PDA

View Full Version : the_adam, the_bike and the_RAC

the_adam
10-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Hi all, hope you've had a good weekender :) Sorry I couldn't make it in the end, the bike managed to stop working 3 times in as many days so in a sense it's probably a good thing I didn't end up down there...

Latest news is that it was brought home on the back of a truck on tuesday night and (quite unusually) couldn't be persuaded to start since. Given the number of times that I've had to miss work because of random problems over the last couple of years I've come to the conclusion that I just need a "more reliable" bike, for getting to work on at least. So I'm going to be looking at a zx6r this weekend. Can't really afford it but I've been saving up for a house deposit so will just have to dip into that, I figure that if I can go for a fairly new one it's likely to save a lot on the future maintenance costs anyway...

The plan for the moment is to eventually get the monster working and keep it as the fun/project bike. Never saw myself as being a 2-bike person but I don't want to get rid of it :D The parents really want me to part exchange it but even if I liked the idea I can't see anyone wanting to take it :chuckle:

Saint aka ML
10-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Tell your parents they are mad then ask if they would part exchange you for a Japanese model. Just be warned might get a shock there :D

the_adam
10-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Would this be the Japanese version of an Adam or an actual model? Could be an important consideration :D

Saint aka ML
10-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Honestly man if you are going to get a Kwak you described be prepared to be disappointed. It was to be my first bike after passing test but soon heart took over head and m750 was purchased. Funny how man thing with heart, **** and only after those two brain?!

Your symptoms do suggest electrical issue just it can be loom, ecu or injectors. When you are ready strip half of it down so you can remove all the electrical bits and then send them for testing, loom last as ECU and injectors will be an easy remove item in comparison.

the_adam
11-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks :) In the end we discovered that shaking the tank (or turning the bike around if it was on a hill) would often be enough to get things going again so I'm partly suspecting a blockage, although it could still suggest a loose connection too. Of course that trick doesn't work anymore!

I'm not expecting it to be the most exciting thing, was going for more the reliability with a bit more wind protection - but still something I wouldn't mind being seen on :chuckle: And of course with another bike I'd have as much time as I need to get things sorted out properly. Unfortunately there's been a lot of unrelated things going wrong with this bike in the past... the stereotypical ducati I guess :) And there's only so much working from home I can do before it'll start to upset people...

rac3r
11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Which model ZX6R is it? They are good fun but pretty different to the Monster. I liked mine! On a Street Triple now which is pretty cool

Saint aka ML
11-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Adam check if there is another owner of monster with fuel pump around your neck of woods and lend his tank.

Nickj
11-05-2012, 06:18 PM
As a parent myself I'd go for the swap

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Ducati_1098R_MotoGP_Livery_2.jpg

the_adam
11-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Which model ZX6R is it? They are good fun but pretty different to the Monster. I liked mine! On a Street Triple now which is pretty cool

It's the new shape, r9f I think? (59 plate). Only 1700 miles on it and it's the cheapest one I've seen so far (still not what I'd call cheap though :worried:) so I'm going to need to give it a good check first, first MOT must be just about due on it...I literally spotted it as they were putting it on autotrader last night, hoping it's just that I've got to a good deal in time. They've kindly reserved it for me so I guess I'll find out tomorrow :) Admittedly it's half green but I think I can live with that...

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=2031633289

I've just been checking what it'll do to the insurance, with interesting results... I'm with ebike so I can just mess about with the policy online. If I was to replace the Monster wiith it (so only have one bike) the year's premium goes up to £2400. However if I add it as a 2nd bike it ends up less than £1100 (for the record, that's not all that much of an increase when you're Adam-aged)... so it seems that I actually save money by keeping the Monster :D

Now which one should I go for? :scratch:

the_adam
11-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Adam check if there is another owner of monster with fuel pump around your neck of woods and lend his tank.

