PDA

View Full Version : Hello all from happy first time Monster owner

tim1100
05-06-2012, 09:27 AM
I just want to say hello after having my first ride on my (nearly) new M1100 Evo. What a fantastic bike!!! I've got one with only 68 miles on the clock in Corse colours with stainless termignonis and I can't stop popping up to the garage just to have a look at it-how sad is that? Had a street triple before and I have to say, the looks, the engine and the sound just don't compare.

This looks a great forum and I already need some advice after one ride:confused:-I've noticed the brake fluid reservoir cap is leaking fluid via the breather grooves in the cap causing fluid to blow over my right arm. I notice it really vibrates when riding and I think it is just flicking fluid past the inner diaphragm causing seepage. Any one else had this problem?

Best wishes

Tim

Pomp1
05-06-2012, 09:36 AM
From what I've seen the diaphragm on the brake side is quite a complicated design, with lots of "wrinkles". It may well be the case that a) it's been overfilled b) has not been tightened enough. Was it a dealer or private buy?

johnboy44
05-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Be very careful if you have brake fluid leaking even a small amount on most painted surfaces it will make a right mess ( sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs)
Welcome to the site, its full of very helpful advice and friendly people, enjoy your monster

tim1100
05-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. Bought from Riders in cardiff. Yes, it was on the maximum and I have taken some fluid out to keep it mid point between min and max. Took it for another ride and more seeped out but less than before. I am worried about the paintwork if this continues.
How tight should the cap be screwed down?

Rally
05-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Don't do it too tight or it can deform the rubber seal and cause the leak. Try smearing a small amount of grease on the seal before tightening it up. Just nip it up with a small degree of effort.
Welcome to the forum as well!

utopia
05-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Hello, welcome, and glad you're enjoying monster ownership.
I haven't tried one yet myself, but the 1100 evo would appear to be an absolute peach, and is the only new model that I would be tempted to replace my 750 with (but thats not going to happen...its a keeper).
The year they first appeared, I must have returned to the ducati stand at the nec show 7 or 8 times, to sit on the evo and grin uncontrolably.

I'm not sure what the master cylinders are like on your bike, but if the cap is round and threaded then I guess there's a chance that the diaphragm is wrinkling up as the cap is tightened, so possibly overtightening could be a cause....?
This wouldn't apply if its fitted with small screws, like the coffin types on my bike, in which case I'm wondering whether someone has fitted poorly made aftermarket caps, which aren't up to the job.
Either way, my main suggestion is to fit one of those elasticated furry things that race bikes sometimes use to mop up any seepage, until you get to the bottom of the issue.

.......like Rally says re overtightening (though don't contaminate the fluid with any grease you might use on the diaphragm...I would have thought brake fluid might do the job, or else a grease specified for such use).
........hadn't seen his post.

tim1100
05-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks all for the advice. The cap is not threaded-tightens down with 2 long screws. The fluid is seeping up through grooves in the inside of the cap rim, which I presume is the breather system.I've taken a bit more fluid out, (tightened up screws fairly tight though before I saw your advice) and I'll see what happens.
I'll post some pics of the bike as as I can work out how to upload them.

Thanks again.

Tim

gary tompkins
05-06-2012, 02:28 PM
As has already been mentioned fluid will damage or strip paintwork. Make sure you clean the reservoir off with soapy water, otherwise any seepage will blow back onto tank as you ride. I had this happen from a small split in the pipe to master cylinder on the trike.

Albie
05-06-2012, 07:23 PM
I would possibly return to Ducati and get either rubber seal or lid replaced. I removed mine for some nicer Rizomas's but even they can leak. The problem is also partly due to the inferior brackets wobbling away. I doubt even the carbon fibre ones would be better. Rizoma do make some better sturdier ones nut around £30 each. I still need them myself.

Oh welcome to the club from an early 1100S owner. EVO is a very nice bike in my opinion.

tim1100
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Yes that bracket is overly flexible to put on vibey twin. I'll see what the dealer has to say and will also look at the Rizoma offerings. It did spoil my first ride having to reach into my pocket for a rag every couple of minutes to mop up!

simontt
06-06-2012, 06:42 AM
This looks a great forum and I already need some advice after one ride:confused:-I've noticed the brake fluid reservoir cap is leaking fluid via the breather grooves in the cap causing fluid to blow over my right arm. I notice it really vibrates when riding and I think it is just flicking fluid past the inner diaphragm causing seepage. Any one else had this problem?

Best wishes

Tim

Welcome from another newbie. I also notice that the front brake fluid reservoir (the bigger one) vibrate a lot more than the rear one when riding, but mine did not leak forunately.

If you have not done the rear wheel and rear brake pad recall, it's good to have the dealer to sort out at the same time.

J.P
06-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the club. Apart from your annoying leak I hope you'll love the rest of the bike.

Plenty of advice aroud if you need it, want it, especially with regard to post purchase modifications !

A couple of us have fitted 14 tooth front sprokets to the bikes to replace the 15 tooth ones. Easily done and does, as with all the Monsters I've owned, make slower speed riding less chug, chug, more smooth, smooth. Just an idea if you're used to the 3 cylinder triumph.

I'm also the only 1100 Evo Monster owner I know who has had the engine ECU fully remapped and it's a wonderful runner now.

Enjoy. And why not get a Monster Mug (below)

neilo
06-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Hello and welcome from another monster evo owner. Not experienced the leak you've mentioned, but can only think that it's to do with the rubber seal and/or the two bolts being tightened too much. Hope you get it sorted.

tim1100
06-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks again for the welcomes and advice. I have been thinking about the 14T sprocket and I see that Ducati sell one as an accessory for the Monster. I'll consider having one put on at first service.
Just for info, the stainless Termignonis do have removable baffles, even though the Ducati website does not advertise this. I took them out and it was seriously loud, so their back in for now, as I was getting bad bad looks from the locals!!

J.P
06-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Well, at least they'll lhear you coming ?

Anyway, "What colour is the boathouse in Hereford ?" :)

tim1100
06-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey JP, if I told you, I would have to kill you.