PDA

View Full Version : Cough! Splutter! M900ie 2001

blueguzzi
02-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Any suggestions gratefully received to alleviate the following issue?

M900ie 2001

Seems to tick over eventually when warmed up, no throttle,no choke.

As soon as any throttle applied, coughs and splutters, runs really rich smells of unburnt fuel. then will cut out as plugs fouled.

Just replaced in-tank fuel filter, spark plugs, checked connections etc.

Next in line is throttle position sensor? started with cheapest first he he ;)

any clue how to test a TPS? just to try to get an idea whats going on.

Or has anyone got any other brainwaves,
Cheers
Hugh

gary tompkins
02-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Check the engine temperature sensor on the front cylinder. My bet is that it's failed - common fault on this model.

Had one fail on my own 900ie back in 2004 and cost around £50 to replace at the time.

Starter Sprag
02-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah, look at engine temp. sensor, give it a good clean of any corrosion, toothbrush and WD-40 works well !

TPS, again give it a good clean, same method, but more fiddly to get to

Xenocide
03-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Another vote for the oil temp sensor jobber. It's the one that sticks out just below the oil cooler on the front cylinder. Louigi diagnosed my crappy running bike to that. He put it on his magic computer thing and it thought the bike was at -27oC ;D

pooh
03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Try the crank position sensor, check there is no corrosion behind it or metal on the end of it should be held in with two bolts on the left front of the alternator casing. My sensor was set to close to the gear it sensed and was giving spurios signals to the ECU. If you have a look at a manual it tells you haow to check there is the correct gap between the sensor and the gear some where in between the two distances given is about the best. Or as above the engine temp sensor on top of the horizontal cylinder.

Ian

scrapps
03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Also worth checking wiring harness for water. I had loads of problems with my 900ie due to water getting in. (cut a small hole in bottom of wire tube on r/h side under engine mount.)

gary tompkins
03-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Also worth checking wiring harness for water. I had loads of problems with my 900ie due to water getting in. (cut a small hole in bottom of wire tube on r/h side under engine mount.)

Scrapps makes a valid point here

Blueguzzi, What model is your 900ie.. hoop rear suspension or non-hoop S4 chassis? The wiring loom was totally re-designed on non-hooped bikes (like Scrapps), and do have a big issue with water ingress. My earlier hooped 2001 spec 900ie has harness routed differently, and is also covered in fabric tape, which traps zero water compared to later pvc sheathed loom. Shuffy's S2R1000 had huge running problems due to a flooded loom. They cut a small slit in the outer sheath and water literally poured out of it.

blueguzzi
04-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the ideas one and all.
I will have a tinker with it again over the weekend,
Its the hooped suspension type 2001 900ie.
It has run fine up to now? just rebuilt it after getting everything painted again?
looks good but unfortunately it does'nt go as well ha ha.
It should'nt be water in the wiring harness as its not been out in the rain and last year the wiring harness was in a box in the shed!
I will try all you helpfull suggestions and hopefully get a result.
Many thanks everyone
hugh

Tandy
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
If its really rich also worth checking the O2 sensors if they have them fitted to that model, ensure the connections are all good with no water ingress in them either

Dukedesmo
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I've never worked on a 900ie but on a 4-valve (916) precise setting of the TPS, throttle balance and CO settings (4-5% CO) cures most running issues.

Nickj
04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
So pretty much check all the sensors and the loom first, Yep that'll keep you out of mischief for the long weekend ;)