PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Idle

Wildfire
23-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Ok, so finally got the bike back home last night, seems I also need a new headlight bulb, but that's a different matter.

Anyhow I have wound the idle up a bit to try and get the bike to idle properly, but seems that when I get it stay steady, I rev the bike and the idle goes sky high, and I have to wind it down.

I've based the idle.

Any ideas?

I have a feeling that the carbs may need some work.

Saint aka ML
23-04-2012, 10:03 PM
You rev it it goes sky high that is how it works :D

Now for real do you mean you rev it, let the throttle go and revs do not drop to as low as when they were before revving?

Did you wait for some time to see if it settles down if left alone?

PhilLew
23-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Erratic Idle...was he not in Monty Python?

Sorry.....

...i'll get my coat!

Wildfire
23-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah, you let the throttle go, then the revs stay high. It does settle down after a bit. I had a problem similar on my car, but that was FI and the cam was worn and throwing the mixture out causing it not to idle.

Wildfire
23-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Bikes are pretty new to me, and it's been a while since I worked with carbs.

Saint aka ML
23-04-2012, 11:31 PM
It is M600 so I guess it is carburated. As such idle mixture is to high aka it is running rich. It stays on higher revs till it burns off the excess fuel. My one run's very rich and does the same. Just because I have FCR carbs with accelerator pump it is much worse as I can flood the engine at low revs if I want to :D

He11cat
24-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Arhh I had the pleasure of this for ages...
Friend set the idle dead right and then it would creep up til way too high.
This would happen in the garage .. Then it appeared ok I'd set off next thing it was screaming its little nuts off!

After all carb issues where exhausted .. Mixture settings the works it turned out my needles and jets needed replacing in my carbs .
Once done issue resolved :) but it drive me mental and made the bike a bastardo to ride !
M600 1999 ...

Everything was tried even float heights ..
What year is yours?

Phil .... Pmsl honestly :)

gary tompkins
24-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Ok, so finally got the bike back home last night, seems I also need a new headlight bulb, but that's a different matter.

Anyhow I have wound the idle up a bit to try and get the bike to idle properly, but seems that when I get it stay steady, I rev the bike and the idle goes sky high, and I have to wind it down.

I've based the idle.

Any ideas?

I have a feeling that the carbs may need some work.

I would hazard a guess that more than the carbs may need work

What is the mileage/service history on the bike, and has it been properly maintained? The 2V desmo engines are pretty reliable, but still need regular tuning and maintainance to keep them reliable. For example.. when were items like the cam belts, desmo valve shims, air filter, fuel filter, engine oil/filter last serviced? Items like these can all effect the way an engine performs if badly neglected.