PDA

View Full Version : MOT Time

boris
22-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Well here we go again, off for my MOT in about half an hour Other than something obscure, I'm sure it'll all be fine. But why does it always feel as if your about to undergo root-canal treatment, or having that ingrowing nail dug out :on:

buzzbomb
22-05-2012, 08:57 AM
You're not on your own today Boris, I'm just about to make a call to get the hyper booked in for it's MOT, checked yesterday and it ran out on 25th march...:dunce:

Who's a naughty boy then...:twak:

LouSCannon
22-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Not as bad as me Geoff, when I went to renew my tax in April realised my MOT expired back in mid 2011! I'm just not used to taking things to get MOT'd!

buzzbomb
22-05-2012, 09:20 AM
That's it Jim, I'm not used to getting MOT's done...:banghead:

I'll just have to start selling stuff instead of buying more...:idea:

don_matese
22-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I just had mine to the MOT station, its now road legal again although did initially fail on headlight beam pattern, judicious application of black electrical tape sorted it though!

gary tompkins
22-05-2012, 11:52 AM
No problems here - just need to be friendly with the right MOT stations ;)

utopia
22-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Mine's due too.
Wonder whether I'll get another advisory for my snatchy discs ? .....that'll be 4yrs running, I reckon.
They're fine, btw .....true, smooth and clean of bobbin, just a tad grabby at really slow speeds.

buzzbomb
22-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Back from the MOT station

Hyper sailed through

Done and Dusted for another 12 months.

boris
22-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Well, must say that the 'New Style' Certificate is a bit naff? Don't care though as it's a pass! Spent the rest of the morning putting the Duc back to 'Normal,' had a bit of lunch, then had a good ride out and about the Highlands in glorious weather. A rarety to be savoured, and just what I needed to scrub in my new tyres :thumbsup:

Nottsbiker
22-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes it is, I thought it was a photocopy when I got mine.

No need to swap stuff about on my bike as my duke will go to a garage that races classic ducatis ;)

gary tompkins
22-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Well, must say that the 'New Style' Certificate is a bit naff? Don't care though as it's a pass! Spent the rest of the morning putting the Duc back to 'Normal,' had a bit of lunch, then had a good ride out and about the Highlands in glorious weather. A rarety to be savoured, and just what I needed to scrub in my new tyres :thumbsup:

They have been using that style of certificate for several years now

and yes it is very naff

don_matese
23-05-2012, 05:43 AM
The new style this year is just white A4 paper. last years was at least semi professional looking....

Nickj
23-05-2012, 08:11 PM
My local MOT guy was a bit pee'd off about having to supply their own paper, otherwise the MOT isn't usually a hassle and I get to help!

utopia
28-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I've just got back with my new mot certificate.
I did get yet another advisory on the grabby front discs.
I was also embarrased to be told that the rear pads were almost down to the metal. In fact the dreaded metal on metal graunchy noise was just faintly noticeable.
It was all smooth and quiet just a few miles ago though, so hopefully no damage done.
The bike's only done 11000m or so, and I hadn't expected the rear pads to be worn yet. Its not like I'm a heavy braker or anything, and the brake has never been dragging, as far as I've been aware, and I do check that regularly, but I hadn't even bothered to check the rear pads.
The front pads still have loads of meat on them, and they're the originals too.
Anyway, the mot guy is a mate and so I was sold a new pair of pads with the mot, and entrusted with their immediate fitment.
I rode home tentatively, trying to remember not to touch the back brake.....with maybe 90% success.
Just got back in time too....its raining stair-rods here now, with huge claps of thunder that sound like the sky's being ripped apart, and almost continuous lightning.
The rain has just turned to cannonball hail as I write this, and the whole city seems to have flooded in just 5 or 10 mins.
So that was good timing then......:eyepopping:

Phatty
28-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I've never ever worried come MOT time with the bike, and I've never had a fail yet.

If you're riding a bike that isn't regularly checked and mainted you're a bit of a numpty to say the least!

Yorkie
30-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Mine passed this morning, just a little advisory about noise from the exhausts ....... although I didn't hear anything.

They did have to replace the front wheel bearings, they were a little knackered!!

All is well and tomorrow I relocate the beast to Andover.

Yorkie

Blah blah
30-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I've never ever worried come MOT time with the bike, and I've never had a fail yet.

If you're riding a bike that isn't regularly checked and mainted you're a bit of a numpty to say the least!

One time, my old 750 was fine when I left my garage, 5 miles later at the MoT station the front brake light switch had stopped working and it failed on that. Does that make me a numpty?

And I still get horribly nervous every time...

Phatty
30-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Funnily enough, my front brake switch has been a bit temperamental lately. MOT due in a couple of weeks...

Yorkie
30-06-2012, 07:52 PM
And I still get horribly nervous every time...

I always try and get to know my MOT bloke, I travelled 250miles to get mine done! Until I find an understanding tester in Hampshire I will continue the yearly long ride out!

Never nervous, just hopeful.

Yorkie