PDA

View Full Version : Washing...

jonzi
19-03-2012, 07:15 PM
OK I feel silly asking this but...

How should I wash my monster?

I took it in to a place that cleans cars on the way home from work. They used a jet wash, as they were doing this I thought that perhaps I shouldn't have taken it there.

Jet washing is ok?

I want to keep it looking as new as possible for as long as possible! Any recommendations on things I should do or stuff I should get to keep it that way?

Cheers!

Grumpy
19-03-2012, 07:23 PM
you should be careful when jet washing a bike. Depending on where and how the jet is used, you can wash grease out of bearings, also if the finish on the engine is lifting, you can remove there areas with ease.

Qba
19-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't do that to mine. Too much risk of damaging electrics and brake callipers.
Use this: http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/vulcanet-water-free-cleaning/1904
and your bike will love you

Char
19-03-2012, 07:37 PM
pay Jeeves?

uksurfer
19-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I feel silly asking this but...

i agree :running:

Capo
19-03-2012, 08:19 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=42180

neilo
19-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I usually hose the bike down with water (using an adjustable spray gun), paying particular attention to wet the dirtiest areas, but also making sure not to spray water into sensitive areas such as wheel bearings, electrics, controls, instruments, etc.

I spray some muc-off on areas of bike that need particular cleaning...leave for 1-2 minutes...use a muc-off soaked microfibre cloth to give those areas a clean. I know some people don't like muc-off and say that it damages the paintwork, but I've never had any issues with it... I only apply it to areas that are already wet, and make sure it doesn't stay on long before thoroughly ridding the bike of it afterwards.

I do occasionally jet wash the bike, but not very often, and I'm very careful not to jet wash the above mentioned 'sensitive' areas.

I use a damp microfibre cloth to give all the exposed areas a clean/dry afterwards.

...next day...

Lubricate all controls, key holes, locks, springs, latches etc with GT85/WD40/muc-off bike spray (or similar). GT85 is a water displacer as well, so I spray all the electrics and controls with it.

Clean shiny parts of the exhaust system, and the wheels, with Wurth engine and wheel cleaner using a microfibre cloth - its great for getting tar off.

I've also started using Vulcanet to clean the bike, if just small areas need cleaning...it's great for that. But sometimes there's nothing like water to get into and clean all those nooks and crannies.

jonzi
19-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks Qba and Capo, think I will go grab some tomorrow.

I have been browsing about and found this place http://www.allyearbiker.co.uk/

Has any one used them before? Is it worth it?

Sam69
19-03-2012, 08:31 PM
OK I feel silly asking this but...

Cheers!

Grip it with both hands and rub as fast as you can !!!:)

uksurfer
19-03-2012, 08:34 PM
theres a few using this now, it does what it says

half price too http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/vulcanet-water-free-cleaning/1904

Thirdway
19-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Don't clean it until its cold if you are using a cleaner. Also warm water and salt are a great activated mix to corrode metal.

Use a hose, tape up silencer ends, cover controls with plaggy bags and stick some tape over the ignition hole.

Even with a hose don't go mad, dry thoroughly, start her up and get nice and hot to dry off.

throstle
19-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Raises a good point - as a lazy S.O.B. who avoids rainy riding just so he doesn't have to clean the bike afterwards.

Are there specialized or mobile bike cleaners/valets?

gary tompkins
20-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Don't jetwash = Very bad idea

utopia
20-03-2012, 02:09 AM
I. use a basic, salt free, "detergent". I bought 5l of it from Hein Gericke a few years ago, for not a lot of money.
I also use, and highly recommend, a pump up garden sprayer...the type with a seperate, pump-up tank and a lance on the end of a short hose.
This gets filled with a gallon or so of tepid water and a squirt of the "detergent", and is used to wet the whole bike with the nozzle set to a fine mist.
While that soaks for a bit, I focus on any dirtier areas using one of those flit guns, filled with a much stronger detergent solution, and my selection of brushes.
Then the main bits are done using the sprayer again, and cloths/brushes.
Finally I use the sprayer filled with clean water to rinse it all down.
Using the sprayer is much easier than getting a hosepipe out, as well as much easier to avoid drenching sensitive areas. Its also way gentler than a pressure washer while still having a little bit of blasting power.It uses very little water to clean the bike too...... usually I only have to fill it twice. They're pretty cheap too.
I also take out a bucket of clean water so I can rinse my cloths and chamois leather.

However I don't expect this process to get every nook and cranny sparkly clean. In fact, I purposely avoid certain areas as a little bit of oiliness should be tolerated here and there on a working machione, and acts to prevent corrosion too.
Areas that do need a bit more attention are dealt with using GT85, or occaisionally paraffin on the really gunky bits.

I don't really trust anything that claims to have miracle cleaning properties. They often have a reputation for damaging finishes, and anyway I don't see the need. And they're expensive.

I've heard good reports about scottoiler FS365, which is claimed to act as a non-greasy, protectant and salt neutraliser. Haven't got round to trying it yet though.

Capo
20-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Careful now, most folks wont know what a flit gun is

Musty
20-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Agree with neilo... Nothing quite like soapy water and some effort. I first wet the bike with a splashing of water using a sponge and clean water, much similar to how you bike would get wet riding in the rain. Don't use a jet washer and if you do use a hose, a fine spray/mist is what you will want to use. I also use Muc-off, not had a problem using it and its great for stubborn areas. Get yourself a variety of different sized brushes to get into those difficult to clean areas.

I have a tub of Vulcanet too, its good stuff, but not great on really mucky areas... can't help feel that its just smearing the dirt about rather than cleaning it away.

Chris & Nean
20-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Jet washings ok as long as you stay well back and alow just the mist of the spray to touch the bike.

He11cat
20-03-2012, 10:12 PM
I recall this poem from my childhood :)

The Flit Gun
By Pam Ayres

‘My mother had a flit gun
‘twas not devoid of charm
A bit of flit shot out of it
The rest shot up her arm.’*

I remember the most useless things!

utopia
20-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I recall this poem from my childhood :)

The Flit Gun
By Pam Ayres

‘My mother had a flit gun
‘twas not devoid of charm
A bit of flit shot out of it
The rest shot up her arm.’*

I remember the most useless things!

There now.
I'm glad I didn't call it "one of those squeezy, squirty things" now.

Scott1
21-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I usually do the following:

Spray bike liberally with SDoc 100, have a cup of tea, then use sponge and clean water to wash off, leave to dry.

Use Vulcanet to get any stuff of the wheels and to get into difficult areas that were missed, clean with cloth.

Coat and polish with Autoglym wax.

Hey presto gleaming bike three times a year.

banditloon
21-03-2012, 09:52 PM
I snow foamed my Monster last week, well the tank and seat hump, which was an interesting experiment!

Usually I will avoid using the pressure washer on the bike. I just stick to the two bucket rule, grit guards, two wash mitts, wheel brushes, small nylon brush for the engine, some nice and smelly Meguiars Gold Wash and an hour or three spent cleaning the bike. Rinse the bike down with the hose, wash the bike down whilst remembering to use the second bucket with clean water in to wash out the mitt, and the second mitt to wash down the engine and wheels. The chain is cleaned with a rag sprayed with WD40, the re-lubed once the bike is fully dry.

Once or maybe twice a year I will clay the tank and seat hump, polish and a wax just to try and keep the paint looking shiny.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/006-8.jpg

She can look good after a few hours spent in the workshop getting clean, just a shame riding her makes her a dirty little Monster again!! :D

At least washing my car only takes a week.... And that is with using a pressure washer!!