PDA

View Full Version : Crashed Monster

Thibaud
05-12-2003, 12:22 PM
As the majority of you are aware, my Monster is off the mean streets of Chiswick due to a close encounter with a drunken reveller one fateful October night...

Anyway, I am no closer to seeing my money back and as a result I am trying to assess how much it will cost me to get it back on the road. Below is a transcript of the frankly scary repair estimate from those nice (ahem) folks at DLS.

I've put it there so the more technically knowledgeable amongst us can help me find out what is needed and what can be done a latter date. I just want to know the minimum needed to get it back on the road.

I also got it running last weekend after swapping the damaged titanium Arrows with the original cans and the bike seemed unusually noisy and the throttle response is decidedly rubbish. Any ideas why on looking at the estimate.

Here goes...

Anthracite Tank: £763.46 (not needed)
Tank Gasket Large: £4.14 (not needed)
Windshield: £42.65 (not needed)
Anthracite Front Fairing: £65.55 (not needed)
RH Mirror: £28.43 (not needed)
LH Mirror: £28.43 (not needed)
Grey seat cover: £75.90 (not needed)
Steering Damper: £378.50 (not needed)
Round Titanium Exhausts: £365.70 (not needed)

The tank is dented were the bars hit it but I can live with that. I can also live w/out the fairing, the seat cover is fine apart from a small red mark where it must have touched some road markings, the steering damper is hardly necessary (certainly at THIS price!) and as I said I have put the original exhausts on.

Now to the bit I need to change:

Clutch and Brake lever
Handlebars
Throttle Control
Clutch Control (already ordered and paid for)
Headlights (guide lamp)
Headlights holder
Headlights RH & LH Brackets
Instrument Panel Frame and Instrument Panel
Pressure Sensor (at £82.07, what is it?) 55240311A
Blinkers (RH rear and both front, although I will be checking them tomorrow)

With nuts, labour and sundries the minimum looks like £1188.26 and if I was to get it all done a staggering £3261.58.

So:

• I want to try to do the handlebar myself. So I was thinking of ordering some Renthal handlebars, will they fit? How do you get the throttle/clutch assemblies and how do you get them back on?

• Sorting out the headlamp doesn't look like too much of a hard job. Might go for a bug-eyed look as I won't be using the fairing. Any suggestions?

• Instrument Panel: Could I do that myself?

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks if you read it all up to here....

fatbloke
05-12-2003, 12:53 PM
A lot of the stuff you need is in Spareshack and as he is in Uxbridge (not far from Chiswick) give him a call 01895 439916 he will even give you discount!! most of the work doesn't seem to difficult,
Stuart has a bloke who repairs and repaints tanks at a very reasnable cost you never know it might be worth doing after all.
Good Luck

superlight3
05-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Off the top of my head..

I've got some second hand stuff here, some mint, some sad, that will at least get you up and running again.

Snd me a PM or contact me directly off me website.

Cheers.

Lee.

Thibaud
05-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Lee. Will do. Terry. Thanks, will call. had trouble finding someone to fix the dent before so if someone coul do it that would be cool.

Not planning to do anything before January so will start then (££££!!!!).

Any idea if a 22mm Renthal will fit controls?

Thibaud
05-12-2003, 01:30 PM
And what's a pressure sensor?

nik_the_brief
05-12-2003, 01:35 PM
Could it be for your oil pressure warning light? Just a guess!

Thibaud
05-12-2003, 02:01 PM
At £82.07? Must be an important thing...

The reason I am asking is that if I need to put it all together I should know what it is and where it goes?

nik_the_brief
05-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Why not give DLS a ring and ask 'em?

fatbloke
05-12-2003, 02:08 PM
drop a pm to Lee (superlight3) if he doesn't know where it goes and what it does I'll eat my hat.
superlight3 (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=744)

Thibaud
05-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks Terry, just done that.

superlight3
05-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Terry, yer hat's in tact! ;)

The sensor is your air temperature sensor that sits beneath the headlight/handlebar assembly.

Your rough running might very well be caused by this sensor 'going-down' so to speak. :( as it's a very important part of the injection set-up.

Thanks for your e-mail Thibaud, I'll look into all the issues at the weekend and let you know shortly.

Cheers.

Lee.

fatbloke
05-12-2003, 03:08 PM
thats a relief, Arai's are bloody hard to swallow!

superlight3
05-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Oooooooooooo tell me about it dahling......

At least they taste better than a Shark..! :lol:

Lee.