PDA

View Full Version : Another engine paint question

He11cat
02-05-2012, 06:59 PM
My poor engine looks a bit decrepid like its owner.

Paint wise it's a bit of a headache ..
I don't want in your face bright shiny silver which seems to be the case for most silver engine paint .

Most of my bikes have had black engines but over time they looked tired.
They have looked fab for a bit but when I have seen them later on in life after a few stone chips ouch!!

Is there a aerosol that's that old darker silver that the early monsters had ?
The engine needs a little tart up .

I have not really seen other folks variations on what paint schemes they went for.
Just don't want to have another all black engine :(

littlejimmy12
02-05-2012, 08:12 PM
My poor engine looks a bit decrepid like its owner.

Paint wise it's a bit of a headache ..
I don't want in your face bright shiny silver which seems to be the case for most silver engine paint .

Most of my bikes have had black engines but over time they looked tired.
They have looked fab for a bit but when I have seen them later on in life after a few stone chips ouch!!

Is there a aerosol that's that old darker silver that the early monsters had ?
The engine needs a little tart up .

I have not really seen other folks variations on what paint schemes they went for.
Just don't want to have another all black engine :(

I've bought some VHT hi-temp engine paint in a spray can. The main engine color is SP997 cast-iron grey . End result is

http://www.duccutters.com/MikeBanker-BlackFog.tpl

He11cat
02-05-2012, 08:57 PM
That's more like it :) thank you I know also some of the real bright silver ones can sometimes yellow off :(

He11cat
03-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Stupid question....
The paint needs to be heat cured.

My engine won't fit in my oven :) I have no objections to baking cases in the oven :)

My engine is currently on the floor it can't be attached to the bike as um there is just a pile of bits :)...

I would stand there with my hair dryer if needs and musts be .... but its not hot enough .

slob
03-05-2012, 04:54 AM
It'll heat cure when you run it, you'll just have to be very careful putting eveything back together round it.

littlejimmy12
03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Stupid question....
The paint needs to be heat cured.

My engine won't fit in my oven :) I have no objections to baking cases in the oven :)

My engine is currently on the floor it can't be attached to the bike as um there is just a pile of bits :)...

I would stand there with my hair dryer if needs and musts be .... but its not hot enough .

Mines currently in my downstairs bathroom, fortunately in there I have a wall monted heater and mains so I'm going to get it nice and warm. The missus did not beleive me when I said thats not an engine its a new Dyson for you.

littlejimmy12
03-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Whilst we are all talking engine painting, is it possible on the engine paint that is still in perfect condition to rub it down, etch and then paint on it. Or is it best to remove everything?

the_adam
03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
The missus did not beleive me when I said thats not an engine its a new Dyson for you.

Isn't that even worse than telling her it's an engine? :chuckle:

Rally
03-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Mel, Use a hair drier to heat cure the engine cases, about 10-15 minutes will do nicely.

He11cat
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Ok .. will grab some of that paint its more the colour I want.

I have oven baked things before now ...but this is a very corroded old grotty engine.

New Dyson :) wow can you imagine if she slung it and said you can keep your ruddy Dyson!!

Id rather have a pink Hetty hoover :)

Nickj
03-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Whilst we are all talking engine painting, is it possible on the engine paint that is still in perfect condition to rub it down, etch and then paint on it. Or is it best to remove everything?

As the original paint usually flakes off when chipped and the moisture gets in, the ally gets fluffy corrosion and the paint flakes........ I'd suggest that stripping and prepping properly ought to be the best option.

How about the nice bronze colour some of the motors had? A good gollop of satin lacquer to finish off and it looks quite nice.

He11cat
15-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Got some of the cast iron paint its very nice but way to dark compared to the original colour which I am going to near as damit match or a tad darker.

Does anyone have the code or info on the paint colour used on the early monster or ss engines?
its kind of a flat grey.
Most VHT paints are not grey but a real garish silver when applied which after looking at a test patch is indeed not good given the original colour.

I am getting brain ache now with this bike .. :)

Dukedesmo
15-05-2012, 08:33 AM
The missus did not beleive me when I said thats not an engine its a new Dyson for you.

Get her a Dyson for her birthday, I find that women love that kind of 'thoughfulness' over the choice of a present on her special day... :D

Watching this thread though because I will need to be painting my engine soon.

He11cat
15-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Dukedesmo .... do you have a death wish ??????

Yup I was thrilled with the Christmas gift on my first Christmas with my note EX husband ... a tin opener and a pair of scissors. I am far from high maintenace infact the opposite :) abit of an urchin.
But when I found out it was not a joke ..... I had reallymade an effort as well :(

Id wait til you was asleep attach the dyson somewhere and put it on max suck and run :)

Dukedesmo
15-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Id wait til you was asleep attach the dyson somewhere and put it on max suck and run :)

Well I'll try anything once... ;)

He11cat
16-05-2012, 01:26 PM
lol ..... just don't try hoovering in the nude ...
An episode of Bottom popped into my head :)

Grumpy
16-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Most paint suppliers for the motor industry, are able to mix any colour you wish from a sample or colour chart. They can then put the paint into an areosol can for you to apply.