PDA

View Full Version : Acid burns on frame

Gil1696
05-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Has anybody any ideas or suggestions to cover up a battery acid burn on my frame. I forgot to reconnect the battery overflow pipe. It's caused some black burn stains on the frame. Have tried to find a paint to match the ducati frame colour without success.
Any pointers greatly appreciated.
Gil

CK & AK
05-12-2003, 09:01 PM
Douse it down & rub down to the bare metal to get rid of the corrosion.
Then treat with an anti-rust coating (gelatine or Finnegans No 1 etc). Then repaint it. Make sure all surfaces are clean & dry before painting.

If you repaint over the top without doing the above, the paint will come off again.

For a temporary measure - wipe off all loose paintwork & smear with vaseline, till you have to re-paint.

Pse do something very quickly - as it will rust before your eyes.

Ref the colour - contact any good Ducati agent - and they will be able to tell you the colour match - or LeMarsu(????) had a post on this site last year about colour matching

Hope this is of help.

Alan

Gil1696
06-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Cheers Al, will give it a try.
I've been in touch with an ex Duc dealer in maidstone Kent.They said the frame is anodised and will be difficult to colour match. They said the earest I'll get to it is by Spectrophotometric (Ugh!!) match.
Will try a current dealership.
Gil

gary tompkins
06-12-2003, 10:12 AM
That dealer is talking toss, the frames steel and you only use anodising on Aluminium. I found a good match for the gold paint on the frame of my early (95) 600, it was Vauxhall champaign gold metallic, which although not a spot on match was pretty close.

Gil1696
06-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Don't they just try to fob ya with any old cack!!
Didn't realise about Ali and anodising.
Vaux Champaign gold eh! I'll give it a whirl.
Thanks for your help Gaz.
Gil