PDA

View Full Version : Fixed brake judder sorted out

blue_toaster
23-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Having decided I had warped discs, and searching the forum for recommended replacements, I came across the idea that the bobbins can fill with crud and they can be cleaned out. So I set about with a short M10 bold and nut to clamp each bobbin and turning them by hand while sqiurting in brake cleaner as a last resort before forking out for new discs and pads.

Low and behold, the judder when pulling up slowly hasn't gone completely but it isn't far off. I'll go over it again but even if it stays as is the tip has just saved me the money for new discs.

Great tip and a great forum. Thanks.:yoparty:

Xenocide
17-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I had that too but just replaced the bloody disk in the end. 40 quid off eBay. Silly not to.

Nottsbiker
17-04-2012, 05:16 PM
If you read up on brake judder a lot of technical bods actually attribute it to uneven deposits if brake pad material on the disc and not warping.

No idea if this is likely or not but it does seem theoretically possible.

Nickj
17-04-2012, 06:47 PM
A soverign way to restore smooth function in juddery discs that aren't warped... gentle rub over the surface with fine abrasive, go and do some aggressive braking from 70+ until the rotors get hot. Hot enough to go ouch if you touch will do.
Allow to cool
Repeat
Disc surface should be good, brakes will be hard and smooth

pharaoh
03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Bought a 2002 Monster 750 recently.

Took it for a test ride, and apart from the very worn tyres and low pressures making it handle badly, the one thing I couldn't help but notice was the shake from the front end when braking.

I thought it must be a 'warped' disc, and budgeted for replacement.

I read up on this problem, and changed the origional Brembo (quite worn) pads for a set of Gold Fren. I took off the leading edge with a file, and the majority of the judder was gone. I followed this up with a clean of the bobbins, calipers and discs with 'brake cleaner'.

The brakes are now smooth and strong.

scrapps
03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I am glad you posted up this thread as the brake on my 2002 monster have just started to judder.
I will now give them a clean before looking at discs.

Cheers

utopia
03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Mine have been juddering for 3 or 4 years and I still havent got to the bottom of it.
I have at least 3 mot advisories about it.
Discs are definitely flat and true all over, well within the tolerances.
Cleaning the bobbins did help, but wasn't a total cure.
Neither was cleaning the discs with scotchbrite and fine wet and dry.
The only thing that I haven't really tried properly is the heat cycling process that Nick suggests. I think thats where the solution may well lie though.
I'm still running the original pads.

Its not a serious issue, just an annoyance that only shows up at very low speeds.
For now, I've got used to riding round it.

blue_toaster
05-08-2012, 12:43 AM
my judder came back and I ended up changing the discs for galfers from calsport. By far the cheapest new discs I could get. The braking has been smooth as silk since.

pharaoh
07-08-2012, 01:39 PM
lots of people suggesting new discs sort the problem out !

I think the origional disc/pad material is the problem, and all of the partial remodies mentioned just hide the problem.

I think blue toaster has hit on the solution - change the discs for aftermarket ones.

Enjoy !

utopia
07-08-2012, 03:06 PM
That may be a solution, but it can hardly be called a cure...more like an avoidance, and a costly one at that.
Personally, I can't believe that a long established, highly regarded company like Brembo can produce a disc with such a basic inherent fault.
My bike had two former owners, neither of whom did more than 1000m in 2 or 3 yrs each. I think that its highly likely that the brakes never got used that severely during their ownership and so the discs could well have never been properly tempered/conditioned.
Therefore, I intend to give them a serious dose of the "Nick" treatment, before I consider replacing them. I really should get round to that soon....its starting to annoy me now, particularly since my new rear EBC pads have caused the rear brake to squeal, so I'm using the fronts a little more for low speed stuff than I used to.......:dizzy:
Needless to say, I'll report my findings.

pharaoh
07-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Utopia,

my monster had severe rear brake squeal when I picked it up - plenty of copper grease has totally silenced it!

good luck with the Nick treatment - let us know how it goes!

cheers