PDA

View Full Version : Can't turn the damn thing off.

Boppin Bobby
28-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Ok here goes.
Got home last night &, because of the iced carbs thought that it was just ticking over really slowly causing the ignition light to come on. So I quickly opened the garage & put her away.
Come this morning the Ignition & all associated lights came on as usual but no turn over for at leat a dozen presses, then hey presto she fires up. Late for work by now so ride in.
Had the usual on off switch of a throttle that I get when I can't get optimax. but when I got to the bike shed & turned off the ignition key the thing still was either turning over real slow or possibly the starter was still turning (though not as fast as it would with a fully charged battery.) Disconnected the main fuse & ignition fuse with no change but battery flattened before I could get tools to disonnect it.
Suggestions so far have been the voltage regulator being shot due to it being pre 98 & dodgy. & solenoid welding itself together due to insufficient battey voltage. as both of these seem very expensive, thought I'd ask for help from you guys first. Also the ignition switch has been stiff to turn & remove in the last 2 days so possibly 2 red herrings.
Battery levels all good. on charge here at work now. so no sign of boiling.
Any ideas? :confused:

fatbloke
28-11-2003, 11:43 AM
I've heard of the starter solonoid sticking a couple of times and like you the battery had to be dis-connected to stop it. The bloke purchased a new solonoid and that was the problem and the cure.
I hope its as simple for you

Boppin Bobby
28-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Just got battey off charge & on re connecting it starts turning over again. even disconnecting the exiter wires from the solenoid (well I think the thing located under the battery bay is the solenoid.) has no effect so that would rule out the starter button.
Rang stuart & ordered a new solenoid at about £30. will let you know the result.

Bruza
28-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Bob....

Its deffo the solenoid... on the right hand side, about shin height, round... if it keeps running when you switch off the ignition, tap it a few times... more like hit it, and it stops straight away. Happened to me the day I picked my babe up... had to drive back to the dealer... out came the mechanic and blatted it... "its a common problem on these...."

Nice

Boppin Bobby
14-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Battering it had no effect. Just fitted replacement from spareshack & bingo. Thanx for helping guys.