PDA

View Full Version : Carbs rebuilt, cleaned still starting and idle issues

Wildfire
09-05-2012, 11:24 PM
So I have managed to change the belts and a friend (who is a very good bike mechanic) has stripped and rebuilt the carbs, balanced them and set up the floats, but I've still got problems with the engine.

To get the bike to start, you need to pull full choke, hit the starter, then open the the throttle to catch the engine. If you don't catch it first time, then that's it, the bike won't start for about an hour.

Once started the bike struggles to idle, whilst cold. Once warm the idle is sometime very high and other times it drops and the bike almost stalls. It never seems to stabilise.

My friend says that if it were a Suzuki, then he would suspect an air leak, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Any ideas?

I'm new to V Twins and bikes in general any help would be much appreciated.

He11cat
10-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Did you get new needles and jets????
You can clean , reset floats and all sorts but if you do not replace the jets and needles it will still cause all those issues.

My Monster has exactly what you are describing as did my old suzi!! both needed rejetting and new needles.

If you did not then that would be next on my list new needles and jets.
best of luck :)

stef
10-05-2012, 07:28 AM
I thought the bike was suppose to iddle and start normally before you can balance the carbs ?

i'd recheck the carbs. check the pilot jet and gasket for leak. put everything back to default settings (neddle clip, mix screws.). balance the carbs by sight (when off the bike, getting the butterfly lined up) get the bike to start and iddle..
if that doesnt work, maybe a valve check.
all this you can do with the airbox off, dont put it back on everytime, it will drive you nuts.
when you get into a stable condition, put the box back on, and then balance the carbs using a vacuum gauge.

gary tompkins
10-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Have you checked the basics... such as compression on both cylinders and H/T system?

I would have done that before touching carbs