PDA

View Full Version : Temp question for a 620 ie.

griffs
25-03-2012, 05:32 PM
After many years standing, my 620 is now running. I had to wait some time for the exhausts dry out, but everything seems normal, well almost.

I have mostly let the bike idle and today I finally went for a short run. Nice bike, so much different to my 4 cyl Yamaha.

However, what is the normal operating temp for an air cooled? The engine seems hot (it isn't smoking) and the temperature on the indicator is 96 degrees or 182 f depending on which I select, but I don't get a hi temp alarm. Lo is working.The manual says 170F is the high alarm, but I am exceeding this by 12 degrees and no alarm is showing. The engine is running OK and not missing a beat.

As it has stood for 5 years and I am unfamiliar with the bike, I don't want to cause any damage and take things slowly.

What is a normal running temp for an air cooled? I searched the forums and could only find info for an S2R and 98 degrees is quoted as norm, but are these water cooled, aren't they.

If there was a problem, how would I know before it was too late? Do I rely on the temp indicator? For all I know this could be inaccurate. Can I check i?. Or is it a case of being paranoid?

Cheers.

slob
25-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I've had 135C on a few trackdays and in very heavy summer city traffic on a 620ie, never seen 'HI' on the dash, bike was going well at 40K miles.

griffs
25-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Slob, Seems I am getting paranoid then. Any idea what temp the high alarm is set for? I guess it is measuring oil temp and the sensor is next to the oil glass?

Any idea why Ducati state 170 F in the manual if this is always going to be exceeded.

Scott1
25-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Just to clarify, S2R's are air cooled, S4Rs are water cooled, I've had 107 a few times before, 96 - 98 seemed to be an average indicator.

Glad you're enjoying the bike.

slob
25-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Just to clarify, S2R's are air cooled, S4Rs are water cooled, I've had 107 a few times before, 96 - 98 seemed to be an average indicator.

Glad you're enjoying the bike.

have you seen the size of a radiator compared to an oild cooler?
luckily oil doesn't boil at 100C

Scott1
25-03-2012, 07:48 PM
have you seen the size of a radiator compared to an oild cooler?
luckily oil doesn't boil at 100C

Doh, been a long day :dunce:

pooh
25-03-2012, 08:00 PM
I see 110 on a regular basis on the wifes 620 but dont tell her.

Ian

Headhunter
26-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Hey Griffs, I've ridden my Monster for the past 3 years in summer temperatures of 45-50c and never had a problem (also great way to lose weight!). Don't forget their homeland gets pretty hot too, so wouldn't worry about it too much.

If anything I'd be more concerned about it being too cold and having been idle for 5 years changing the belts etc (on the basis you haven't done so already).

Best advice I can give is go out and enjoy it. 620 is a great bike. Am biassed of course.

griffs
26-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks guys. No oil cooler on mine, buess it wasn't standard.

All belts fluids etc been changed.

Rode it for the 1st time yesterday. Glad I read another post last week when someone asked how to ride a monster. So different to what I am used too. The engine braking is something else, but in a nice way and I like the way it "throbs" . I am constantly thinking I am in 2nd gear in town, only to realise still in 1st. Gonna take some getting used to - which is fun.

Just some issues to overcome.

I fitted new handlebars, but screwed up hole placement, so to get brake lever horizontal I push bars forward, but too far as I am leaning too far forward. More drilling required.

Rear brake is also useless, which I don't understand. I cleaned out and pistons were cleaned and free. Fluid replaces and bled properly. Pads bit against wood. However, pedal goes hard but the impact is almost zero. It seems as if the clip/spring between the pads is too wide and stops pads moving inwards. Going to order new pads and see what difference that makes.

Going to get it registered this week so I can officially ride it legally.

slob
26-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Rear brake is usually fairly useless.

Nottsbiker
26-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Same on my old 996 and current Tuono = crap

slob
26-03-2012, 11:09 AM
good for holding the bike at very low speed or stabilising the rear under very heavy braking only

griffs
26-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Guys, not sure about your definition of useless, but..

If I press as hard as I can the wheel will not lock up and at 20mph it takes about 10 meters to stop. I should at least be able to make it lock if I jump on it.

gary tompkins
26-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Better disc (slotted) and pads help a lot. Swapped both on my 900 and it improved rear brake a lot.

Bleeding is also critical and not always done properly. Any air trapped will badly effect brake performance

JMo
26-03-2012, 12:42 PM
The 620 didn't have an oil cooler as standard, but there is/was a kit available if you wanted to fit one... as I recall, CK used to say her 750 (which had the cooler fitted as standard) used to run about 15°C cooler than a bike without one... could make a difference if you ride in hot weather, but as Slob says, plenty of people have seen high engine temps with no detrimental effects...

for info. Mine usually reads around 120°C after a long high-speed run... the belly-pan and under-engine exhaust probably doesn't help keep it cool of course...

Jx

utopia
26-03-2012, 01:24 PM
good for holding the bike at very low speed or stabilising the rear under very heavy braking only

True, but I actually like it that way.
My dominator's rear brake is "better" and I often find myself inadvertantly locking the rear wheel due to weight transfer to the front wheel under braking.
On the monster the front does all my stopping and the rear works great as a low speed steadier without a hint of locking.
But maybe I'm ham-footed.

griffs
27-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Guys, we were all correct.

I was being paranoid and you were spot on with the temps. I was able to give her a decent blast last night and a moderate run. Coolish night and the temp was a max of 97. When I rode it really easy for a while I reduced it down to 94, so I guess the fact that it cooled indicates all is well.

Thanks.

Now I just need to learn how to ride it. So different to my old XJ600 - in a positive way :thumbsup: