PDA

View Full Version : Hi and some advice please

Wildfire
13-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Hi

I've been looking at getting a monster for a while and modifying and having some fun on it. So far I've managed to narrow it down to two bikes, so some advice on which one would be much appreciated:

1. 1996 750, 30,000 miles, which is ready to roll, may need cam belts doing, but it's ready to go. My only reservation is that the engine is quite a high miler. Had a tail chop and clip ons fitted. A few chips on the tank.

2. 1995 600 13,000, definitely needs the belts doing, needs tax. Generally good condition. But more expensive than the 750 above.

Any opinions?

I'm looking forward to getting out on the road.

Nickj
14-04-2012, 12:15 AM
My 750 (2000/1 carbie) has done 46,000, currently I rack up 1,000 miles a month. I'm thinking at around 65-70K I might do a major rebuild that's if it's really needed.

The motor (all of the 2V's) are quite capable of running to big numbers as long as the oils changed regularly and you aren#t screwing the nads off the bike all the time.

Given a choice between the 600 and 750 I'd take the 750... it's a little quicker, got a little more power at pretty much the same weight... ;) confuses the uninitiated jap bike riders who always think it's a 600, LOL they end up thinking 600's are a lot quicker than they imagined
My practical experience says it's a nice bike and 30K is not a worry as long as the bikes been looked after.

Wildfire
14-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks, I'm mainly concerned with getting the best condition bike I can and possibly one that has had the belts done, as I'm not too confident at changing them, although I am handy with a spanner. I've only ever done chains on minis.

I'm not too worried by performance, I've had a go on the Supersports and paid the price in high insurance and cramped legs. I'm looking for something fun to zip around town on and a gentle blat in the countryside when the weatheris good.

utopia
14-04-2012, 02:12 AM
I only have experience of a 00/01 750, but I can say that after nearly 6yrs of ownership, it still feels like the best bike ever built and does everything I ask of it. I think the extra shove of the 750 motor gives it just enough. Its a keeper.
I think if I'd bought a 600, I'd be looking to replace it with a 900 by now.
These two bikes are pretty much the same age, seen the same number of winters, so the 750 sounds a better deal, if its a decent one.. If anything, the regular use may be a point in its favour. And maybe its bigger motor is less likely to have been worked hard. And chain/sprockets etc may have been changed by now..?
Don't be scared of changing the belts...its easy-peasy...and there's a good video.
And assuming that brake lines etc are still original, then ultra-low renthals at 25quid gets you back to pretty much std set-up, if that's an issue.
Don't believe the crap about ducatis needing constant expensive and complicated fettling. The 2-valvers in particular are beautiful in their simplicity and easy to work on.

Pick the one that you think you can fall in love with....if in doubt, its the one with the bigger pistons...;)

Zimbo
14-04-2012, 09:02 AM
The 750 I'd say. the mileage at 30,000 isn't a big problem, Monsters are good for well over 100,000 miles with the odd refresh of suspension etc.
Belts are really really easy to do, way easier than chains on minis!
As long as the 750 is in good condition I'd go for that.

gary tompkins
14-04-2012, 12:19 PM
If the 750 runs ok it would be the one I'd pick

dunlop0_1
14-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Deffo the 750. :thumbsup:

Wildfire
16-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Sadly missed out on the 750 :-( but just got a M600 in red to start restoring and modifying. It runs and is taxed and Mot'd.

I'm hopefully getting it Saturday and can't wait.

Now to make plans and to work out how to change the belts....