PDA

View Full Version : Hot air from engine - heat issue

simontt
29-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Been riding the 1100evo (my first monster) since Monday to / from work, and noticed the heat / hot air from the engine rising from underneath the thigh area, which gets very warm, borderline hot whenever stopping for traffic - at times it gets a bit uncomfortable. My cerntral London journey is farily low speed and involves frequent stop start - filitering and traffic lights etc. I never experienced any heat issue from my old KTM Duke 125 and the Honda CBF 600 which I used for the DAS.

Found myself having to step on the foot pegs in turn, to enable the leg to be further away from the heat source to reduce the hot sensation.

The temperature raised to 5 bars on the dash when the engine is hot.

As a result I try to get the bike moving all the time because you don't feel the heat due to the wind.

Is it normal and if so are there any ways to reduce impact of the heat?

Dukedesmo
29-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Is it normal and if so are there any ways to reduce impact of the heat?

Normal, air cooled bikes run hot - riding faster helps them cool down better... ;)

mrbryanmarshall
29-03-2012, 10:50 AM
yep, totally normal. try driving a 1098 or other superbike in the london heat/traffic and you'll be surprised at how much hotter they are then the monsters...

bex
29-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I had this with 796 till I changed to the low level exhaust. I remember being stuck in gridlock accident traffic once and I just had to get off, inner thighs were proper burning!

Headhunter
29-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi Simon,

Could be nothing as above posts but just for reference a lot of Hypemotard Evo's have been sent back to the dealers out here because there's a problem with the pipes - heat/fumes leaking before they reach the end of the exhaust, if that makes any sense.

My mate constantly complains of the same problem and located it to one of the joints in the pipe. Will ask her so I can come back to you with "better/concise" information.

Dukedesmo
29-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Of course a 'race use only' exhaust system without catalytic converter would run cooler, especially carbon-fibre...

You know it makes sense. ;)

mrbryanmarshall
29-03-2012, 11:58 AM
now that you mention it, with the racing collector on, it isn't as warm around town anymore ;)

BigOz
29-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Listen carefully when you park with little fuel in the tank and the engine hot and you will hear the fuel boiling in the tank, can't be good!

Andy

Scott1
29-03-2012, 12:14 PM
The new Monsters do tend to get boiling hot around your thighs and knees when sitting stationary in hot weather, I'd imagine an evo gets fairly hot in any traffic anyway as its an 1100 engine that's not getting much cooling.

Like a lot of Ducati/Monster quirks, I think you kind of get used to it.

JerryT
29-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Yup, sounds pretty normal to me too...

J.P
29-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Buy yourself some foil trousers and pants and put up with it. :)

Saint aka ML
29-03-2012, 12:36 PM
We managed to have a 250C read on multistrada 1000DS (in essence the same engine) before dash went off :D Bike was fine just felt tad unresponsive till we got moving and it culled down.

Nickj
29-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Would some of these (http://www.leatherworlduk.co.uk/section.php/2/1/leather-chaps)be a help in keep the offending areas cooler??

simontt
29-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi Simon,

Could be nothing as above posts but just for reference a lot of Hypemotard Evo's have been sent back to the dealers out here because there's a problem with the pipes - heat/fumes leaking before they reach the end of the exhaust, if that makes any sense.

My mate constantly complains of the same problem and located it to one of the joints in the pipe. Will ask her so I can come back to you with "better/concise" information.

It make sense, and your mate's experience would be helpful for me to get the dealer to carry out the appropriate checks just to be sure, thanks.

Thirdway
29-03-2012, 01:54 PM
It might be the position of the pipes on the EVO, also, the Monster gets particularly hot during the run in period and for a few thousand miles after that. Mines not too uncomfortable but that's with underseat pipes, but is isn't exactly cool.

Lovely when it gets chilly, the heat wafting up from the engine is like a car heater. I like stopping at traffic lights just to soak up some heat.

utopia
30-03-2012, 12:06 AM
My 750 seemed worse when I had a big bellypan on it which encased the front header pipe.
Even now I still sometimes kill the engine if I've arrived just as the lights change to red, particularly if its a complex junction so the wait will be a long one.
On any sort of hill, its easier to sit there in first with the engine off than to bother holding it on the brakes anyway.
Maybe it gives the reg/rec an easier time too, as it gets no cooling air (rather the reverse in fact....it gets blasted with extra engine heat) when the bike is stationary. Likewise the oil cooler. they're both in prime position.

Its not so convenient just at the moment though, cos I have an internal break in the starter button wire so the bike will only start on full left lock....so I tend to leave it running if I'm turning right at the junction........:look:

Martin C
30-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Would some of these (http://www.leatherworlduk.co.uk/section.php/2/1/leather-chaps)be a help in keep the offending areas cooler??

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! Oh well, that's another web-browsing history to be deleted....

gary tompkins
30-03-2012, 02:02 PM
http://www.usinenouvelle.com/industry/img/anti-heat-trouser-000165412-4.jpg ... Or just try staying out of London traffic

Nottsbiker
30-03-2012, 02:52 PM
My 996 used to do the same thing but only on the right where the exhaust was - sound like you need to get into the swing of true London riding and stop less often ;)

MrsC_772
30-03-2012, 07:33 PM
My 696 is also bad for thigh-toasting when sat at traffic lights. Exhaust pipes just seem to be routed in exactly the wrong place relative to my left leg!

smudgerii
30-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Had the same problem when running with original cans, far less heat build up when running cans that don't have cats in them.