PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy belts/service parts?

nick31
01-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Well, i now have a 600, and its due new belts and a service.
Where is the best place to buy belts? Is it best to use 'official' Ducati ones, and if so how can i tell the difference?

I'm also going to need some gaskets and piston rings, is there anywhere reasonably priced i can go to for those parts?

Thanks,
Nick

Pomp1
01-04-2012, 05:41 PM
for belts, filters, gaskets etc. your first port of call can be any of the official Ducati dealership, Moto Rapido springs to mind. For your piston rings be prepared as Ducati ones are insanely and unreasonably expensive last time I've checked, so you may want to make sure you really need new piston rings..
What's the problem then?

nick31
01-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks mate, i shall give Moto Rapido a call.

As for piston rings, the bike is suffering with piston slap. I have been given a 'new' barrel and piston from a low mileage 600ss but no rings.
To be honest though from what i can gather i'm not so sure its actually worth doing anything about, a recent compression test revealed compression is within tolerance limits, and i suppose there is no way of telling the same thing wont happen again..

Thanks,
Nick

Dirty
02-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Nice looking bike :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290688128270?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Rally
02-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Piston slap sounds on that bike are quite common and not usually as bad as they sound. If the compression is okay, I would leave it alone myself.

nick31
02-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Yep, thats the one Dirty :)

It needs a service and the belts doing (only done 2k miles since the last belt change but has been 2 years, so i guess better to be safe than sorry)

I might well leave the engine alone for now then, it seems to pull nicely and apart from the metallic slapping sound it sounds bloody lovely through those cans..

Thanks,
Nick

nick31
12-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Just an update, i changed the belts today, took me all of about 30 minutes - easy peasy! I'm a bit paranoid about the tension, but i've done it using the allen key method so hopefully its right...
:woot:

utopia
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Its worth checking the tension again after a few miles.
Its not so much that they'll loosen off (though they might) but it does ease the paranoia to have a look and confirm that all is well.

I did mine on saturday...second time.
Before I took the originals off, I marked the position of the tensioner lock screws with a marker pen.
Both sets that I've changed myself have ended up with the tensioners in exactly the same place when the tension was set.
I guess its not all that surprising that the belts are this consistant when you think of their function.
It did further soothe the paranoia to see the tensioners back in exactly the same spot though...a kind of double check that at least I'd got the tension somewhere close.

Wildfire
18-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Just an update, i changed the belts today, took me all of about 30 minutes - easy peasy! I'm a bit paranoid about the tension, but i've done it using the allen key method so hopefully its right...
:woot:

Great to hear, I'll be doing mine soon. Picking the bike up on Saturday.