PDA

View Full Version : Engaging gears

griffs
27-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Not sure where to post this.

Completely new to riding a Monster and as someone recently posted, it is a new experience. And I like it. The bike is so light and has so much torque.

Is it normal that the gears clunk loudly when engaging 1st from either neutral or when coming down from second. It is making me feel like a novice or I am doing something wrong.

Bike has only done 2K so I know it is nothing mechanical. Mate recons it is just how modern gear box's are.

I also struggle to find neutral when bike is first started, but once it is warm I can easily find it. Could be a case of just getting some miles on it after so long standing.

Cheers

damo
27-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Same here on my m620ie, from the 8k I got her to the 21K she's on now, so nothing serious.
Don't know about other bikes but I think as far as Monsters are concerned it's called character. :)

Nickj
27-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Having the chain tension a little bit off, usually slightly too slack can make it feel a bit clunkier and make finding neutral a little harder.
Otherwise it's just how it is.. neutral is always easiest to find while you are rolling a little and before you stop completely. Practice helps too!

utopia
27-03-2012, 12:04 PM
My 750 is certainly quite clunky when selecting first gear at a standstill.
The clutch seems a little reluctant to fully disengage.
Its a lot worse from a cold start, and I usually let it warm for a while then switch off, engage first and rock the bike back and forth with the clutch held in, to free the clutch.
After that, its kind of ok as long as I pull in the clutch, blip the throttle and then let the revs die right down to minimum before prodding the lever to engage first gear.
If yours is a wet clutch (like mine) you may find that some brands of oil allow better response from the clutch. I use Shell Advance. I might try something else next oil change.
Then again, maybe I should check the clutch adjustment, but gear changes on the move are fine, and its been like this since I bought it, when like yours it had only done 2k miles. and so presumably was in good nick and well adjusted.
On the whole its not a problem, and not too much worse than other bikes I have owned in the past.
Certainly, the gearchange at standstill on my winter hack dominator is much less clunky than the monster though....but still needs the initial freeing off from cold.
I assume you've changed the clutch fluid. Maybe bleeding the system again could help...?
Not sure why, but fine adjustment of the gearlever position made changes smoother on my bike and, oddly, it was slicker (on the move) after I put rearsets on it.
Might be worth checking the chain for a tight spot, if the bike's been standing for a while.
You'll probably find that once you get used to the torque and general character of the ducati motor, you'll make fewer changes down to first while on the move anyway. In low speed turns I now usually employ a quick dip of the clutch before opening the throttle, to smooth things out on the initial drive through the turn. This avoids the change down to first in most cases, and also gives you a lovely long drive on the torque before third is needed.
But basically don't worry too much...I think they're all a bit clunky.

Right then, tea break over, back to the gardening.

griffs
27-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Gardening!! Alright for some!

Chain is new and adjustment is OK. Clutch fluid was replaced and I believe it was bled OK.

I think it ios definitely a character and something I have just got to get used too.

But I do love taking off in 2nd. Puts a smile on my face :spin:

Gareth
29-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Agree with Utopia + OIberon slave cylender made mine`better' but been distinctly more clunky from 15K or so to current 27K, with nothing alarming ever having ever happened. Clunking is I think vertical slap in the chain and having chain at tight end of the adjustment will make better, but I'm inclined not to run tight chain and now used to said clunky gears, also sensitive to oil...