Ducati John had been trying to sort it out before, I'm sure he'll have one lying around :thumbsup:

rac3r
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Awesome! that's my favourite shape. Have you thought about a newer Monster at that kind of price? or Street Trip :D

the_adam
11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
I have, if I'm keeping the old monster for now I wanted something a bit different though. Wanted something quite new so they were a bit too pricey too. And a bit of a fairing can't hurt, the pennines are a bit windy and it's sending my hearing a bit funny even with earplugs :)

As well as that, my plan was something reliable that I'm not going to be tempted to modify (beyond maybe crash bungs and a dark screen...) Unless I was to have a crazy moment and streetfighter it, this one seems to fit :thumbsup:

rac3r
11-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I have, if I'm keeping the old monster for now I wanted something a bit different though. Wanted something quite new so they were a bit too pricey too. And a bit of a fairing can't hurt, the pennines are a bit windy and it's sending my hearing a bit funny even with earplugs :)

As well as that, my plan was something reliable that I'm not going to be tempted to modify (beyond maybe crash bungs and a dark screen...) Unless I was to have a crazy moment and streetfighter it, this one seems to fit :thumbsup:

Yeah they come pretty much fully loaded including an Ohlins steering damper! You might want an Akrapovic slip on though :D

Oh and the induction sound on Kawasakis is addictive

the_adam
13-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Yeah they come pretty much fully loaded including an Ohlins steering damper! You might want an Akrapovic slip on though

Oh and the induction sound on Kawasakis is addictive

Well, it's now safely in the garage, think I'm going to have to agree with what you said :thumbsup: May have to hold back on that exhaust for a while though... I've been a little cautious so far but it's a much better bike than I'd imagined, if very different to the Monster. But it only took a minute to feel comfortable riding it. My only complaint is that there seems to be a strange "gap" at the bottom of the rev range just above idling which makes carparks and steep downhills a bit difficult to do smoothly, just something to get used to I guess :)

So I like it :D I'm sure the Monster looked a little upset though...

BluprintZ
13-05-2012, 08:21 AM
.....or Street Trip :D

Once i sell the Thruxton, that's my next bike!

G ; ) :thumbsup:

rac3r
13-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Once i sell the Thruxton, that's my next bike!

G ; ) :thumbsup:

That's what I have now, awesome fun and the most comfortable bike I've had. Gets a bit windy above 70ish though

utopia
13-05-2012, 05:37 PM
So you got it then....!!!
I think I can guess what you'll be doing this afternoon.
Green is quite fast, isn't it ?

Actually, I was thinking of offering you the loan of my dominator for a couple of months while you got sorted, though its probably not the most practical of ideas.
That was scuppered though cos the starter began making awful noises the other day, and closer inspection this afternoon has revealed half a cupful of nasty emulsion sludge in the drive gears and at least one shot bearing.
Just as well I resisted making a provisional offer on wednesday.

Everyone should try a jap multi at some stage.
They can be a bit frantic though.....careful now.
Streetfighter ? ........step away from the toolkit and blank all such thoughts from your mind.

The monster will be fine.
It has a soul, and deep within that soul it knows the true score.
Though it might sulk if you neglect it for too long, it won't be seriously concerned by some upstart, howling, johnny-come-lately, whizz-bang challenger to its thoroughbred crown.
With any luck it'll stop being such a temporamental bitch though.

Banzai....!!

uksurfer
13-05-2012, 05:57 PM
As a parent myself I'd go for the swap

i would also take the japanese umbrella holder as a swap for adam too

good luck with your kwack, i think i had a green bike years ago.....

the_adam
13-05-2012, 11:20 PM
i would also take the japanese umbrella holder as a swap for adam too

good luck with your kwack, i think i had a green bike years ago.....

But I can hold more than one umbrella. That makes me more efficient, so you would prefer me :D Though I may possibly not be quite so nice to look at...

Yep, being me I took it to meet the church then spent the afternoon sat in the park! :running:

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/the_adam_m695/581836_3971367288403_1407122314_3552908_1812922824 _n1.jpg

utopia
14-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Yep, being me I took it to meet the church then spent the afternoon sat in the park! :running:

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/the_adam_m695/581836_3971367288403_1407122314_3552908_1812922824 _n1.jpg

I was wrong then.
I was thinking more of an extended blast across the moors.

Blimey, you look like a giant on that bike.

the_adam
14-05-2012, 02:54 PM
You're not the first person to say that to this photo! It's not a small bike (and I'm not exactly a big Adam), all I can think is it's some kind of optical illusion from being sat so far forward...because that's the only way my other leg could reach the ground :chuckle:

The moors will happen eventually, weekends are never that free for me to ride anyway and I could never say no to a picnic :) Wanting to do a sensible trip home on the motorway today to get an idea of how fast it gets through fuel, I've had to fill it up once already and it came with a fairly full tank :eyepopping: