PDA

View Full Version : Seat discolouration

griffs
26-03-2012, 11:25 AM
My seat, whilst in great condition is grey in comparison to the rest of the bike.

Without an expensive recover, does anyone know how I can make it black again? Or was it always grey??

J.P
26-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Boot polish or a black saddle wax might help.

griffs
26-03-2012, 12:13 PM
then I will have a coal miners arse

Zak
26-03-2012, 12:32 PM
A re-cover in plain black can be done in a day, is only £80 quid, will be a better and harder wearing material and will last. Just get it re-covered or you'll end up re-buffing it every weekend.

Very few stainers will last, get an even covering or look decent.

There's a post on here in ukmoc bike section that I put up that gives details of a great guy that did my seat.

Z.

JMo
26-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Yes, it's not leather, so an kind of coloured polish is not going to sink in, it will just sit on top and rub off on you...

You could try using some of the bumper 'back to black' type resin/silicone polish (I think Armorall and Auto Glym both do one) - again, it doesn't/can't sink in as such, but it helps restore the glossy shine and at least it's clear so won't mark your riding gear...

Alternatively I'd suggest covering it is tiger-print material... but that was a long time ago.

Jx

utopia
26-03-2012, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=JMo;423114
Alternatively I'd suggest covering it is tiger-print material... but that was a long time ago.
Jx[/QUOTE]

Tee hee hee.

JMo
26-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Tee hee hee.

Don't laugh... it did happen...

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/JMoandpiglet/other%20pix/JMoMonnyLHS.jpg

Jx

He11cat
26-03-2012, 01:09 PM
silicone is very slippy ... prob not a good idea on a seat.

You can get a simple black recover for less.

If you real lucky and keep an eye on ebay you can pick up some seats for under the price of a recover.
Anything black on pleather will sit on the surface and soak into your bottom.

Loving the tiger seat!!! Although I am more Bet Linch and wear alot of leopard print quite often pink :)
Sadly won't match my bikes pink an yellow could be a bit vomitish.

gary tompkins
27-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Didge used to have this problem as well

But his seat turned brown :chuckle: