PDA

View Full Version : transmission shunt

DavidEJM
02-06-2012, 02:10 PM
It may be because I've not been doing enough miles recently, but when I ride I seem to be noticing a lot of transmission shunt when rolling back on the power. I know the Monster is a bit like this anyway but I wondered if there is anything in the primary drive/gearbox/clutch that i should check?

I've already done the obvious and check the chain and sprockets.

Its not a major problem and easy enough to drive around using the clutch but I know you guys will let me know if there is anything I need o be checking into.

Thanks all!

Pedro
02-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Have you checked the Cush drive rubber bushes?

DavidEJM
04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks Pedro. I had a look at them today and they seem to be OK (bike only got 8k on it).

I suspect there is nothing wrong really, though when up on the paddock stand and in gear there did seem to be a lot of play at the front sprocket, equivalent to one tooth.

If that is normal then nothing to worry about, it just seems to create quite a clunk when backing off the throttle and then getting back on the power again (though I think only at slower speeds), no matter how smooth I try to be. Consequences are that around town I'm constantly pulling the clutch and feeding it back out.

As I say, it is probably just that I'm not riding it enough (the 8200 miles will attest to that)! Too many other distractions and things to do! Must try to get to a meet up somewhere through the summer months!

utopia
05-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Just a thought, but when you checked the chain, did you find that it had a pronounced tight spot ?
If so, then setting the (minimum) slack at this point could still mean that the maximum slack could be a lot more, causing the issue you describe.
Sorry if that's obvious, but I thought it worth a mention.