PDA

View Full Version : Tyres....yes......tyres

Char
16-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Oh my one for Gary but seriously

My (everso slightly naughty bike) has 180/60-17's

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa III - (or some other such stupid name)

great - listed but no prices - but quoted £200.00 if you can get maybe?

Aggghhhh - anyone want to buy a body part?

What a load of tosh

The tyre’s construction and profile provide maximum agility and control, providing better support under full lean of the motorcycle. The matching 120/70ZR17 front tyre utilizes Pirelli’s patented 0° steel belt that provides maximum support during extreme braking and corner entry. The new 180/60ZR17 rear was born from Ducati’s need to have a tyre that could offer superior grip without the use of too soft compounds. It’s made with compounds in three different areas: a softer area on the shoulders (25% on each side) for maximum performance in more active riding on extreme curves and a tougher middle section to extend the useful life of the tyre.

The 180/60ZR17 rear tyre is characterized by the same width/height ratio used in national and world Supersport competitions and offers increased surface contact compared to the 180/55, ​​even more effective with its “slick” area at maximum angle. Compared to the 180/55, the tyre is approximately 8 mm wider (186 against 178) while the diameter increases by about 18 mm (630 against 648). This slightly increased height and width of the profile also increases the comfort for the rider, while the increased contact area distributes the stresses transmitted from the road surface more evenly, reducing wear of both types of compounds at the rear. The transverse grooves between the central and lateral shoulder areas of the rear tyre quickly disperse any remaining water, providing excellent grip in the wet, while the smooth center tread provides the maximum amount of rubber to the ground as possible, increasing traction during acceleration and guaranteeing straight-line stability.

utopia
16-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Hmmm....so max lean on a wet road, possibly as an emergency reaction, put you on "its slick area".
Horses for courses.
Its PR3s, for me.

Capo
16-05-2012, 06:43 PM
I have heard that this is the only tire approved by Ducati

uksurfer
16-05-2012, 06:50 PM
metzeler racetec?

Char
16-05-2012, 06:56 PM
no cheaper and I like what's on there

just gotta find one

Grumpy
16-05-2012, 06:56 PM

In various discussions I have had with Tyre manufacturers, they have indicated that the tyre recommended within their fitment list, is tested by the tyre manufacturer for suitablity, not the Motorcycle manufacturer.
I would consider that the reason Ducati recommend Pirelli is the link to WSB and they are an Italian Co.
Consider how many of us use Shell oil which is also the only oil recommended by Ducati.

gary tompkins
16-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Fit some knobblies

Inflate to 5psi front and back

Sorted

Wasta
17-05-2012, 03:07 AM
I'm going to put a pair of Dulop Roadsmarts on next, I have the Sportsmarts on the R1 and think they're the best tyre I've ever used, bags of grip in the cold and wet. They last well and give the impression that your trouser bulge is real!

Char
17-05-2012, 06:31 AM
point being Michelin Maxxi Dunlop etc dont make that size

Metz like Martin said do and Pirelli when you can get hold of some..

Need to take one to WDW - after Alun's experience with buying tyres on the continent not worth the risk - if not I'll take one of my old 55's to get me out of a situation should one arise!

Char
17-05-2012, 06:45 AM
found some online for £155 - sorted :look: free next day delivery to

buzzbomb
17-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Blimey Char you are being cautious...:rolleyes:

Char
17-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Blimey Char you are being cautious...:rolleyes:

Tyre - check
Allen keys - check
Flip flops - check
Sun lotion - check
Swimsuit - check
Euros & passport - check

Jobs a good un :woot:

gary tompkins
17-05-2012, 07:58 AM
If the Euro keeps dropping in value you should get more beers to the pound too :)

Dookbob
17-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Well they would say that, wouldn't,t they

Rally
17-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Char, if yours has enough tread to get you there, chuck the new one in the van and we will change it when needed too. You may get more life from it? I dont know how bad it is at present?

Grumpy
17-05-2012, 07:07 PM
If the Euro keeps dropping in value you should get more beers to the pound too :)

I'm leaving buying any euros to the last minute, hopefully I will be able to buy loads of beers!:)

Char
17-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Char, if yours has enough tread to get you there, chuck the new one in the van and we will change it when needed too. You may get more life from it? I dont know how bad it is at present?

that was my plan exactly take the new one with me in case i need it!

Rally
17-05-2012, 07:46 PM
that was my plan exactly take the new one with me in case i need it!

That's okay then. Sounds like a plan. If someone has a front as well as a spare, we can take that as well?

Char
17-05-2012, 08:00 PM
That's okay then. Sounds like a plan. If someone has a front as well as a spare, we can take that as well?

yeah i have an ok front that would do in an emergency

Char
21-05-2012, 07:32 PM
well when I said I'd found some - they are 'making' some - maybe ready in July

as useful as a barbers shop on the steps of a guillotine.

uksurfer
21-05-2012, 07:54 PM
so, if you had a ruined back tyre now you wouldnt be able to buy one?

Char
21-05-2012, 08:07 PM
so, if you had a ruined back tyre now you wouldnt be able to buy one?

Correct but I could nick one off a new bike in a showroom :running:

gary tompkins
22-05-2012, 12:10 PM
So let me get this right...

Ducati are selling the 848 Streetfighter (a very popular model) with a specific tyre size only made by Pirelli, and you can't buy replacements in the UK due to lack of availability?

What a crock of sh#t :thumbsdown:

Char
22-05-2012, 12:20 PM
So let me get this right...

Ducati are selling the 848 Streetfighter (a very popular model) with a specific tyre size only made by Pirelli, and you can't buy replacements in the UK due to lack of availability?

What a crock of sh#t :thumbsdown:

Yup exactly - although a 180/55 would fit but the tyre/bike were designed 'specially -

they had the same issue with the Dribble's rear tyre - guess they didnt learn from their error

I mean - why only make for the bikes off the production line ffs

They sell you all the marketing sh*t then probably agree that the only difference is about 3mm and a tad turn in time

gary tompkins
22-05-2012, 11:42 PM
So they pretty much admitted it's all a load of bollox and the 180/55 would work ok?

I can see a lot of angry S/F pilots beating a path to Ducati's dealers in a few thousand miles.

What tyre does the factory fit to the bigger fighter?