PDA

View Full Version : How best to chain the bike / chain length

simontt
18-03-2012, 03:58 PM
About to buy a second chain and padlock to apply onto forthcoming bike's (Monster evo) body in addtion to the one which goes round the rear wheel and the ground anchor.

What are the best and secure locations for the chain to go round the bike:

Front wheel and frame or
Rear wheel and frame?

And how long the chain length needs to be - 1m, 1.2m, 1.5m or 2m?

Where should it be stored on the move - can it be simply looped round the pillion seat?

Cheers

jamiedan2009
18-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Id say 1 and a half metre or two, front wheel and frame because its harder to tale the back wheel out, i think you can buy special chain bags (like mini tail packs) that strap onto the pillion, when im feeling a bit richer im going to buy an almax chain which is meant to be pretty damn good (i use cisa padlocks)

BigOz
18-03-2012, 06:39 PM
You need to avoid loose chain lying on the ground or it opens up the possibility of the chain being broken with a sledgehammer.

Chains big enough to resist a serious bolt cropper attack are not too portable I'd choose a big chain for your usual overnight storage and something more portable for day to day use.

I use an Almax (http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/) chain in my lockup take a look at the videos of them cutting other chains, to stop 36" croppers the chain needs to be big.

Andy

jamiedan2009
18-03-2012, 07:15 PM
You need to avoid loose chain lying on the ground or it opens up the possibility of the chain being broken with a sledgehammer.

Chains big enough to resist a serious bolt cropper attack are not too portable I'd choose a big chain for your usual overnight storage and something more portable for day to day use.

I use an Almax (http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/) chain in my lockup take a look at the videos of them cutting other chains, to stop 36" croppers the chain needs to be big.

Andy

I agree, i use the big chain + cisa at home.
when out n about i use a disclock and try to leave it in a conspicuous place with lots of pedestrians going past, but realistically, if they want your bike - theyre going to take your bike oh dear, i just depressed myself

littlejimmy12
18-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I try and park my bike next to nicer more modern bikes!

Musty
19-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Another thumbs up for Almax Chains! I have 2 of them, the Immobilizer series 3 which is light enough to take with me when I need to and an Immobilizer series 4 which sits are home with a Hardie ground anchor and Squire Padlock. I chain the front wheel at the chain is way to chunky to fit through the frame. 1.5 meters is plenty.

utopia
19-03-2012, 01:14 PM
.........(chain the).... front wheel and frame because its harder to tale the back wheel out.........

This is exactly the reason that I chain the back wheel.
Also it must be easier to move a bike with the front wheel removed than the back.
When I'm out its chain through the back wheel then joined together over the seat.
I also use a Xena alarmed disc lock on the front.

jamiedan2009
19-03-2012, 02:56 PM
This is exactly the reason that I chain the back wheel.
Also it must be easier to move a bike with the front wheel removed than the back.
When I'm out its chain through the back wheel then joined together over the seat.
I also use a Xena alarmed disc lock on the front.

I may have been a little bit sloshed when i wrote that, i knew what i meant if noone else did:look: