06-2012, 12:06 PM
You can peen it over with a hammer and punch but you will find it tricky to support it fully on the other side whilst hitting it - not impossible just awkward.

Starter Sprag
13-06-2012, 06:38 PM
To do it correctly, you'll need a Regina rivetting tool, this is different from a AFAM/DID tool

It comes with the correct 'insert' for 'staking' the pin ends

Capo
13-06-2012, 06:49 PM
To do it correctly, you'll need a Regina rivetting tool, this is different from a AFAM/DID tool

It comes with the correct 'insert' for 'staking' the pin ends

And it is very expensive

Phatty
13-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I've got a riveting tool. Not sure what the differences are but did my DID ok.

You're welcome to borrow it.

neilo
14-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Yes I'd heard that Regina chains needed a special tool for riveting purposes. So this gets even better... No proper spares, expensive special tools to do the job... Sounds like I'd be better of just replacing the entire chain with a DID one instead! What a palaver...

Thanks Phatty...I've got two riveting tools myself, but I'm worried that they won't do the job properly on the Regina link.

Starter Sprag
14-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Ducati ownership is sometimes 'testing' ........... but rewarding !

neilo
14-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Ducati ownership is sometimes 'testing' ........... but rewarding !

I agree :-D