PDA

View Full Version : Schhmokin

griffs
22-03-2012, 02:34 PM
So, after standing since 2006, my new project has had new belts, new petrol pump and filters, new battery, new plugs and a host of other non engine related things and it is nearing the time to ride.

On Sunday I started it. Amazingly, it started second time after fuel circuit was primed. Impressed!

However, it smokes a little. Not at first, but as it gets warm. White smoke, or what seems to be steam. I cant ride it so I am letting it idle with the occasional blip. Plugs are OK, maybe a little sooty.

What I think it could be is dampness inside the pipes evaporating out. Does this sound feasible. It stood for 5 years with a flimsy cover over it, in a car port.

When I turn off the engine, the exhausts smoke for about 10 mins. I don't see this on my everyday ride when I switch it off so I don't think this is normal for a monster. Which is why I am hoping it is the "system" drying out properly. Feasible??

Cheers

Nickj
22-03-2012, 08:38 PM
So how about we look at the simple and cheapest outcome item first .... This could be air filter a bit clogged, give it a clean or replace before anything else.

Next could be the injectors

Next is strip to check and pivouts around the valve seals or maybe rings.

Stuck rings is a possibility especially if the bikes been standing.

None of it is really bad

gary tompkins
22-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Or assuming you changed the old oil..? Just take it out and give it a damn good thrashing

Cheapest option of all - apart from throwing petrol in the tank

Quantox
22-03-2012, 10:57 PM
So, after standing since 2006, my new project has had new belts, new petrol pump and filters, new battery, new plugs and a host of other non engine related things and it is nearing the time to ride.

On Sunday I started it. Amazingly, it started second time after fuel circuit was primed. Impressed!

However, it smokes a little. Not at first, but as it gets warm. White smoke, or what seems to be steam. I cant ride it so I am letting it idle with the occasional blip. Plugs are OK, maybe a little sooty.

What I think it could be is dampness inside the pipes evaporating out. Does this sound feasible. It stood for 5 years with a flimsy cover over it, in a car port.

When I turn off the engine, the exhausts smoke for about 10 mins. I don't see this on my everyday ride when I switch it off so I don't think this is normal for a monster. Which is why I am hoping it is the "system" drying out properly. Feasible??

Cheers

This sounds fairly normal for a bike that's been stood around for a while. It's most likely a tiny bit of surface corrosion in the bores causing it to burn some oil and you'll need to put something like 500 miles on it to get the rings to bed in again. I've seen it on a few bikes before. A good bit of lively exercise may well sort it out. I'd certainly try letting it bed itself in again before thinking about stripping it.

Cheers

Q

Pomp1
23-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit of smoking ;) it could be a number of factors, from no money to engine strip down. Is it using up any oil at all?

griffs
23-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Air filters cleaned and so is complete fuel system.

The engine idles smooth and on fast tickover doesn't miss a beat. Starts on 1st crank so I really don't think anything is amiss.

I do think it is moisture or something because it was standing for all those years.

I will be gentle with it, but I think a decent run will help. My chain tool has arrived so now I can go ahead and put chain on and give it a decent ride.

A different story, but related to smoke. The guy I bought the bike off had a problem with his Audi A6smoking. He asked me to look it over. It hadn't been the same since he "topped up" the oil. Car had also stood for 3 months because of the smoke.

He bought 5 litres of Shell Helix and empited the lot in. He used the spacers on the dip stick, chosing the top one at the top of the dipstick as the measuring point. Not the 1 inch hi / low mark at the bottom.

To say it was smoking is an understatement. Yuo couldn't see the back of the car when he started it and it ran like a dog.

I ended up draining 5 litres of oil out of the engine. Then we had to drive out of the Hague in a smog monster! I was following in my car and his was invisible because of the smog it was creating. My plan being that there would be so much oil in the exhaust system it would need to dry out so a long drive was in order. This did the trick so I am hoping I have a similar issue, but due to dampness ast my smoke is nothing like his and it doesn't smell of oil.

So hopefully some good news this weekend.

griffs
25-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Guys,

All it needed was some running. Everything is looking normal.Thanks.

But now I have a temp question. Will post a separate thread.