PDA

View Full Version : Replacing clutch springs ?

scrapps
04-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I have just got some very shiny new clutch springs and caps for my 900ie and was wondering if anybody has any tips/advise for changing them.
Also a torque setting for when i replace the bolts (do i need to use thread lock ?):scratch:

Cheers

Pomp1
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Change one at the time, but maybe taking all plates out and give them a clean/check can be beneficial. They have a reassembly order and indications. I think the bolts are torqued at something like 5 Nn. So just over finger tight really without thread lock.

Nottsbiker
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Yes, on something that small a diameter youre better off being very careful / gentle when tightening.

gary tompkins
04-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Over-tightening spring retaining bolts can easily snap posts off the clutch hub

Dukedesmo
04-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Just nip them up using the short end of the allen key so you don't overdo it, as said above you can break the posts or strip the threads if you tighten them too much.

They don't need to be tight anyway because the spring pressure will stop them turning undone - I've never heard of them falling out.

Always a good idea to remove, clean and check the plates whilst you're at it though.

scrapps
04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Ok cheers for the info i will try to be careful when doing them back up.:thumbsup:

nuttynick
04-04-2012, 01:56 PM
They don't need to be tight anyway because the spring pressure will stop them turning undone - I've never heard of them falling out.

I have, and I've seen photos posted of the damaged caused to clutch covers when they loosen off!

buzzbomb
04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Rick 5Nn is the correct torque, just be careful as as already been stated the posts are easily broken and don't use any loctite.

Funkatronic
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
very light 5-6nm, do not use threadlock and use engine oil to lubricate the bolts according to my service manual