PDA

View Full Version : Old style monster rear subframe wanted.

utopia
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM
For some time now I have been messing around with a prototype qd luggage rack for older style monsters, with a view to possibly doing a small production run.
There seems to be nothing on the market (even ventura) thats neat and practical without requiring messy brackets to be left on the bike.
As some of you will have spotted, I've been running around with a mk1 version in 22mm copper plumbing pipe for the last year or so.
The design has now progressed to the point where I think that a final version, in 22mm aluminium alloy is looking like it could well be a goer.
I will need to entrust the welding to someone with the kit and experience that I lack, and I'm thinking that some sort of jig will be required to ensure consistent results.
To this end, I'm looking for a rear subframe from an older (curvy tea-tray type) monster, or maybe a complete damaged frame with a reasonably straight rear end.
er......I'm also on a fairly tight budget......a freebie would be nice, but a smallish sum could change hands maybe.
Anyone got such a thing lying around looking for a purpose in life....?

Nottsbiker
05-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I've got a whole frame you can have.

Collect from mine and ill have free rack when made.

Dookbob
05-06-2012, 07:09 PM
That sounds like an offer you can't refuse Utopia, and you gotta give Nottsbiker full marks for his confidence in your potential product. I think you will be onto a winner, I once bought a rack for an M600, it was rubbish, I modified it half a dozen times, and it was still rubbish. It ended up in a skip.

utopia
06-06-2012, 02:06 AM
I've got a whole frame you can have.
Collect from mine and ill have free rack when made.

It does seem like an offer I can't refuse.
The only reason I might hesitate, is that it would probably be most convenient to make a jig using just the subframe (so that it can be turned around for access during welding), but I would be loathe to cut a perfectly good frame.
Indeed, I would not cut your frame. (unless you encouraged it, but even then I'd whince)
The only bit I actually need is the two rear frame rails, still rigidly connected to each other in a couple of points, and with the grabrails intact....plus maybe a bit extra to connect to some sort of base.
However with the one proviso that someone may show up with a cut rear subframe, or a useable damaged frame......
(and actually, that only occurred to me after I'd already written the next bit).....

Ok, ....you're on.....(says he, baulking only slightly over the as yet unknown cost of materials and welding...;)).
......as long as the frame hasn't had a tail chop, cos the rear mounts of the rack use the ends of the frame rails.
And to keep things simple for now, it really needs to be the same as my frame, which has the curvy type tea-tray. I dunno whether there are differences between it and the flat tray type (or indeed any other significant subframe differences between certain models), and it should be relatively easy to make a fixing bracket to suit those frames too, if that's needed, but it would be an unnecessary complication at this stage.
You could be my independant, impartial, in the field, test facility.......:)
Mind you...your bike's tail would have to be unchopped too (again, some sort of adaptor pieces are a possibility, but might be an unnecessary complication).
I'll probably make one initially, and if all seems well at that stage, then you can have the second and give it some welly, before I do a batch....if it gets that far....but I'm quite hopeful.
Though you'd have to put up with one that wasn't nicely anodised.
It may even be made out of the ally tube that I salvaged (from a zimmer frame, as it happens), but I suspect I might only have enough of that for the first one, which has to be mine cos I knew the zimmer's former owner.
I'd give it a bit of a polish, naturally.

Sorry that's all a bit rambly....I'm thinking out loud to some extent....adding extra bits in as they occur......and replying sooner rather than later.
Thanks very much for the offer.
Actually, it would be great to have the chance of someone to do a rigorous independant test, before I actually sold one to someone.

Hope you can get the general drift of all that.
I thought it would be rude to delay my reply

If its not in your way for a while, I'm not in a desperate hurry, and my car is currently off the road, but I can probably blag the van for an hour or so while my mate's band are doing a nottingham gig, which they do every few months. There might be one coming up in the not too distant......I'd need to ask.
You might even fancy the gig....google Dawson Smith and the Dissenters....
Otherwise, I could arrange something else sooner.

gary tompkins
06-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Bolt fixing for tea tray and rear of frame do change after about 1999. This was when the rounded teatray with built in indicators was introduced. If you compare bikes side by side you'll see what I mean.

pegboy
06-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I am sure i saw a monster somewhere that was damaged, front end of the frame was damaged and the frame twisted, not sure about the back end, as i thought there really wasn't much to the bike for salvage. It had been siting in a driveway for years, i think it was ebay, i'll check and let you know if I find it. Whta about calling around to some Ducati Dealers/mechanics they just might have one going to the scrap heap??

gary tompkins
06-06-2012, 10:59 AM
The written off frames usually have headstock cut off

You may pick up one from a breakers for free and it would still make a good jig

pegboy
06-06-2012, 11:20 AM
just looked through my ebay history can not find it, will keep an eye out

Nottsbiker
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM
You can have my spare frame to do with as you please because I won't be needing it our wanting to put it on the road.

Will you need the v4 as well as I'm just sending them both off to the dvla do there will be a delay if several Weeks.

I'll need a few days notice as its at my friends house on the wrong side of the city at mo.

utopia
06-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Well, I guess I might as well have the v4, if there's no problem or cost attached...you never know what future projects it might be suitable for.....but I don't really need it so its not really a problem either way.
And I'm not in a desperate hurry for it.....I've got to machine up some modified fixing brackets before I can get down to the first proper assembly....realistically, I'm probably not going to get that done for a couple of weeks at least. Until then I won't need the jig.
Thanks again......:thumbsup:

I was aware that the tea-tray fixings had changed, but I was rather hoping that the subframe main rails had not.....maybe that's not the case though.
Thanks Gary....I'll have to take a closer look.....should've taken the opportunity at the weekender really.
Though if the rack is to fit all (or at least most) old style monsters, then I will have to take that into account somehow.....and it shouldn't be that hard with the design that I have so far.

I guess that in the case of a damaged frame that has had the headstock cut off to avoid it being used again, its a case of getting in there in the small window between cutting and chucking it in the skip, which might be tricky....but worth a try.
Failing that, I guess I could hang around at DD meetings, morbidly hoping for a non-injury but frame wrecking crash....but that seems a little weird....and the subframe is likely to get bent anyway.

Thanks for all the replies.

Nottsbiker
06-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Pm me when you want to come and collect but please gives me plenty of notice as I'm busty at mo with a wedding to go to this weekend.

utopia
07-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Well, I've just confirmed that there is a gig coming up (and I can use the van, probably from about 8.00pm once they've unloaded).
Its a saturday though, so may not be convenient.
June 23, The Lion, New Basford, NG77FQ.
Is that any good....?

I thought I might as well post it on here rather than pm, in case anyone else local fancied coming along.
They're worth seeing, if you like barroom blues with a tinge of americana.
And its free entry.

Nottsbiker
07-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Lol the frame is in Bulwell which is closer to your gig than my house in Chilwell but I have to bring home so its easily accessible.

I can get the frame easily but its worth reminding me a few days before setting out to ensure its here.