PDA

View Full Version : Bike Cover

Taman
27-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Hi Guys,

I used to have my bike under shelter, but have now moved. Now it's out in the open with a bike cover. With the recent rain and frost, my bike seems to be always damp. I have it under what I though was a pretty decent bike cover, but doesn't seem to be helping with the frost and rain that much.

Should I just expect the rain/frost to get though the cover? Do I need a better cover? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Taman

Davie
27-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Phone MPS they are doing a waterproof cover for 24.99, just ordered mine today, not that mine sits in the rain only bought it `cause it was just as cheap as a dust cover.
Don`t` have the number handy but you can find it in MCN.

Davie.............

CK & AK
27-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Tis not always the rain leaking through.

I also have a good cover (pressie) - and popped it on one night in March last year, when bike was in the garage. Next morning the bike was damp from all the condensation trapped inside the cover - and the bike hadnt been ridden the day I covered it - so it wasnt at all hot either. Air could also circulate from underneath, as I didnt clip it together at the bottom.
I only take the cover when going for a longish hol (used for 3 nights this spring), to keep torrential rain out of the electrics.

My bike lives on Axminster (cast offs!) in the garage, with the 5 other bikes of ours. :D

C

Taman
30-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Hi Davie

Had a look through MPS and couldn't find the cover you were talking about. Do you have any more details? Have you tested it out yet?

Mine is all wet inside, bit hard to figure out whether it's condensation or rain, though think it might be condensation.

Has anyone tried one of those zipup things to stop the moisture getting in. They seem quite expensive, but cheaper than all the bike rusting!

Cheers, Taman

jrpdark
28-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Hi

I recently picked up a really nice bike cover from Clay Cross Powersports - it's an Oxford one and is claimed waterproof, breathable and heat resistant, and has a soft inside so shouldn't scratch the bike. It has a clip underneath for securing and holes for passing a chain/lock through. It is also a rather smart black with reflective patches.

The best bit was it was reduced from about £65 to approx £42.

They said it was "standard size" (I couldn't see any size on it at all), and the only other size is extra large - if I'm honest I'd say it's a little too big for a Monster, but could easily be sorted out with some thought.

A word of warning on bike covers in general - cheap is not always best. My new bike cover was bought to replace a cheapie that lasted all of 9 months. First of all the seam split within about 2 months where the cover sat over the mirror (actually this was the second cover - the first split within a week and I took it back to the shop where the vendor ran a finger over the edge of the mirror housing and said that it was "rather sharp"!! I kid ye not. He did change it though).

Then the cover picked up a small tear that became a slightly bigger tear, and then after one particularly windy night I came out to find my cover rent in twain and my Monster, er, exposed (your honour).

Furthermore, the cover was not heat resistant and could not be put over a hot exhaust.

I can't remember the make but it was a silvery colour and made of a sort of vinyl. It cost £25ish I seem to remember - AVOID at all costs!

Hope this helps

Cheers

James

Blufoot
29-12-2003, 09:10 AM
I had exactly the same thing - bought the silver plastic one and it lasted 1 night outside my flats before it shredded.

then i bought the same oxford one cheap at the bike show and i think its great.

jason cursley
29-12-2003, 01:58 PM
I thought I had the best bike cover available, its made out of brick, slate and has big wooden doors. Yet throughout the winter my bike used to get so wet it was dripping. Someting to do with cold metal attracting the moisture in the air.

I have since bought a dehumidifier (it works by having cold metal inside, which would you believe attacts moisture).

Er... I don't exactly know how this will help, but good luck.

Bru
04-01-2004, 12:23 AM
I thoroughly recommend the Oxford Stormex cover. I got mine for £40ish from bikersuperstore.co.uk. My Monster is staying nice and dry.

Tommo S4
14-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Have you tried Silica Crystals? Most electronic components come packed with the stuff. We get 1/2 kg sacks of it at work. if you know someone in the business, it might work out cheaper than a cover.:D

Albie
14-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Im still waiting for my oxford cover in mcn offer before chrissymas. .they sent an email apology due to overdemand again. They always do this as disclocks. wondering whether to get gloves for a quid. might get them for july winter period. the cover is only for inside garage so its alright for 6 quid. anyone know american keyboard setup. pound sign not where should be??

M900nster
24-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Silica gel won't help - it absorbs (some) moisture, but then it needs to be dried out before it can absorb any more. Years ago I had to keep my Commando outside for a season. The pvc cover in contact with the petrol tank trapped moisture which eventually penetrated the laquer and paint, which in turn cracked and lifted because the tank was rusting! You might prevent this if you put something on the bike to maintain air circulation, but even with the best covers (which are canvas - it breathes) your bike will still rust, so raise heaven and earth to get the bike indoors. In the meantime, hose off any road salt and squirt WD-40 at everything which might go rusty (ecxept brake disks - of course!). A lock-up is still full of dampish air, and you'll often find your bike covered in condensation on winter mornings unless you run an electric dehumidifier. Best of luck.

spacemonkey
25-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Got Patio Doors? Then their's no excuse for not getting it in doors, and think of the conversations arising in silent, awkward situations. You won't need a cat anymore to focus attention when you pull and get them home for the first time...

Taman
26-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Hmmm... Well I got one of those Oxford cover. Very nice but still getting wet - probably due to the cold rather than rain, but have found a new location that while not inside is under cover, so hopfully should be an improvement.

Is sounding a bit sick at the moment - needs a good long ride, but don't think I'm up to it in this weather!

superlight3
26-01-2004, 04:13 PM
My two Ducati's used to live outside a few years ago.

I had some tailored covers made by (forgive me if this is wrong) Classie Covers. Anyone know if they still make covers for bikes? They're based in Wales.

Really good covers (I've still got them eight years on!) tailored to each bike with a zip-side and two under bike clips. You could also spec a 'thermal' pad on the upper cover to protect from frost, snow, small children etc. :D

Sorry I don't know the telephone number or web-address, perhaps another club member can help?

Cheers.

Lee.

james007
27-01-2004, 04:22 PM
I bought a silver cover from Daytona on Pentonville Road (Angel). It is made out of fancy material, and is really excellent. It is light so the bike can breath in the heat, and there are two loopholes underneath which I clip together. The bike is always dry, and starts first time, even in this cold weather. I think it was about £50. Only problem is you have to leave bike for about 20 minutes to cool down first, otherwise you will burn holes in the cover (as I did, but fixed with duct tape and have never looked back). It rolls up quite tight, so storage is also a doddle.