PDA

View Full Version : Newbie quesiton on dash warning lights

simontt
18-04-2012, 07:45 AM
The two smal round red warning lights (which double up as the immobiliser activation light when the key is out of the ignition) on the top of the dash flashed when I applied insufficient throttle when moving off from the traffic light, and when it happened the bike was reluctant to rev cleanly and I immediately pulled over, switched off the engine, waited for 10 seconds and re-started, there was no more flashing lights and bike behaved normally.

The same thing happens yesterday, as it was quite cold and I applied little throttle to move off and today as it's rained heavily. It felt like the bike is in some kind of "limp mode". I will study the manual tonight, but just wondering if insufficient application of throttle would trigger the warning lights to come on, and will it reset upon switching off and restarting? Is it serious enough to warrant immediate checks by the dealer? The bike is a 1100 evo, 2 months old and has covered 350 miles.

simontt
18-04-2012, 06:04 PM
According to the owners manual, it's the light will flash just before the rev limiter kicks in, which was consistent with the lack of power feeling I experienced, so it seems insufficient revs may also trigger the rev limiter in its attempt to protect the engine.

Lesson learnt - I should give it more gas from now on :)

neilo
18-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Although I'm new to Ducatis and the Monster 1100, I'm made to believe that running at too low an rpm can damage the engine. I'm sure the more technically minded on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I heard from a dealer...