PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about cambelts

Wildfire
16-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I've just bought a 96 600 Monster with quite and extensive service history, but in the last 18 months it has only had a small service. I'd like to do the cam belts, but have no idea about how to go about it or where to get them from?

Can anyone help? I'm in Surrey near Croydon.

Rally
17-04-2012, 06:33 AM
The genuine belts are not dear for your bike (under £40) so buy from a dealer, it is a very easy job indeed. Search for it on you tube for a video.

gary tompkins
17-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Invest in a Haynes manual for the monster too

It will be money well spent

http://motorcycle-parts-accessories.co.uk/product/2927/haynes-manual-ducati-600,-620,-750-andamp-900-2-valve-v-twins

Grumpy
17-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I've just bought a 96 600 Monster with quite and extensive service history, but in the last 18 months it has only had a small service. I'd like to do the cam belts, but have no idea about how to go about it or where to get them from?

Can anyone help? I'm in Surrey near Croydon.

There are two dealers near you, In Moto are in Croydon, or Protwins who are down the road in Godstone.
Either of them should be able to help you.:)

Wildfire
18-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks Grumpy, I'll check them out as both Croydon and Godstone are near by. :)

utopia
18-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I got a pair of belts for my 750 a couple of weeks ago from G.tec via ebay.
They were a few quid cheaper than the local dealer price, and free postage too.

Belt change is really rather easy on the 2-valve engines.
The "Ducati tech" video is very helpful.
I would recommend spending some time getting a good feel for the tension of your existing ones by hand before removing them. You will then probably find that you can get an initial setting for the tension pretty accurately without the use of any sort of gauge. Then check with the allen key method.
As a bit of reassurance, I marked the original position of the tensioners with a permanent marker before I moved anything. The belts seem to be pretty consistant and the adjusters on mine have twice ended up in exactly the same place after tensioning the new belts. Helps with the paranoia to know that things are roughly how they were before.

Wildfire
07-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks, got the same one. All done now. Just need to work out how to get it started

griffs
07-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Don't forget to lock the cam sprocket with a small screw through the top of the housing. This makes it a relatively simple task.

I did mine 1st time no problems after watching the video. Unfortunately I didn't lock the cam sprocket until afterwards though. I used the screw already in the top of the housing.

Utopia makes a good point, have a good feel for how they are set-up. I also used the allen key method.

Enjoy.